Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > How to remove dock shelf in Mavericks?

How to remove dock shelf in Mavericks?
OS2Guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2013, 08:26 PM

Installed Mavericks and my dock shelf has returned after successfully removing it from previous OS X upgrades. I've tried all the third party dock utility applications like Docker, Dock Designer, CandyBar and all promise to remove the shelf but fail to do so. Doesn't anyone know in what subdirectory the graphics for the shelf are placed in? I can delete those shelf graphics if I know where to look. They used to be in the Dock.app Resources package but I don's see them there (unless they have changed the name from scurve... to something else).

Thanks.

Khaat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2013, 11:34 PM

Thanks for asking this! I updated today and this was the first thing I noticed - not in a good way. I would love to remove or otherwise make the dock highly translucent. I use a dark background and it's just so bright and in my face. Side note, I keep the dock on the left side of my screen and it's even more hideous there then at the bottom. I'll have to hide it for now I guess, but I'm doing the same searching as you.

hansmickle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2013, 04:54 PM

according to a forum entry on one of the former dock tweaks site. 10.9 embeds the dock stuff within the OS, supposedly, where it is not available to 3rd party hacks. Sob!

OS2Guy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2013, 12:20 AM

It looks like Apple is determined to force that shelf on us. Therefore I've dropped Mavericks and returned to Mountain Lion. I want an OS that works for me and not against me. Understand that I use two 30" Cinema displays that act as one 5 foot display and that shelf spreads across both displays, is abrasive, loud and distracting. No reason for Apple to be so controlling. I won't go back to Mavericks until I'm convinced the shelf can be removed. Keep it up Apple and I'll move to Windows 8 and stop buying your computers and devices. And yes, I'm on your top-of-line Mac Pro tweaked as far as I can take it - some $7,000 worth of upgrades. I was looking forward to buying the new sleeker Mac Pro but that's off the table now as long as that shelf can't be removed. Seems minor I know but it isn't a minor item to me.

BTW, Apple has failed the Preview Application in Mavericks. Users can no longer change size in batch mode. Preview seems to get screwed up in every new release of OS X and so many people depend on it. I'm a movie and image editor by trade and rely on Preview to change the size of hundreds of images at once - you cannot do this with the Preview offered in Mavericks. That feature fails. Another reason to go back to or stay with Mountain Lion. As IBM's former OS2Guy I find these kinds of failures embarrassing for Apple.
( Last edited by OS2Guy; Nov 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: additional info)

Forum Links
Forum Rules