Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > When did you switch from OS 9?

View Poll Results: When did you move from OS 9 to OS c
Poll Options:
Public Beta ('00-early '01) 106 votes (27.25%)
Mac OS X v10.0 (early-mid '01) 127 votes (32.65%)
Mac OS X v10.1 (late '01-mid '02) 105 votes (26.99%)
Jaguar, v10.2 (late '02-early late '03) 45 votes (11.57%)
Panther, v10.3 (late '03-early '04 so far) 6 votes (1.54%)
Voters: 389. You may not vote on this poll
When did you switch from OS 9?
ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 02:17 AM

When did you move into the dark, untouched lands of OS X from the warm, comforting home of OS 9 or OS 8?
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by ryaxnb:
When did you move into the dark, untouched lands of OS X from the warm, comforting home of OS 9 or OS 8?
Friendly, useful lands of OSX, from the grey and hostile trap of OS9 perhaps?

ryaxnb  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Catfish_Man:
Friendly, useful lands of OSX, from the grey and hostile trap of OS9 perhaps?
Whatever. Were you the guy who switched to X by the public beta? Weird. Anyway, I only know these things by reading; I switched from Windows instead.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

SLam
Jan 23, 2004, 04:04 AM

I switched during the Public Beta days. But I didn't use it 100% of the time. I didn't fully migrated until 10.1. Upgrading my Blue & White to a G4 600MHz also made the migration less painful. (OS X on a G3 300MHz was dog slow) Now I don't remember the last time I used Classic.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 04:46 AM

I first installed OS X sometime in the summer of 2002 after I got my first G3 Mac, a 233 MHz Wallstreet with 160 MB of RAM. So it was basically the slowest machine that could run OS X at all, and we're talking 10.1 here. I switched between OS X and OS 9 often until I got a G4 PowerMac later that year, which included Jaguar.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 04:55 AM

I switched to Mac OS X with 10.0. I had the public beta and used it but in those days i used Mac OS 9 most of the time.

I was more than glad to switch to 10.0 as i couldn't bare the troubles with Mac OS 9 anymore.
After every software install checking of some troublesome systemextentions were installed, one or two crashes a week, regularly recreate the desktop...

I traded very happily the GUI responsiveness against the stability and the ease of use of Mac OS X.

tRr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 04:59 AM

My hard drive had just died (an IBM DeathStar....) and 10.1 had just come out about a week before that happened. I wasn't going to take the time getting OS 9 all back up since I was planning on migrating to X eventually, so that plan was just accelerated and the learning began

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 07:27 AM

When photoshopworked on OS X.

Whenever that was. It was still too early. OS X was still kinda raw and a hassle to use.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Thor
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 07:27 AM

I switched during the Public Beta days. But I didn't use it 100% of the time. I didn't fully migrated until 10.1.

Ditto.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 08:10 AM

10.1. When DVD player was finally working (Pismo).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 10:07 AM

I switched too soon.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 10:18 AM

been using it since 10.0. it was good, but was pretty sluggish. 10.1 was when i reall stood up and said woohoo this is friggin fantastic. it just keeps getting better with 10.2 and 10.3. as soon as they get the weird networking fixed in 10.3 is will be the best ever.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2004, 10:23 AM

I didn't want to deal with trying OSX on my old Power Computing clone, so I waited until 10.1 came installed on new machines and bought a PowerBook then (Nov. '01). Transition was very smooth for me.

Buck_W
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 12:46 PM

I purchased 10.0 when I bought my Cube. After becoming with frustrated with it, I put it on the shelf and went back to OS 9. I didn't move back to X until 10.2. Now, I'm running the current version of Panther and love it! I can't imagine ever using anything else.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

techtrucker
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 12:50 PM

I was the early adopter, installed the Public Beta on my 233 iMac the day it came out. No regrets either!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 01:09 PM

Started using OS X as much as possible (native software as limiting factor) when the Public Beta came out (was using a blue & white G3/450 back then). Haven't looked back.
Completely quit using OS 9/Classic when 10.1 was released. I'm so disoriented now when I have to use OS 9 on someone else's computer.
The Mac that replaced the B&W G3, a dual 800MHz G4 Quicksilver, had OS 9 deleted upon first boot.


Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 01:26 PM

I installed the PB, but with no apps it was fairly useless. When the final came out I fully swithed (I had been playing with 'leaked' builds as well). Now I don't even have a working version of Classic on my machine.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2004, 02:03 PM

I went "full time" (aka around 90+ %) around 10.1. Up until then, I was in OS 9 land with a trip to X every few days to play around with this or that.

Anyone that says "public beta' are full of crap. Even 10.0 is hard to take... Maybe if you surf the web and email (and that's about it)

Macola
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 02:13 PM

You need another option in the poll that covers those of us who switched on our primary Mac but still keep OS 9 on another Mac (or on another partition) because we can't live with Classic...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

ryaxnb  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 02:30 PM

Wow - I'm surprised how few users moved to 10.2 from 9, and how many moved to Beta/10.0 instead of waiting for 10.1.

ryaxnb  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
You need another option in the poll that covers those of us who switched on our primary Mac but still keep OS 9 on another Mac (or on another partition) because we can't live with Classic...
Oh? Huh? I still have Classic, still use it for some things. I meant OS X at bootup, not not using 9 inside X.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2004, 03:03 PM

Wow - I'm surprised how few users moved to 10.2 from 9, and how many moved to Beta/10.0 instead of waiting for 10.1.
Hey, 10.0 and 10.1 weren't great, but they were a lot of fun to play with. And we had been waiting for them for a long time...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dubya's Dealer
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2004, 03:26 PM

Actually I didn't really switch, I bought a titanium powerbook after doing the windows at home, mac or windows at work thing for a couple years. Apple lost me somewhere, and even though I liked OS 9, and still do - I still use it at work - OS X plus the tiBooks were just revolutionary in my eyes. At the time I was on the verge of going Linux fulltime, so fed up was I with Windows...

Some people I work with are still skeptical about OS X, being old gaurd OS Niners. This is France by the way, and folks have a reputation for being stubborn, even a little behind the times. Then again the French gave us BeOs...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2004, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by Dubya's Dealer:
Actually I didn't really switch, I bought a titanium powerbook after doing the windows at home, mac or windows at work thing for a couple years. Apple lost me somewhere, and even though I liked OS 9, and still do - I still use it at work - OS X plus the tiBooks were just revolutionary in my eyes. At the time I was on the verge of going Linux fulltime, so fed up was I with Windows...

Some people I work with are still skeptical about OS X, being old gaurd OS Niners. This is France by the way, and folks have a reputation for being stubborn, even a little behind the times. Then again the French gave us BeOs...
You mean a french person came to the United States and had engineers create the BeOS.

With regards to the french (and even MANY designers and printers in the US), they don't want to upgrade. What they have works and they think everyone should have the exact same setup. I had someone on the phone the other day that refused to give me Quark files because I told her that I was using Quark 6. She only had 4.1 and felt obligated to tell me how horrible Quark 5 and 6 are...

Oh well... she was a good designer.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2004, 04:41 PM

I switched full time with 10.0.4. Before that OSX was just too irritating. When 10.1 came out, it was finally a nice OS.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 04:42 PM

I switched at the Public Beta...damn that thing sucked. then again i really didn't know how to use it. i thought the dock was stupid and everything just looked wrong to me all i did was use the genie effect with the dock...that kept me interested for hours

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 04:50 PM

I bought and installed the PB, but I can't claim to have "switched" at that point. I doubt few can. It sucked.

I started useing 10.0 pretty regularly. By 10.1 I was no longer booting into 9, just using classic. So in all honesty that was probably where I switched.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2004, 08:20 PM

I voted 10.1 as that was when I never looked back. But I had been toying with it since Public Beta.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2004, 05:08 AM

I switched over when the 10.1 update came out... now on 10.3.2 [along with all the other Panther users] - and even now, I STILL use 9... [but no way near as much] - I love my Ti800 PB...

I guess I'm just nostalgic deep down...

ibobunot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2004, 05:14 AM

I started with the public beta and ditched OS 9 completely when photoshop 7 came out.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

tritonus
Senior User
Jan 24, 2004, 09:03 AM

Anyway, I only know these things by reading; I switched from Windows instead.
Same here. Windows 2000 -> OS X 10.2 -> OS X 10.3.2
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2004, 11:07 AM

I switced when 10.0 came out since you couldn't ugrade rom the public beta. Sometime around 10.0.2 I erased OS 9 from my computer. I haven't used OS 9 in years.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Anyone that says "public beta' are full of crap. Even 10.0 is hard to take... Maybe if you surf the web and email (and that's about it)
I love blanket statements like this. 'Hard to take' for you. I had a Dual 500 with 1.5gb of RAM which back in the early days was one of Apple's fastest boxes. So maybe I was more tolerant of the speed issues early on. The multi-tasking however more than made of for the sluggish UI even as early as the PB.

I was in OSX more than half the time during the PB and almost full time by 10.0. Granted I used Classic very often for Photoshop, MIcrosoft Word, Dreamweaver, Flash and several other apps. Heck I played most of Baldurs Gate and Diablo 2 with Classic. I rarely booted into OS9, in fact the only times I'd boot into 9 was to burn CDs.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

mr. burns
Senior User
Jan 24, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
I love blanket statements like this. 'Hard to take' for you. I had a Dual 500 with 1.5gb of RAM which back in the early days was one of Apple's fastest boxes. So maybe I was more tolerant of the speed issues early on. The multi-tasking however more than made of for the sluggish UI even as early as the PB.

I was in OSX more than half the time during the PB and almost full time by 10.0. Granted I used Classic very often for Photoshop, MIcrosoft Word, Dreamweaver, Flash and several other apps. Heck I played most of Baldurs Gate and Diablo 2 with Classic. I rarely booted into OS9, in fact the only times I'd boot into 9 was to burn CDs.
my thoughts exactly. i have the same system too. only reason i was all over the beta and early versions was because i had one of the top macs.

i can't believe i paid for that beta and actually put up with it. OS X has come a looooong way.

not all who wander are lost.

cwasko
Senior User
Jan 24, 2004, 04:11 PM

I switched to OS X full-time when Office and GoLive were finally made available for OS X. I think that was during the 10.1 days, but I really can't remember.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by mr. burns:
my thoughts exactly. i have the same system too. only reason i was all over the beta and early versions was because i had one of the top macs.

i can't believe i paid for that beta and actually put up with it. OS X has come a looooong way.
Indeed OSX has come a long way. With 10.3 it really screams on my machine. I can't imagine what it must be like on a Dual G5.

I can most definitely believe I paid for the PB. I was on my way to the darkside because of my frustrations with OS9. It was also very nice of Apple to subtract the price of the PB from 10.0.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 04:41 PM

I had ditched OS 9 about a year before the public beta came out; I was running Linux PPC 100% of the time. As a Computer Science major, I needed a Unix OS to do my assignments; OS 9 had nothing that even remotely compared. Linux had and still has a long way to go. When the Public Beta came out, I was thrilled. I no longer had to recompile the kernel on a daily basis, hoping that the new day would fix some wierd quirk that the last one introduced.

I ditched OS 9 permanently when Norton Utilities was finally ported.

I am also one that had no complaints about speed in the early days. I upgraded from an 8500 to a Dual 533 (with the Geforce2 MX) a few months before 10.0 came out. Every release of OS X so far has been better than the previous. I considered the public beta better than linux which was better than OS 9 (except for hardware support).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2004, 06:02 PM

My reply to the poll in the lounge: When did you switch to OS X?
I started messing around with Mac OS X during the DPs. I bought the beta and 10.0 but did not give up Mac OS 9 until 10.1.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2004, 06:30 PM

When 10.1 came out.

IamBob
Senior User
Jan 24, 2004, 11:53 PM

Public Beta!

I was just so excited that I could tinker with Java and not have the OS come crashing down constantly.

After every software install checking of some troublesome systemextentions were installed, one or two crashes a week, regularly recreate the desktop...
One or two a week, you were lucky!

adamschneider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 04:03 AM

There's a choice missing from the poll: I know it's hard for MacNN readers to believe, but a LOT of us out here in the real world still haven't switched yet!

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 04:55 AM

I "obtained" a copy of DP4. But never installed it. Actually I tried on my 7500/300 G3 but default it said no and I didn't argue. Then I got my dual 533. One day just for the hell of it, I grabbed an OS X CD and installed it, just to "see what all the fuss was about". I don't recall if it was DP4 or Public Beta (probably PB?) but the second I hit Restart on the installed, was the second I switched. From then on it was all OS X. Classic when I needed it, and I don't think I really ever booted OS 9 since then. Even right now my dual 1.25 G4 has a Raided hard drive, so I couldn't boot OS 9 if I wanted to, only X. I'm very happy. I even have a 6100 running Linux instead of 9 (not that I hate 9, I mean it sure beats windows).

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2004, 06:05 AM

I never did. I'm using 9.2.1 and have no reason to start slothing my mac down.
Have a nice day
<font size=1>Since this poll was mentioned on the MacNN homepage (for all Mac users to see), there's my answer.</font>
( Last edited by Forbodium; Jan 25, 2004 at 06:22 AM. )

new newton
Banned
Jan 25, 2004, 06:41 AM

Over a quarter of the respondents switched to OS X during the PB? Yeah, that's pure bull.

Like most of the beta participants I used it sparingly, because beyond familiarizing myself with the OS there wasn't much most users could do with it. I had it on my PB the first day it was available, but I didn't make regular, productive use of OS X until 10.0. At that point I'd flip flop, based on what I was doing. Once Office and 10.1 were out, I spent most of my time in OS X. There are a very few things that 9 is better for.

I don't even use Classic anymore. The last of my apps that needed it went to OS X this summer. 9 is archaic and I'm glad I'm done with it. Anyone who still thinks it's the cat's meow is simply afraid of change.

maceye
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2004, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by adamschneider:
There's a choice missing from the poll: I know it's hard for MacNN readers to believe, but a LOT of us out here in the real world still haven't switched yet!
Not to be rude, but why? I can't think of any reason to stay with 9, and I can say that I prefer using WIndows XP to OS 9 as, despite it's inefficiencies, it is capable of getting the job done without crashing (and it can do real multitasking, almost like OS X). I know there are a few apps and/or hardware devices that require OS 9, but that's why you can change your startup disk.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Jan 25, 2004, 08:04 AM

I followed other's experiences with the Public Beta and 10.0, but I only crossed the Jordan with 10.1 and only for some experiments first. Full switch took place sometime later when my harddrive had problems and I had to reinstall anyway, so I took the chance and moved full-time to OS X.
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Forbodium:
I never did. I'm using 9.2.1 and have no reason to start slothing my mac down.
Have a nice day
<font size=1>Since this poll was mentioned on the MacNN homepage (for all Mac users to see), there's my answer.</font>
Will someone please explain to the troll that html doesn't work in forums.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 08:37 AM

I, too, am suspicious about the high number of people that switched when the Public Beta was available. I had it ubt couldn't find a lot of use for it. Other than Mail, the only two mainstream native apps that I can recall were beta versions of OmniWeb and IE. Neither were much more than barely functional and were quite poor compared to OS 9 browsers.

For those who claimed they swithed to PB, please tell us why you did and what you ran on your Mac under PB.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by hudson1:
I, too, am suspicious about the high number of people that switched when the Public Beta was available. I had it ubt couldn't find a lot of use for it. Other than Mail, the only two mainstream native apps that I can recall were beta versions of OmniWeb and IE. Neither were much more than barely functional and were quite poor compared to OS 9 browsers.

For those who claimed they swithed to PB, please tell us why you did and what you ran on your Mac under PB.
Originally posted by Toyin:

Does anyone actually read other posts anymore? It was an easy decision for me.

The PB was my savior. PM 6500 (with G3 L2 card) and OS 8.6 was my most stable Classic OS. I spent hours fine tuning that OS (It also ran Linux PPC). Then came my Dual 500 with OS 9. I could never get this running well. Daily reboots were common and I didn't have the patience to sit through extension juggling like I did with 8.6 (probably because I had other options). I much preferred having to re-launch classic than reboot the entire machine.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

Avon
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 10:45 AM

I switched the day the public beta came out. I used it 95% of the time, going back only to something that required you to boot into OS 9. Then immediately cam back. Have been using the mac Since system 7.0 came out, and boy was I happy to set OS 9 go!

Forum Links
Forum Rules