Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What newspapers do you get and how much of them do you read?

What newspapers do you get and how much of them do you read?
SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2012, 12:29 PM

Not the most fascinating of topics, but the lounge could use something other than trolling cash.

I'll start. I get the WSJ and I skim through all the headlines and maybe read 20% of the articles in full. I also tend to be a couple months behind.

So what local and/or national papers do you get (electronic versions included), how often, how much do you read, do you recycle it afterward, are you only interested in the coupons, etc.?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

andi*pandi
Mar 13, 2012, 12:49 PM

I get the Boston Globe on Sunday. I like relaxing and reading an actual paper. The rest of the week I skim the headlines on the bostonglobe.com website, it's very readable.

They did just redesign the Globe Magazine to be smaller and more like Parade... hard to read, narrow columns, cheap paper so the photos are blurry. Considering the Magazine and the comics are the major reasons I get an actual 'paper' paper, this annoys me.

Rarely do I clip coupons. I do skim the flyers around the holidays/birthdays though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 12:55 PM

WSJ. I also skim the headlines, and read maybe 30% of the articles, mostly during lunch breaks.
I'm not getting to it everyday, and throw away old issues, since I'll never be able to catch up.

-t

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2012, 01:40 PM

I never read physical newspapers unless I'm bored and my phone has no signal and/or battery. I find journalists to be ill-informed (and to arrogantly think of themselves as exactly the opposite on every subject they ever write about) and far too quick to sensationalise everything to further their own careers.

If I am that bored (or in a waiting room that requires my device be switched off) I read the football pages or the cartoons. Maybe do a puzzle.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 04:56 PM

Print.

That's funny. Got another one?

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Print.

That's funny. Got another one?
If you read a newspaper on a kindle or other device you are welcome to share. I wasn't trying to exclude digital versions from my query.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
If you read a newspaper on a kindle or other device you are welcome to share. I wasn't trying to exclude digital versions from my query.
The fact they think that'll work for them is pretty funny too.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2012, 06:41 PM

I haven't read a physical newspaper in years. Google News is the homepage of my web browser. I also check reddit and fark to watch for unusual outrage that doesn't make Google News.

I do have news links I prefer to click: Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, National Post, The Guardian, the Telegraph. I can't say there are any American news sources that I like.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2012, 06:43 PM

Well in that case this is what I peruse in order on the regular:

- MSNBC News
- ABC News
- CNN
- Fox News
- USA Today
- My local paper's website
- Google News (and wherever that happens to take me)
- Bing News (and wherever that happens to take me)
- NY Times
- Al Jazeera
- The Root
- The Grio
- Washington Post
- BBC News
- LA Times
- Politico

I generally hit the top headlines. Then the headlines in the World News, US News, Business, Politics, and Technology sections. I'd say that I dive in and read the entire article about 35-40% of the time. The other times the article either doesn't interest me or I can get the gist from the headline itself.

OAW

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2012, 09:34 PM

The local paper, the San Antonio Express-News. I get it 7 days a week. I always read the comics. I usually skim the Metro section for news in and around San Antonio, and I usually also skim the front section for national and international stuff. It is a Hearst paper, and there is a lot that comes from other Hearst papers in different cities, illuminating news from there with a decidedly different perspective. Plus, when I've finished reading, I have packing material, a disposable mat for in front of the litter box, and so much more! (We also have curbside recycling, so what doesn't get messed up by kitty also dosen't go to a landfill.

I do not mean to indicate that I get most, or even a lot of my news from the paper, but there are times when I get a whole lot more than national and online sources provide through other media.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2012, 09:53 PM

Same here, in my case the Albuquerque Journal, which keeps me in touch with the going s on in my community. I also subscribe to the iPad only NY Times. I check Huffington, The Verge and just recently discovered Science Daily. Evening it's Yahoo just to make sure nothing has blown up since morning

iM@k
Senior User
Mar 14, 2012, 03:09 AM

I check vnews.com , concordmonitor.com, unionleader.com, and bostonglobe.com daily.
What, me worry?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2012, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Well in that case this is what I peruse in order on the regular:

- MSNBC News
- ABC News
- CNN
- Fox News
- USA Today
- My local paper's website
- Google News (and wherever that happens to take me)
- Bing News (and wherever that happens to take me)
- NY Times
- Al Jazeera
- The Root
- The Grio
- Washington Post
- BBC News
- LA Times
- Politico

I'd say that I dive in and read the entire article about 35-40% of the time.

OAW
Where do you find the time?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Seriously. That is a lot of news sources.

Better to keep the conversation to newspapers only. Print or digital version is fine, I'm only trying to exclude news sources that are only online.

OAW must know everything that is going on the world. Do you have anything interesting to share that we probably don't know about? Alien invasion perhaps.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2012, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I work in IT. So I'm on my laptop all day. Multi-tasking is the norm for me. It's a lot of sites listed for sure. Some I might look at a dozen articles. Others two or three. Others maybe just the headlines. But it generally takes about 30-45 minutes total for me to take a look at the articles on those sites I'm interested in. And even that is spread out across the entire day.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2012, 06:55 PM

Seriously. That is a lot of news sources.

Better to keep the conversation to newspapers only. Print or digital version is fine, I'm only trying to exclude news sources that are only online.

OAW must know everything that is going on the world. Do you have anything interesting to share that we probably don't know about? Alien invasion perhaps.
I do try to stay up on things. Haven't heard of any aliens coming. But I'll be sure to give you a heads up if I do.

OAW

PB2K
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2012, 03:04 AM

I have a subscription to the Economist. I used to enjoy reading that magazine. But the last 6 months I barely read as much articles as i used to do. News about UK and USA are not as interesting as they used to be.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2012, 01:49 PM

Print.
It was an great magazine… not anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules