Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Required bandwidth for iChat videoconference

Required bandwidth for iChat videoconference
cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2005, 11:56 AM

Hi guys, the title pretty much describes my worries.

I've been trying to set up video conferences with my family in Spain using iChat. Both ends have Macs (a cube and a TiPB) and cable internet in Spain (I use the University network using airport). Audio works great. However, ichat does not even provide the option of video (both computers using iSight). I wonder if this may be due to bandwidth restrictions. Usually the values I get on the connection doctor go between 17-34 kbps. Is there a bottleneck?

What would you do to fix it? I assume that the internet service provider should have faster bandwidth, right? Which one would be your choice?

Thanks a bunch.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 12:57 AM

Looks like you have a speed issue. Apple's iChat page lists 100kbps as the absolute bare minimum (see the big graphic near the top of the page.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2005, 04:37 AM

256k up allows for a nice safe 20fps in my experience.. when tiger (iChatAV3) and .h264 hits that will prob allow an easy 30fps.. cant wait for it

Forum Links
Forum Rules