Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does every thread have to be about Iraq?????

Does every thread have to be about Iraq?????
willed
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 09:23 AM

To: the three(ish) people who are pro-war and keep on posting about it (ie Atef, Spacefreak and Zimphire)

STFU. Talk about something else.
Mods, could you set up an Iraq Flaming forum for these three and those who humour them with replies?

I thank you.

The End.

snotnose
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 09:41 AM

protests accomplish nothing...
Nothing is older than the idea of new

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 10:52 AM

Oh. Yeah. I forgot. You too.

Mullah Omar
Banned
Location: Paris & Berlin, political advisor to Chirac and Schr�der.
Feb 16, 2003, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by willed:
To: the three(ish) people who are pro-war and keep on posting about it (ie Atef, Spacefreak and Zimphire)

STFU. Talk about something else.
Mods, could you set up an Iraq Flaming forum for these three and those who humour them with replies?

I thank you.

The End.
are you insane? I DON'T start threads--there are only 4-7 that I have ever started. In fact, if you bothered to tally them, you'd see that most of the Iraq-based, America-based, and Bush-based threads are started by left-wingers, liberals, or those with an ANTI-war, ANTI-Great Satan, and ANTI-Bush tilt.

Given that this is soooo farking obvious, I don't see how you managed to become so misguided. Jeez.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 11:50 AM

Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 11:55 AM

I'm all for an Iraq/North Korea/war-in-general forum, so the same 5 or so people here can have their own little romper room. I doubt that's going to happen however, and so the lounge will continue to go downhill.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Feb 16, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I'm all for an Iraq/North Korea/war-in-general forum, so the same 5 or so people here can have their own little romper room. I doubt that's going to happen however, and so the lounge will continue to go downhill.
what he said
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I third the motion.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Mullah Omar
Banned
Location: Paris & Berlin, political advisor to Chirac and Schr�der.
Feb 16, 2003, 12:17 PM

the Lounge would indeed be better off if there was a quarantine section for political, foreign policy, war/anti-war, NK, Iraq, etc.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Mullah Omar:
the Lounge would indeed be better off if there was a quarantine section for political, foreign policy, war/anti-war, NK, Iraq, etc.
Or just for you in fact?

I think this calls for a:

dillerX
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I third the motion.
Motion passes. Make it so Mr. Demon.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Tristrami
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 02:16 PM

God, yes!

Get them out of here!

NosniboR80
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 02:31 PM

I'm actually curious why you all have a problem with people talking politics and war/peace in particular threads. I'm serious.

Does it annoy you to take the extra nanosecond to shift your eyes over the title of an iraq or NK thread to one about waking up as the opposite sex? Besides that, how could it bother you? (I know my comment was loaded, but I really am seriously curious.)

Sure there are some idiot right-wingers, but there are smart but insanely conspiracy-theory people on the left in these forums too. Everyone should recognize this fact. Some people actually like to talk about this stuff, as opposed to guessing how many times they touch themselves a year.
Semper Fi

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by NosniboR80:
I'm actually curious why you all have a problem with people talking politics and war/peace in particular threads. I'm serious.
yeah maybe.....but we've heard *every* argument on *both* sides of the issue so many times now....it is soooooo redundant.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Demonhood
Administrator
Feb 16, 2003, 04:58 PM

i don't have a problem with people discussing politics, war, bush, terrorism, etc...
but, there certainly have been a lot of threads about these subjects the past few months. which is to be expected since we're close to another war. i doubt if the other admins/mods will want to create a separate forum just for this subject, especially if a war doesn't happen and the topic peeters out in a few months.
now, if fewer topics about the war were started than have been recently, i certainly wouldn't complain. but they can voice their opinions all they want in here as long as they remain civil (which seems to be very difficult for some of them).

but i'll pass the idea by the mods.
in the meantime, i would encourage all of those sick of war threads to start some non war-related topics in here.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 09:58 PM

Hmmm. It's interesting that willed's complaint only lists 3 people, all of whom are pro-removal of Saddam.

If you don't like the threads, then don't read them. The subject line contains all the necessary information you need to avoid such threads.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
but i'll pass the idea by the mods.
Be careful about establishing the wrong precedent here.

Will all major current events topics eventually require their own forum, because a few people are so offended by what is discussed in a thread they could easily have avoided in the first place?

I find it so ironic that the same people who preach for freedom of expression are also the same people who wish to limit that expression when it doesn't agree with them.

I began my posting IN RESPONSE to ridiculous, baseless, and downright fictional claims of Bush Administration corruption, warmongering, oil-grubbing, and election-stealing. Only now that I've started my own threads - defending the man and the US decision to use force if necessary - do the requests for discussion thread quarantines arise.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 10:26 PM

I agree with the Hood. The issue isn't the threads, it's the number of threads. This is the problem though:

Someone starts a War Thread.
Interesting discussion ensues.
Eventually someone says something stupid.
Flame war ensues.
Thread fizzles out and dies.
Someone makes a new War Thread.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
I agree with the Hood. The issue isn't the threads, it's the number of threads. This is the problem though:

Someone starts a War Thread.
Interesting discussion ensues.
Eventually someone says something stupid.
Flame war ensues.
Thread fizzles out and dies.
Someone makes a new War Thread.
Turn on any network or cable news channel. Look at the headlines in ALL major newspapers. USA/IRAQ is dominating world news. It only makes sense that this would reflect in a public discussion forum. By this logic, our government should relegate all Iraq coverage to a 'foreign-affairs' only newspaper and/or TV channel. All IRAQ & foreign affairs coverage would be banned from mainstream media as restricted by the government.

Or, you can do what a lot of other people do. Skip right to the sports section, change the channel, or find another thread. It's pretty darn simple.

As for the scenario quoted above, in the hot and heavy discussions, slightly different issues arise and evolve. That is what prompts new 'war' threads, at least from me.

There are many different issues to war. Trying to restrict all of the different issues, platforms, and positions to just one 'war' thread is unacceptable for promoting and continuing debate and discussion.

Thank you.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Feb 17, 2003, 12:59 AM

I'm getting terribly sick of all the political bullshit too.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Turn on any network or cable news channel. Look at the headlines in ALL major newspapers. USA/IRAQ is dominating world news. It only makes sense that this would reflect in a public discussion forum. By this logic, our government should relegate all Iraq coverage to a 'foreign-affairs' only newspaper and/or TV channel. All IRAQ & foreign affairs coverage would be banned from mainstream media as restricted by the government.

Or, you can do what a lot of other people do. Skip right to the sports section, change the channel, or find another thread. It's pretty darn simple.

As for the scenario quoted above, in the hot and heavy discussions, slightly different issues arise and evolve. That is what prompts new 'war' threads, at least from me.

There are many different issues to war. Trying to restrict all of the different issues, platforms, and positions to just one 'war' thread is unacceptable for promoting and continuing debate and discussion.

Thank you.
Oh please. This forum is not mainstream media, it's a fucking discussion section of an Apple Computer news site. Your take on my summation of the Lounge is totally out of context, with a blatant disregard for all of the sarcasm that is just oozing out of it.

You're welcome.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 02:02 AM

Oh please. This forum is not mainstream media, it's a fucking discussion section of an Apple Computer news site. Your take on my summation of the Lounge is totally out of context, with a blatant disregard for all of the sarcasm that is just oozing out of it.
Where did I say these forums are mainstream media? How is MY take on your lounge summation out of context? Sarcasm? Where?

I just don't see your points.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 02:30 AM

Christ. I'm not going to play the "that's not what I said" game with you.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by rampant:
I'm getting terribly sick of all the political bullshit too.

You've started more than your fair share of Iraq threads. Hypocrit

This forum is for the discussion of just about everything that doesn't fit in the other forums. I don't see what is wrong about political discussions, as long as they don't become flame wars.

I would like to see a Political forum.
In vino veritas.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 17, 2003, 04:11 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:

I would like to see a Political forum.
I would too. That way I might be able to ignore them all.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2003, 09:27 AM

Lose arguments then try to have the winners silenced.

Typical response from the liberal left.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 17, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Lose arguments then try to have the winners silenced.

Typical response from the liberal left.
It seems the habit lately is to derailed the thread so much it is locked. People have obviously been doing it on purpose lately.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 08:48 PM

Christ. I'm not going to play the "that's not what I said" game with you.
No game here, just curious as to why you are debating me on points I never made.

Forum Links
Forum Rules