Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Cross platform PDF problems

Cross platform PDF problems
tpitts1
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2001, 09:54 AM

Recently I downloaded a PDF to OS X then opened it with Preview and saved it as PDF to get the preview icon to show up on the document. I did not use Acrobat on the OS X side during any of this process. Later, I ftp'd (emailed as well) the file to my PC laptop.

The file size did not change. However, all I get is a blank PDF file on my PC (using Acrobat) with the same amount of pages as on my Mac (using preview).

Then I tried to open the PDF on my Mac with Acrobat, with the same results as on the PC. So now I have a PDF file that only works with Preview.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions?

a sharp old jewel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2001, 02:23 PM

This is ABSOLUTELY a guess, but I have the feeling it might have to do with font embedding. I know that Preview doesn't embed the fonts into a pdf when it saves as pdf a document it just created (from another app's print dialog). That said, I have no idea what would happen if it were to try to save a pdf document that contained a font that wasn't installed: I doubt it would embed the font now, nor would it probably give a warning. Try downloading the pdf again and see if the original is the same size as the one you changed. Again, just a guess.

Forum Links
Forum Rules