Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Do I need Adobe Flash Player?

Do I need Adobe Flash Player?
Topaz
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2013, 12:48 PM

Having been troubled by pop up ads for sometime I found the only solution was not only to tick the pop up windows blocker in Safari prefs but also to uncheck Enable Java and Enable Java script. However when viewing my Flickr account I am advised to enable Java and Java script to be able to update Adobe Flash Player which apparently I need. Should I enable both to update Flash Player then close again? Do I really need Flash Player? Any advice please?

andi*pandi
Mar 26, 2013, 02:59 PM

If you're going to use it, you need to update it. There are many websites that reserve their shiny HTML5 content for those coming from mobile, so it's worth keeping around still.

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
If you're going to use it, you need to update it. There are many websites that reserve their shiny HTML5 content for those coming from mobile, so it's worth keeping around still.
Shouldn't be too hard to spoof a mobile device...or you could surf the web in Safari for iOS using the iOS Simulator in XCode.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2013, 06:26 PM

You need JavaScript (which has nothing to do with Java, despite the similar name).

Java you should leave unchecked, unless there is a website that absolutely requires it (and it sounds like Flickr does). In that case, make sure you are BANG UP TO DATE on your version of Java AT ALL TIMES as it's a very significant security risk (by this I mean VERY SUPER SERIOUS SECURITY BREACH) to be running an out-of-date version.

IMO Flash should be installed but blocked, using something like ClickToFlash or just a good ol' adblocker. As with Java, it's VERY important to be running THE latest (non-beta) version at all times, as Flash is another web plugin that has turned out to be a major weakness in Mac security. Although one could, perhaps, get along with Flash, it's still (stupidly) in wide use so you might come across some site that needs it for something OTHER than annoying animated/video ads, such as online games.

Sounds like you are a prime candidate for AdBlock, a plugin for Safari and FF and presumably other browsers as well. That + the setting you've already enabled should cut the pop-ups right down to nearly nothing.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

OreoCookie
Mar 27, 2013, 04:43 AM

You should at least activate ClickToFlash: you wouldn't believe how much CPU horse power those flash ads can suck from your system.

However, I went for a different route: I have deinstalled Flash and use Safari most of the time. For sites which rely on Flash, I launch Chrome.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Topaz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Sounds like you are a prime candidate for AdBlock, a plugin for Safari and FF and presumably other browsers as well....
Thanks for that. However regarding AdBlock I was told about a similar app called Glimmerblocker which I downloaded and installed. What a disaster! It stopped all my Internet connections, Safari and Chrome, until I managed to deactivate it! Will AdBlock do the same?

Incidentally as I hover my mouse over certain words in your reply I get pop up ads. Is this connected to all the above? Also I have Little Snitch activated to stop any third party connections .... does that help or hinder? Thanks again.

Thorzdad
Mar 27, 2013, 08:15 AM

No, AdBock will not kill your internet connection, unless you get crazy-aggressive with custom filtering. It's a must-have, imho. The default install will block most of the advertising you encounter.

As for Little Snitch...It's good for discovering outgoing traffic from your system. Unless you think you have software that is making suspicious outgoing connections (or, if you're trying to keep pirated software from phoning home for serial number verification), there really isn't a need for it running constantly.

P
Mar 27, 2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Incidentally as I hover my mouse over certain words in your reply I get pop up ads. Is this connected to all the above? Also I have Little Snitch activated to stop any third party connections .... does that help or hinder? Thanks again.
That should not happen. I think you have some sort of adware installed on your computer, or possibly in the network you're using to connect. Please check your network settings to see if you are using a proxy server.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Topaz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2013, 01:02 PM

Just to confirm that GlimmerBlocker is ok. After emptying my internet cache and history I tried again and all was ok. I think your point about Little Snitch was well founded and I suspect that was the probable cause of the malfunction.

Regarding CoupondropDown (aka Yontoo) ads!

As a postscript to all this thread I can now confirm that at last all drop down ads are now gone (I think )! Having sieved through all respective ad blockers I discovered an answer how to remove all my drop down ads appearing on Flickr and beyond. I now gladly share with anyone affected. Visit the url below and it should take you to a dedicated page of instructions for Macs.

How to Uninstall Drop Down Deals - Sambreel - Safari Menu (OS X; Safari)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2013, 01:37 PM

I thought OS X's malware signature file had been updated to block Yontoo?

Topaz  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I thought OS X's malware signature file had been updated to block Yontoo?
Yes so did I, ... hence my confusion. It is only when you are subjected to these ads you feel helpless. Anyway all clear now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules