Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > will i need a Tablet? SHOULD i get a tablet?

will i need a Tablet? SHOULD i get a tablet?
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 02:24 PM

I'm taking 2 Photoshop classes, and a dreamweaver and web design class this semester as i'd like to start working on more computer graphics, print design things...so my question is, will i need a table for this? i've been using Photoshop for 3 years now w/o one, and i know alot...but will I use one in class? is it easier?

Thor
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2004, 03:48 PM

It kind of depends on how you use Photoshop.

If you are doing digital art and have a background in traditional media (drawing sketching, etc.) a tablet is invaluable.
Of course, a tablet won't make you a better artist.

If you're using Photoshop for color correction, compositing images, etc., a tablet is less crucial, but still can be useful. (i.e.: selections, masking, dodge & burn tools)

If you haven't had a situation in the past three years where you thought "Man, a tablet would come in handy for this!"... you probly can live without one.

I guess it comes down to: Do you want a tablet or not?

graphicpush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 11:52 PM

I dunno. I come from a traditional art background, and I find tablets clunky ... I like the mouse. Our creative director is a Flash/web guru and uses a tablet, so go figure. I have never found them particularly useful, but I think it takes a concerted effort to learn the nuances.

ghotirsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 05:54 AM

I'll approach this from an angle you might not have thought of...
For a long time, I did the 9-5 thing in front of a computer (tech/hardware/software support, etc) then would come home and do graphics/web design work until I went to sleep.
Carpal Tunnel was in my future for sure.
I had wrist pains, numbness, all the symptoms of a potential CT problem.
I read somewhere (I can't remember where) about a guy who went out, got a tablet/pen and his CT problems went away.
What did I have to lose?
I haven't gone back to a regular mouse since.
At first, getting the nuances and tablet technique vs mouse technique for every day, non-graphics use was weird. But I haven't looked back since.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by ghotirsd:
I'll approach this from an angle you might not have thought of...
For a long time, I did the 9-5 thing in front of a computer (tech/hardware/software support, etc) then would come home and do graphics/web design work until I went to sleep.
Carpal Tunnel was in my future for sure.
I had wrist pains, numbness, all the symptoms of a potential CT problem.
I read somewhere (I can't remember where) about a guy who went out, got a tablet/pen and his CT problems went away.
What did I have to lose?
I haven't gone back to a regular mouse since.
At first, getting the nuances and tablet technique vs mouse technique for every day, non-graphics use was weird. But I haven't looked back since.
I had a similar experience, but it was with Powerpoint of all crappy things. I worked doing web design back in 95 and other print related graphics (internal marketing/sales literature).

Powerpoint killed my hand because of repeated use of the mouse-click. I literally was in pain from too much clicking. If you've ever used powerpoint its click on the item, then right-click to a menu, then click on an option, then click its choice until you have what you wanted. Its the WORST interface for finding items I've ever used.

I brought in my wacom tablet from home and my pain lessened and eventually went away. By the time I was finished with powerpoint and doing regular quark/illustrator/photoshop and at the time hand html I was fine.

If you want the ability to affect opacity and have the art background you mentioned, I'd get the tablet 6x8 and be happy with it. You'll get used to the nuances and you can even revert to your mouse if you like.
( Last edited by bluedog; Jan 13, 2004 at 03:14 PM. )

Thor
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 04:35 PM

I come from a traditional art background, and I find tablets clunky
You've obviously never used a tablet with Painter.

wreks
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by SOLIDAge:
I'm taking 2 Photoshop classes, and a dreamweaver and web design class this semester as i'd like to start working on more computer graphics, print design things...so my question is, will i need a table for this? i've been using Photoshop for 3 years now w/o one, and i know alot...but will I use one in class? is it easier?
I was back and forth on whether to get one or not too. Couple months ago I decided to just buy a cheap (as in not $200) model to try out. I saw the graphire3s and liked that they weren't ugly like the previous 2 graphires so I picked one of those up. I'm happy with it, it's another input device, usually it's more comfortable for photoshop/illustrator but sometimes I find myself using my mouse as well. Definitely better for masking stuff and putting down anchor points. Maybe you want to check it out, I got the grey model.

graphire3
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../-/B0000C4DVX/

my mouse which I also recommend, a regular mouse starts hurting my wrist if I'm doing too much work, but this doesn't. The cordless also means I can use it on my knee if I want (or from across the room).
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/B00004VUGJ

dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 10:36 PM

I've had a 12 x 18 Wacom Tablet in my office for nearly 8 years. We've upgraded tablets with connection changes on the Mac.
I wouldn't live without it. I can't tell you how many weeks worth of Photoshop outlining and feathering I've saved. The tablet will increase your quality of work in the sense of smoother blends and more natural outlining. I wouldn't recommend replacing your mouse, but is definite gear for any designer. I can't explain Thor's reasoning behind 'if you haven't had a need for one... blah blah blah'. Then explain to me the Microwave, Internet and cell phones. We didn't need those either, but can hardly live without them. No offense Thor

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 08:38 PM

Hi SOLIDAge,

I am working doing graphic stuff on Mac for about 15 years now. I have used Photoshop since day one (and even some predecessors) but I have been using a tablet only for the last 7 years... first because of the price drop, and second, because I was an ignorant!
IT IS NEEDED! You will love it as much as I do! I do not use a mouse anymore. The natural pencil position will convince you in couple of hours! And I wil not mention again the 10 000 advantages of the pen/eraser...
Go for it, buy one, try some to be sure of the size you need.
Have FUN!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 09:15 PM

You won't know if you need one til you try one. I would go ahead and buy a medium one, try it for some of the tasks you do most often, then upgrade to a larger one if you like it. It's really a matter of personal preference in the end.

Forum Links
Forum Rules