Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How many computers can I use Lion on? Do I need to use them on one ID?

How many computers can I use Lion on? Do I need to use them on one ID?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2011, 04:21 AM

Hello,

My house has exactly 5 Mac's in it and I wish to upgrade all of these to Lion. In the past whenever I did an OS update I purchased the family pack instead of the standard edition which covered all 5 of the Mac's we own.
Am I correct that now the 10.7 Lion edition in the Mac App Store for $29 covers 5 computers or is there a separate family pack available? Is there now just one version which covers 5 computers?

The other question is how to go about the install. Two of the computers are in my home office but the other two belong to our children and when it comes to using the Mac App Store on all of those computers they are login into my Apple ID (me.com).

The 5th computer is my wife's though and that computer is using her Apple (me.com) ID since she makes her own purchases from the Mac App Store, iTunes, and has her own me.com email on it so her computer is the one that is unique.

Will the above present any problems? Will I be able to buy Lion and install it on the 4 computers on my ID and then have her buy her own copy for her computer or is there a way that I can get one version that goes on all 5 computers even though her computer is using a different ID for the Mac App Store?

Thank you for your help.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2011, 04:30 AM

"License from Mac App Store. If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (Apple - Legal - iTunes) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:
to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;
(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software for use either: (a) by a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Apple Software on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use the Apple Software on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library; an

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software."

You will have to log in to the App Store on her machine using your account to download it, or just copy the installer over from one of the other machines (BEFORE installing it there; the installer gets erased after installation). It is within your legal rights to do so.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 14, 2011, 04:12 PM

Muhahahah I nearly drooled when I saw the new wonderfully-reworded license agreement, yes indeed: if you own it, then you can upgrade it.
Make yourself a Lion DVD.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;
I remote-control my Mom's MBP. I don't think that counts

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2011, 06:33 PM

FWIW, if you make a Lion boot image on DVD or USB, I don't believe its signed like other app store apps are.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2011, 09:49 AM

What always bugs me with App Store purchases is the problem that it's not really clear if you get charged or not for a re-download.
The only difference between buying and re-downloading I can see, is that when you buy you click on a price and if you already bought something it says "install" or something similar.
I just bought a new MBP 17" and since I already bought Lion for my old MBP I wanted to download it again...but had to confirm my credit card information (since I logged into the app store from different hardware) and had to click "buy" throughout the whole process! It made me feel like I was buying it again...

Forum Links
Forum Rules