Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > "hurl.exe"? WTF is that? Problem with Firefox and Amazon

"hurl.exe"? WTF is that? Problem with Firefox and Amazon
Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2004, 04:14 PM

I'm trying to listen to audio samples at Amazon.com using Firefox or Mozilla, but when I click on an audio link, Mozilla downloads a file called "hurl.exe" instead of handing it over to RealPlayer. If I rename the file to "hurl.ram" then RealPlayer opens the file and plays it properly.

However, this problem only occurs in Firefox and Mozilla. Safari works fine. Does anyone know how to change the helper application settings in Mozilla/Firefox to fix this?

Here's the page of audio links if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about.

Link

Thor
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2004, 11:49 AM

My Mozilla hands hurl.exe files over to RealPlayer just fine.

Do your hurl.exe files have the RealPlayer icon?

You should be able to "Get Info" on it and choose RealPlayer as the App to open this type of file.

Spliff  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Thor:

My Mozilla hands hurl.exe files over to RealPlayer just fine.

Do your hurl.exe files have the RealPlayer icon?

You should be able to "Get Info" on it and choose RealPlayer as the App to open this type of file.
They have a Virtual PC icon. For some unknown reason, I didn't think of changing the file association via Get Info. Instead, I was trying to change it via the Helper Applications preference within Mozilla. But your suggestion worked. Thanks.

Before I posted here, I had searched Google and found several posts about the same problem but with the Linux version of Mozilla, not the OS X version.

Forum Links
Forum Rules