Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Touching the Void - Great Movie

Touching the Void - Great Movie
ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 11:00 AM

Anyone else see this movie? I just rented it, and am in awe.
If one doesn't come away with a belief in a higher power, then
there is something wrong with you. (IMHO).

Link

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 11:07 AM

It is an excellent movie. However, I did not come away with a belief in a higher power, rather with a belief in Joe Simpson as an incredibly resourceful and courageous man.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
It is an excellent movie. However, I did not come away with a belief in a higher power, rather with a belief in Joe Simpson as an incredibly resourceful and courageous man.
The resources where there, but they were a gift from God. His entire journey from the crevace to the camp had moments where little cues made him wake up, or keep moving. The sound of running water; the little seeping water from the rockes he found..., etc. The entire journey was an act of intervention from a power beyond his resourcefulness. He had all but given up in the crevase as well, and something gave him the strenght to decend into his greatest fear. The darkness below. It was incredible and I saw signs of an interviening power throughout his journey.

He even stated he did not believe in God as he kept thinking how he never even thought of praying, yet at the end of his journey, he stated differently. He even had strength to forgive his friend Joe for cutting him loose and then leaving him without looking. It was a heart wrenching story, and I feel the better for whitnessing their story.

If you don't believe in a higher power, which you have stated, that doesn't mean one was not related in the telling of their story.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by ghost_flash:
Anyone else see this movie? I just rented it, and am in awe.
If one doesn't come away with a belief in a higher power, then
there is something wrong with you. (IMHO).
Higher power? they are just climbing a damn mountain.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2004, 01:37 PM

He even stated he did not believe in God as he kept thinking how he never even thought of praying, yet at the end of his journey, he stated differently.
He did not change his viewpoint at the end of the story. He states quite clearly that God and religion had nothing to do with his getting through the ordeal. Perhaps you need to see it again. And read the book.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 02:13 PM

He even stated he did not believe in God as he kept thinking how he never even thought of praying, yet at the end of his journey, he stated differently. He even had strength to forgive his friend Joe for cutting him loose and then leaving him without looking. It was a heart wrenching story, and I feel the better for whitnessing their story.
In life and death situations you will find just about everyone ends up praying. Once it is all over with most of them come back to reality.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2004, 02:15 PM

For the sake of the topic started, let's keep this discussion secular.

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
For the sake of the topic started, let's keep this discussion secular.
I started the thread, and keeping it secular is not what I had in mind. If one wishes to post in a secular manner, it would not detract from the thread or the fact that the movie was incredible and based on an even more incredible story.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
just? JUST?
we don't have time to stop for gas

ghost_flash  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I agree with this statement: "They *were* just climbing a damn mountain."

It was on the way down that got them into trouble... God gave them a free pass up, but added a toll for the way down. A wake-up-call if you will.

Forum Links
Forum Rules