Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 5 days in with C2D, these are my issues

5 days in with C2D, these are my issues
m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 11:24 PM

Bought my C2D blackbook on Thursday Nov. 9, pretty spontaneously, and I love it. It's a big jump all around, but most noticeably in pure speed from my iBook G4 800. It has come with a couple of issues, however, and I'm not sure how normal they are.

1) The optical drive makes a positively wretched sound upon waking from sleep. I know these drives never sound good when loading or ejecting, but my iBook never did this when waking from sleep, and it's very loud. As in, my girlfriend heard it in the kitchen, and I was in the bedroom sort of loud. And it does it every time I wake it from sleep. Anybody (or everybody) else have this issue? I've tried to hear it at the apple store, but I can't really get a feel for how loud they are when they do it (some of them do, some don't), since it's a somewhat louder environment than is my apartment.

2) It has a fan whine. But it doesn't seem to be the mooing that is so often discussed, as it's there regardless of speed (using smcfancontrol) It's a rather low pitched whine. Normal?

3) Not specific to the machine, but itunes does this:
Notice the heading words. Anybody seen that before?

I certainly can't say I'm unhappy with the machine, but I wish I didn't have to make a thread wondering if issues I had with the machine were normal or not. But I guess that is life with computers.

Annette310
Nov 15, 2006, 02:07 AM

My optical drive is also noisy when waking up from sleep but I don't have the itunes problem.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2006, 02:40 AM

i've seen the iTunes thing ONCE. it went away after restarting iTunes.

m_young  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 08:18 AM

I should have been more specific about the iTunes thing. It's not always like that, but it is fairly often. And it goes away when i restart iTunes. But why should I have to?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by m_young View Post
1) The optical drive makes a positively wretched sound upon waking from sleep. I know these drives never sound good when loading or ejecting, but my iBook never did this when waking from sleep, and it's very loud.
The drive goes to sleep too. When it wakes up it makes this sound. It's loud but normal. If you don't use the drive for a while and then start an app that wakes it (like Disk Utility or Toast) it will make the same noise.

2) It has a fan whine. But it doesn't seem to be the mooing that is so often discussed, as it's there regardless of speed (using smcfancontrol) It's a rather low pitched whine. Normal?
Are you sure it's the fan? I'm asking since you say it whines regardless of the fan rpms. Could it be the HD noise? Is it the CPU whine? Is it always there? Does it go away when you attach a power supply or put some load on your CPU?

3) Not specific to the machine, but itunes does this:
<snip>
iTunes bug. Not nice, but can be solved by a retsart of the iTunes app AFAIK. Will hopefully be fixed with the next minor iTunes update.

I certainly can't say I'm unhappy with the machine, but I wish I didn't have to make a thread wondering if issues I had with the machine were normal or not. But I guess that is life with computers.
Yes, even on a Mac. But it could be worse, trust me.

m_young  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Are you sure it's the fan? I'm asking since you say it whines regardless of the fan rpms. Could it be the HD noise? Is it the CPU whine? Is it always there? Does it go away when you attach a power supply or put some load on your CPU?
The noise is proportional to fan speed, that's how I know. It changes tone with a variance in speed, but it's always there. I tried loading the CPU by running photobooth in the background, among other things, and the noise remained. I haven't yet checked it with plugged into the power supply, but i'm 98% sure that it's still there. I'll do that this evening.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2006, 10:07 AM

Hey, I got my C2D Macbook the other day as well. For controlling my fans, I was more concerned about controlling the heat. Thus far, the heat has NOT been an issue with this 2ghz C2D. I use FANCONTROL. Google it and you'll find it on the first page. If that doesnt help with the fan issue I'd say take it back and swap it out.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2006, 10:21 AM

Yeah... about that noise... take it to the store and reproduce it for them. See what they say. I know that my C2D doesn't make THAT bad of a sound.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2006, 10:43 AM

The noise is proportional to fan speed, that's how I know. It changes tone with a variance in speed, but it's always there.
Ah, well that's a different issue. There have been bad fans reported before. My rev A MBP had one. Does the noise sound like something's touching the fan blades?

Run the AHT (boot form the install DVD and hold 'd') and see if reports a fan motor error.

m_young  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 02:07 PM

It's more of a stressed motor noise, not an object touching the fan sort of noise. And I have a fan control app (smcfancontrol), and the fan responds rather well to it, I might add. It just does it with a whine.

wings_rfs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 05:23 PM

Got my C2D MacBook the day they hit the stores. I have zero issues with it. The drive noise on wake-from-sleep is so faint I hardly noticed it until I read this thread. It's still faint. It's a whirring/buzzing sound that lasts about a second. Not objectionable at all. And iTunes? Never saw what you posted here about iTune's headers. It runs Windows XP just fine, and wi-fi range is impressive. Gotta go...

bcswbc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 06:00 PM

I hear a similar noise whenever my PowerBook G4 wakes up from sleeping. I think it is the hard drive waking and spinning. No big deal.

boazh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 07:12 PM

On a separate thread here I complained of having similar issue with the fans' high pitch noise. At first I thought it's the speakers but realized it's the fan when it started coming from the left speaker and then right one. So far it did it on two different occasions. The fans will run as fast as 6000 rpm but the noise will not occur each time. I have my C2D for over a week now and I love it, I didn't have time to take it to the Apple store where I bought it. I'm not sure if the noise I have is the same as the one reported here, but if I can describe it... it sounds like squeacking (fan not secured?) almost like a noise a cricket will do if they get real excited it's really annoying when it happens. I will report back once I come back from the Apple store.

m_young  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2006, 07:31 PM

It's a dull buzzing, almost like one of those AC inverters that sits outside your house when it's going bad. Only on a much smaller level. But it's not power related, because as I said above, it changes pitch with the fan speed, and I can't ever get rid of it. If there was an app out there that would let you shut off the fan for a couple seconds, I could definitely prove it was the fan.

The problem with taking it in, of course, is that I do not, under any circumstances, want to give up my week old machine to send it off for repairs.

saveranger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2006, 10:43 PM

I got my macbook yesterday, first mac computer. Its very quiet, very very quiet. It doesnt get too hot. But there is one problem. There is major uneven brightness!

I currently have a solid dark orange background, but onscreen its a gradient (about 55% of the bottom is lighter than the top).

In OSX the taskbar is completely washed out.

I'm new to mac's, so can someone offer some advise as to what to do about my screen.

I bought it online (apple store), can i take it to an apple store to get it checked out?

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 16, 2006, 03:03 AM

It's a dull buzzing, almost like one of those AC inverters that sits outside your house when it's going bad. Only on a much smaller level. But it's not power related, because as I said above, it changes pitch with the fan speed, and I can't ever get rid of it. If there was an app out there that would let you shut off the fan for a couple seconds, I could definitely prove it was the fan.

The problem with taking it in, of course, is that I do not, under any circumstances, want to give up my week old machine to send it off for repairs.
Same fan sound here; it changes if the MacBook screen angle is changed, since the sound reflects back from the screen from the cooling vent below the screen. If you work at a full arms length from the keyboard, it is less. Experiment and set your screen all the way back (without scratching the front edge of the screen outside case which I always felt was a design flaw, since it rubs on your work surface. Not sure if the MacBook Pros do this. Simon would know if they do too, since he has both models, I believe) Then lift your MacBook to eye level looking across the keyboard and notice the fan sound nearly disappears.

I'm with you; what are the chances of the next one in a swap not having a different problem and I don't want it tampered with in repair for several weeks again. That's why we have this replacement.

As my 9 year old daughter says, turn on iTunes.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by saveranger View Post
I bought it online (apple store), can i take it to an apple store to get it checked out?
You can take it to any apple store. They get rather busy and the wait can get very long so either reserve a time online, call them up before driving over, or be their best friend.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

new_mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 03:56 PM

I have just returned my MBP 2.33G C2D due to bad latch mechanism, one of the hooks on the lid would not retracted after I open up the lid. Initially it just happened once or twice in a day, but it gradually get worst, and after 1.5 weeks, it happened almost 99% of the time, I get it checked by one of those Genius in Apple store, and I was given the option of reparing it (I've to wait for 8 - 10 days for the parts and they have to tear apart the lid assembly to replace the mechanism that drive those hooks) or I can return it (I bought it online). They wouldn't replace it for me as I did not buy directly from Apple, they told me they would have just give me a new one if I bought it from directly from Apple. I'm still awaiting for my full refund which was promise by the customer service, I was hoping there is no restocking fees charge to me as the product is defective. Lesson learnt: This may be a small issue for some compared to whining fan, LCD uneven brightness, loud drive, but if you expect the MBP to be totally defect free (which we should) when you received it, buy it directly from Apple.

derekjv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 03:41 PM

I have had my Macbook since Friday. I used migration assistant to transfer date from my old 12 inch powerbook. I haven't had ANY problems whatsoever. I am running 2gb of Ram with a 160 gb hard drive. Only twice has the fan come on. When it does it can be loud, so far my only (and a very minor) complaint. I have been running the system on best performance and plugged in. I am only now attempting to run down the battery to 0 so I can calibrate it. I have been on this thing for HOURS today updating web pages, playing music on airtunes, ad surfing the net. I am still at 18% power which amazes me. Waking from sleep the power drain was negligible. In fact, the percentage went up from where it was when I closed it to sleep. Speakers lack some of the base the powerbook has, but I think the speakers are plenty loud and of pretty good quality too. If anyone has specific questions about my new baby Black Macbook feel free to respond to this post!

Z4cane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by derekjv View Post
I have had my Macbook since Friday. I used migration assistant to transfer date from my old 12 inch powerbook. I haven't had ANY problems whatsoever. I am running 2gb of Ram with a 160 gb hard drive. Only twice has the fan come on. When it does it can be loud, so far my only (and a very minor) complaint. I have been running the system on best performance and plugged in. I am only now attempting to run down the battery to 0 so I can calibrate it. I have been on this thing for HOURS today updating web pages, playing music on airtunes, ad surfing the net. I am still at 18% power which amazes me. Waking from sleep the power drain was negligible. In fact, the percentage went up from where it was when I closed it to sleep. Speakers lack some of the base the powerbook has, but I think the speakers are plenty loud and of pretty good quality too. If anyone has specific questions about my new baby Black Macbook feel free to respond to this post!

What kind of battery life are you getting? I have had mine since Friday was well, but i am only seeing about 3.5 hours.

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 19, 2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z4cane View Post
What kind of battery life are you getting? I have had mine since Friday was well, but i am only seeing about 3.5 hours.
Also in a quiet room, what does your fan sound like on start up while cool and later when warmer.

The fan is always running here, yet should be inaudible unless your ear is near the keyboard. One of ours is unacceptably audible all the time (buzzing instead of soft shhhh like some others we have listened to)

Our fan is louder than the hard drive spinning; when in the 'better energy savings' mode and the hard drive spins down from lack of activity.

Anyone used the fan control utility on a C2D yet?

Z4cane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold View Post
Also in a quiet room, what does your fan sound like on start up while cool and later when warmer.

The fan is always running here, yet should be inaudible unless your ear is near the keyboard. One of ours is unacceptably audible all the time (buzzing instead of soft shhhh like some others we have listened to)

Our fan is louder than the hard drive spinning; when in the 'better energy savings' mode and the hard drive spins down from lack of activity.

Mine is really quiet. In three days, I have only heard the fan running once.

m_young  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold View Post

I've used the fan control utility, and it works as designed, as in, you can force the fan to speed up to 6000 rpm or so, or set it's minimum at 1600 rpm, or anywhere in between.

derekjv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2006, 10:28 PM

My battery life is running about 5 hours right now with moderate use. Fans have only come on twice. They are not on otherwise. The laptop is otherwise SILENT. I am running in the better mode all the time. I think my quiet operation has something to do with having 2gb ram.

m_young  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2006, 09:14 PM

Pretty sure the fans are always on in some capacity, as in 1600 rpm. I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules