Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Scuff on the black hinge of unibody MacBook Pro

Scuff on the black hinge of unibody MacBook Pro
reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2010, 06:42 PM

Hi,

I just got the new Core i7 15" MBP and when I got it out of the box, I noticed an inch long and 2mm thick scuff on the black hinge. The laptop otherwise is perfect, but I'm a bit of perfectionist. I don't really wanna go and replace it since the screen and everything is perfect. Is there a way to get rid of it? It's basically a scuff (plastic appears brighter than the rest) and iKlear isn't helping.

If you guys have no idea how to do it, then I might just think about it overnight and either keep it or exchange it.

Thanks

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 08:09 PM

Interesting question. I used to have this stuff that was for scratches on iPod cases. It was great for that. It was a 3 solution thing. Sorry. I forgot the name of it.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 20, 2010, 11:19 PM

That stuff was AppleSauce, if I remember right.

I wouldn't worry about a small scuff. There is much worse about to happen to your new laptop.

That said, it's brand new, and if it doesn't meet your standards return it.

reRESERVEDMD  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2010, 12:49 AM

Thanks guys!

I ended up returning it and the new one is perfect. I'm in the process of setting the whole thing up and I see something that looks like a chipped glass up top, but I only hope it's just some glue sticking out from between glass and rubber gasket. The chip is around a mm long and just on the edge. I don't think that would go bad over time?

As for the laptop itself. It's mighty quick and they finally reworked the hinge a little bit, so it's stiffer than the old one which was total crap!

Soon, I'm gonna post a small review on my blog [rereservedmd.tumblr.com] I will probably have it up by Saturday night.

Thanks for help!

- Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules