Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DDR400 PC3200 RAM for the PB?

DDR400 PC3200 RAM for the PB?
rkivie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2005, 09:17 AM

Hello all,

I just want to clarify that I can use the DDR400 RAM for the current PBs right? I understand that it will be underclocked though, but I would think that such a purchase will sort of "future-proof" the RAM a bit. I've tried doing a search on these boards and I've actually gotten conflicting opinions abt this issue.

P/s: ewiz has those (Samsung) for $180 now

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2005, 08:39 PM

Yes it should work. Do you plan on taking that RAM with you onto your next laptop? Usually there isn't much point to doing this unless you actually intend on taking this RAM with you (as opposed to selling your PB with the extra ram, etc) DDR400 itself is getting a little aged and I would not be surprised if the next laptop I bought used DDR faster than 400- or even possibly DDR2 (although it might be a while until laptops see DDR2).

Except that as older RAM gets older, it can actually become more expensive to buy a PC2700 DIMM as opposed to a PC3200 DIMM. In which case you'd be silly not to.

Ruahrc

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2005, 08:54 PM

rkivie, let us know if that works. Does that $180 Buy you 512MB or 1GB.
If it only buys 512MB That is not a good deal. Also what PB do you have.

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 05:47 AM

I am running a Corsair 1GB PC3200 DDR400 value select chip in the top slot of my 1.5.. no dramas at all. My thinking was along the same lines to hopefully futureproof for a G5 pbook one day.. (since the iMac uses PC400 was my thoughts)

rkivie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 06:36 AM

Originally posted by bovie:
rkivie, let us know if that works. Does that $180 Buy you 512MB or 1GB.
If it only buys 512MB That is not a good deal. Also what PB do you have.
$180 is for 1GB. I've not gotten it yet (but i'll report back when i do). I have a 12" Rev D.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 01:02 PM

Sweet a Rev. D 12 is what I am getting. Tell me if it works.

rkivie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2005, 01:43 PM

well i'm pleased to report that the PC3200 RAM worked just fine (ran mem test too). it now says 1.25 GB under About This Mac. btw, i didnt get the Ewiz Samsung RAM...i'm using a PC3200 Corsair RAM.

p/s: i just saw that the Ewiz price has gone down again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules