Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > About to order Imac Duo Core: how much VRam should i get?

About to order Imac Duo Core: how much VRam should i get?
mattchless
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 02:01 PM

standard 128MB or upgrade to 256mb:

predominant anticipated usage: web, email, ms office, ilife

getting 256 will future proof me i've read, but how much will it really and for me, will i ever need it (not a gamer, use ps2 for that).

and with the reported problems, and delayed shipping time to upgrade, is it worth getting the 256?

want to order it today, so please reply...thanks!

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 02:09 PM

what kind of work are you going to be doing? I know you said your not a gamer, but are you going to be doing any video editing, or heavy graphics graphis usage?
That will give a better idea of whether or not you need it.

mattchless  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 02:17 PM

I'll do light video editing for home videos and such. May put together a reel here or there. Not sure if that's considered heavy or not. Also, won't be doing this kind of stuff often. Are you leaning towards telling me to get the 256?

Originally Posted by hickey
what kind of work are you going to be doing? I know you said your not a gamer, but are you going to be doing any video editing, or heavy graphics graphis usage?
That will give a better idea of whether or not you need it.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 02:22 PM

I know you want to order it today, but if you dont need it immediately, order the 256 and wait the longer time for it to be shipped. Its a fairly cheap upgrade, and it will be helpful in the longrun, and whenever you edit something. Especially if you're going to cut a reel together, you want to be able you get the best quality you can there, cause thats what gets you jobs.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Feb 13, 2006, 02:26 PM

get the 256MB man. it'll help in resale value, you cannot decide at a later date you want it and go and get it, and the cost is negligible. get it.

mattchless  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2006, 02:30 PM

alright guys, added the extra RAM, thanks for the fast feedback, hope I don't get one with issues!

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 13, 2006, 02:46 PM

I have a 256MB VRAM Intel iMac. Never had any problems with it. Amazed at the speed and I am future-proof, however I do play games and video edit, so it was an easier decision for me.

It is said that the 256MB video issue is software related so I wouldn't factor that in at all.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

quiklee
Senior User
Feb 13, 2006, 02:50 PM

DO IT! . . . . let us know how it goes!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 03:00 PM

btw, what are the complete specs of the machine your getting? Us geeks want to know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules