Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unable to restore Time Machine drive using Disk Utility

Unable to restore Time Machine drive using Disk Utility
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2011, 05:46 AM

I had a drive fail recently and it was the 2nd hard drive in my system that was only for data. It was not the primary system drive. I have a 3rd hard drive in the system which is a Time Machine Backup drive and Time Machine backs up both of my first two hard drives.
I just got the hard drive replaced so have installed it in my system and formatted the drive with the same name as the original drive that failed.
Here is my problem:
I earlier posted about how to best do a restore and the main suggestion was to go into Disk Utility, click on the new drive that replaced the crashed drive, click the Reestore tab, and then go to destination and select the destination which I put as the drive that had failed but is now replaced, I then click on Image in the Source section and select my Time Machine drive, my backups file, and go to the most recent backup that contained this drive that failed. Yet I can select it or any of the files on the hard drive but the open option is greyed out on this screen. The cancel button is the only active button.
Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there another way to restore this drive?
Thank you for your help.

OreoCookie
Mar 5, 2011, 06:46 AM

You're doing it the wrong way: restoring via Disk Utility means you're cloning the drive. Instead, what you should be doing is the following: boot the Mac with an install DVD of OS X. Then instead of choosing Disk Utility from the Utilities menu in the installer, select Restore System From Backup (the last point in the menu) and follow the instructions.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

markw10  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2011, 07:25 AM

Thank you for the above information. When I follow the steps it shows me the Time Machine drive which I select and then I have to choose where to restore the backup to and I choose the newly formatted replacement drive.
I haven't continued from that point since it says to select the disk where I want to restore my system. It doesn't appear to offer me an option of which disk to choose and the Time Machine backup has two drives on it, my main system drive and my second drive which is a data drive. The 2nd drive, the data drive, is the one I need to restore. Am I following the correct procedures or is there a way to choose to just restore this 2nd drive on the Time Machine backup instead of the main system drive?

Forum Links
Forum Rules