Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > M-Audio USB vs. PCI

M-Audio USB vs. PCI
SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 06:59 PM

I am looking for a Mac surround sound solution and need some help. I have heard good things about the 5.1 PCI card, but does anyone here have any experience with their USB 7.1 device? I have a free PCI slot in my G4 as well as a free USB port, but can't decide which I should save. If I get the USB model I can use it with my iBook as well (unlikely), but it is also more likely that I can use it on a new computer down the line. PCI means its internal and doesn't waste any desk space.

Does either use more processor power? Can I plug the USB model into a hub without problems? Does anyone have another solution that I am not mentioning? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Some links.
7.1 PCI and 7.1 USB, there is also a 5.1 PCI card that will save me a few bucks.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2005, 12:52 PM

Hi SSharon,
Let reply, perhaps, better than never. The choice you make here also needs to take into account your theater setup. Are you going to run the signal into a multichannel receiver, or a computer-style powered speaker package? Do you actually have a 7.1 setup? Are you planning to upgrade the receiver/speaker end in the near future, and if so, to what?

I would expect both of these solutions to yield fairly comparable results. Positive points for each: The USB version is mobile, easy to use on any machine, easier to set up/unplug as the need arises; the PCI version is out of the way and has lots of bandwidth headroom to work with.

Negatives to both, too: USB can only handle so much data at once, daisy-chaining several devices may not yield good results; PCI means no installing it in a Mac mini, iMac, laptop, etc.

Myself, I'd choose the PCI version over USB. But look at your real requirements, think ahead a year or two, and buy what you'll actually use (as opposed to getting fancy extra features you won't honestly touch).
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 2, 2005, 06:25 PM

Hmm my theater setup huh. Well at the moment I am still in college so I am using cheap 4.1 speakers. I plan on getting better speakers once I move on. You raise an important point that I overlooked though, about the receiver having its own optical port. If I end up getting a receiver for my new setup I really don't need to have either m-audio device. So the real question for me is do I want to drop $100 to have my DVD's sound a bit better in the next year or two until I get something better. I guess I will have to think about that.

Thanks for the reply.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2005, 10:20 PM

Yeah, no problem. In my mind, it's no good spending $120 or whatever for a $40 set of speakers you won't keep around for long anyway, especially if you might end up buying an HTIB next and not need the hookup at all. Now if I could just find a solid USB/FireWire to digital audio hook for less than $100, I'd be really set.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

webraider
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2005, 01:48 PM

Some speakers now like the Klipsch
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=525
or
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=525

and Logitech 5.1's

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9486

already have built in decoding with optical ports. You can plug and play these babies with any Mac with Optical ports. Pretty smooth. For the money the Klipsch is a better buy but you can pick either one of these up at the Apple online store or other vendors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules