Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Annoyed by no voice while surfing on verizon? Prepare to be annoyed again :(

Annoyed by no voice while surfing on verizon? Prepare to be annoyed again :(
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2012, 06:08 PM

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-5-on-Verizon-Wont-Support-Simultaneous-VoiceData-121192
Is anyone clenching about these news?

P
Sep 15, 2012, 03:52 AM

Another sideeffect of Apple only making two phone models for the entire planet. If they could have sprung for a third model, we could have had this feature and reliable LTE in Europe, but apparently the supply chain simplicity is more important than itty-bitty details like that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2012, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Another sideeffect of Apple only making two phone models for the entire planet. If they could have sprung for a third model, we could have had this feature and reliable LTE in Europe, but apparently the supply chain simplicity is more important than itty-bitty details like that.
Karl Bode" url="http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/iPhone-5-on-Verizon-Wont-Support-Simultaneous-VoiceData-121192"]In short, with voice-over-LTE still not out of the oven, current Verizon LTE phones make calls over the older CDMA network. Apple didn't want to make another variant with the extra internals and antennas (adding weight, size) needed allowing this to happen -- so they didn't. Most carriers expect to have voice over LTE service seriously deployed by the second half of 2013.[/quote]

Seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise to me. I appreciate Apple's keep is simple approach to most things.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise to me. I appreciate Apple's keep is simple approach to most things.
Exactly. And how often do you REALLY need to talk and use data at the same time? I've never missed it to be honest.

P
Sep 15, 2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post

It just shows what their focus is. First, they basically make the Verizon phone and the AT&T phone, and the rest of the world can get by on what else they can squeeze in. Second, a feature like this - which is a real thing someone might want to use, not "1.5 GHz quadcore power!!!" - is deemed less important than keeping the variants low. It's not even about SKUs, as it's still three SKUs - the CDMA junk is just not activated on the world phone (=GSM outside North America).

I know that it's very popular to say this right now, but this is very much a Tim Cook move.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules