Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's the easiest way to get rid of a flabby belly?

What's the easiest way to get rid of a flabby belly?
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 12:56 AM

I was chubbier back in my teen days. One day, I got sick of it. Started eating very healthy and riding my bike upwards of 150 miles a week.

I dropped all of the excess weight and have maintained the exercise level for going on two years now, though I'm on a bit of a bike riding winter hiatus at the moment. Really couldn't be any more trim. Except for one little area that's driving me mad; My belly.

Now, I don't have a bulging beer gut by any means, but I definitely have a pouch.

The bike riding and healthy eating apparently aren't doing anything. And I've just come off of one month of doing 100-150 sit-ups per day (two to three sets of 50-75), which seemed to have little to no effect.

I've started trying to switch from sit-ups to crunches but to be honest... they're a pain in the ass. I can't do anywhere near as many of them as I could do sit-ups and they hurt my back a hell of a lot more for some reason. So I'm not really sure there's enough motivation to keep doing them.

What's the secret to getting rid of a flabby belly? Am I doomed to have it forever?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 01:03 AM

You want abs? Incline bench with two twenty pound dumb bells held against your chest as you lift youself.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 01:09 AM

Ultrasonic liposuction. Is your skin nice and elastic? If so, treat yourself. You only live once. With the healthy eating and exercising you're already doing, you could look better than you ever imagined in damn short order. It works, it doesn't hurt, and the effects are long lasting. They remove the fat storage cells from specific areas so even when you gain weight, you don't gain it back there immediately.

There is no exercise that will remove genetically distributed belly fat. You're the perfect example of that, as you're doing everything that diet and exercise can do already.

You are worth the price of a couple 20" iMacs. You're going to be around a lonnng time.

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 01:12 AM

You've probably just reached the threshold where your activity level doesn't overtake your caloric intake... or your body has become accustomed to your workout routine. The only options I can think of are boosting your activity level even more (maybe adding some miles to your biking), or better yet mixing it up with some additional weight training, or running or swimming, etc. If you're really determined to eliminate that paunch, combine the above suggestions with an even stricter diet (fewer carbs, more protein and fiber), and you should be on your way.

P.S.: more crunches (or any kind of "spot training") won't eliminate fat in a specific part of the body. However, it will strengthen your abs and make them more prominent once you do lose the fat. Increased metabolism (via increased aerobic exercise, or adding calorie-buring muscle) is the only way to lose that fat short of surgery.
( Last edited by himself; Jan 15, 2007 at 01:22 AM. )
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:17 AM

Like others have said, you have to get your BF very low in order to remove that belly fat.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
You've probably just reached the threshold where your activity level doesn't overtake your caloric intake... or your body has become accustomed to your workout routine. The only options I can think of are boosting your activity level even more (maybe adding some miles to your biking), or better yet mixing it up with some additional weight training, or running or swimming, etc. If you're really determined to eliminate that paunch, combine the above suggestions with an even stricter diet (fewer carbs, more protein and fiber), and you should be on your way.
I totally agree.

Just remember that if it is fat you need to remove from the abdominal area, you cannot selectively remove it through exercise.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:26 AM

This thread is worthless without pics.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
You want abs? Incline bench with two twenty pound dumb bells held against your chest as you lift youself.
You won't be able to see the abs if the fat is still there, and sit ups aren't really going to decrease his BF%

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post

P.S.: more crunches (or any kind of "spot training") won't eliminate fat in a specific part of the body. However, it will strengthen your abs and make them more prominent once you do lose the fat. Increased metabolism (via increased aerobic exercise, or adding calorie-buring muscle) is the only way to lose that fat short of surgery.
At my absolute peak of bike riding, I was going 40 miles per day (4-5 days a week, every week) in hundred degree heat. Which caused me to sweat like a thunderstorm and drink close to 2 gallons of water per day.

I was eating very healthy but carbs weren't on my avoid list. I'd do things like eat a VERY large bowl of pasta before going out just so I had the energy for it. And I'd still get back home absolutely dead.

This routine dropped me to a low of 175. And to put into perspective how low that was; I'm 6'7". It was too thin. You could see all the veins in my arms and lower legs at any given time. I didn't like the way it looked so I bulked back up by cutting out a lot of the exercise but still maintaining a regular habit of it so as not to fall out of shape. I also started eating more fatty foods. I'm up to around 205 now which has me looking a lot less like I'm near death from starvation but not to the point of looking chubby again (I was around 240 at my peak and I was around four inches shorter then).

What irks me is that there really isn't much difference in the gut between 175 and 205.

All I can really think of to do is completely cut out carbs, which I never did. But I really can't see how I could do that and still have the energy to do any long distance exercising.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Jan 15, 2007 at 01:49 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
I totally agree.

Just remember that if it is fat you need to remove from the abdominal area, you cannot selectively remove it through exercise.
So basically exercises like crunches and sit-ups only serve to tone? So I've been wasting my time?

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
This thread is worthless without pics.
You tempted me... But I'll refrain.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Jan 15, 2007 at 01:49 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:42 AM

James is right, you can not "spot reduce". In other words, doing lots of sit ups will not burn more fat around your abs than any other exercise.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
James is right, you can not "spot reduce". In other words, doing lots of sit ups will not burn more fat around your abs than any other exercise.
Yep. Everybody has a '6 pack'. It's just that some people have a layer of fat over it.

Anyway, original question: RUNNING.

I know running is hard, physical work, but it burns more calories than almost any other activity, per hour. So what does that mean? If you want to get in shape, and burn fat (to get rid of a flabby belly), it is the quickest, easiest way to do it.

I am a LAZY person, who likes to go in shape. So when I feel a bit ...eh... soft... I go running. Two weeks later: Poof. I'm hard as nails again.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 02:14 AM

I believe that the saying is: "Great abs are made in the kitchen."

Anyway, sit-ups are basically useless for the abs, so if you want stronger abs do something else. If crunches are hard it's because your abs are weak.

I agree with himself, (that sounds odd) you are probably too accustomed to your routine. You should vary it often to get the best results, like every 2-3 weeks or less.

I don't know if you are going for the manorexic look but it is important to note that aerobic exercises eat muscle. (if that is at all important to you)

Weight training combined with moderate to light cardio pumps up your metabolism and helps you burn fat and you will look better too. (IMHO)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I believe that the saying is: "Great abs are made in the kitchen."

Anyway, sit-ups are basically useless for the abs, so if you want stronger abs do something else. If crunches are hard it's because your abs are weak.

I agree with himself, (that sounds odd) you are probably too accustomed to your routine. You should vary it often to get the best results, like every 2-3 weeks or less.

I don't know if you are going for the manorexic look but it is important to note that aerobic exercises eat muscle. (if that is at all important to you)

Weight training combined with moderate to light cardio pumps up your metabolism and helps you burn fat and you will look better too. (IMHO)
Trust me, definitely not going for the manorexic look. I was cool with it for maybe a month and it was only because I had become so accustomed to being over weight that being under weight for the first time was kind of a treat.

But yeah, it didn't look too flattering hence why I intentionally allowed myself to put some weight back on.

I got to the point where I absolutely loved doing a 30 mile power bike ride. I could do the whole ride, non stop, in a little over an hour to an hour and a half. And this is with quite a few hills.

But I didn't like the results, since it made my body look like it was eating itself. Well, eating itself in every other area than my gut. So, because of this I've been really hesitant to get back on the bike as much as I used to. But the downside is that it's the form of exercise that I'm most accustomed to and seem to excel at much more than most people.

But it really was all I ever did. Eat well, ride till I felt like death. Pretty repetitive.

What kind of a mix would you guys suggest?

I'm a FedEx Express driver so I get much more exercise than most people get in their jobs, but I still have much more energy than I'm expending.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
So basically exercises like crunches and sit-ups only serve to tone? So I've been wasting my time?
It has already been answered, but I wouldn't say that you have been wasting your time.

You have been working muscle groups, strengthening and toning your abdominal muscles. That is always good. The problem of course is you still have a fat layer over top of those muscles, hiding the definition.

Muscle strengthening exercises alone do not really reduce fat though, unless you consider that larger muscle groups burn more calories.

Put simply only cardio to burn further calories, combined with decreased caloric intake, is going to remove fat.

It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your diet already, but some things are surprising. Let's say you burn 300 calories in your daily jog. There are 320 calories in 2 cans of pop. 2 cans of pop have eradicated the calorie burning benefits you got from your run.

Depressing, no?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
Muscle strengthening exercises alone do not really reduce fat though, unless you consider that larger muscle groups burn more calories.
Not true. Weight training kick starts your metabolism and helps you burn calories even at rest. The exercises themselves do burn calories and the body uses a ton of calories to recover from your workouts. Plus yes there is the added benefit of larger muscles burning more calories.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Yep. Everybody has a '6 pack'. It's just that some people have a layer of fat over it.

Anyway, original question: RUNNING.

I know running is hard, physical work, but it burns more calories than almost any other activity, per hour. So what does that mean? If you want to get in shape, and burn fat (to get rid of a flabby belly), it is the quickest, easiest way to do it.

I am a LAZY person, who likes to go in shape. So when I feel a bit ...eh... soft... I go running. Two weeks later: Poof. I'm hard as nails again.
How far, how long, how often?
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

volcano
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 04:36 AM

It has to be emphasized: if you are already pretty good about your workout routine and still feel 'larger' than you want to be, concentrate on your diet more.

Soda is disgusting. Stop drinking carbonated beverages all together and you'll feel awesome. I stopped drinking carbonated beverages roughly 3 years ago (mind you, I'm only 19), and that alone not only makes me feel healthier, it makes me look better too. I do a pretty rigorous adnomial routine 3-4 times/week, that paired with the fact that I rarely, if ever eat anything remotely deemed a "sweet" (ie, pastries, cake, cookies, candy), don't eat a lot of beef, eat mainly vegetables and fruits, and stopped drinking carbonated beverages... all those factors combined really helped me look and feel better.

And you know what? I don't miss soda one bit. It might be hard at first, but you'll soon forget about it. And this is coming from a guy who used to drink vanilla coke religiously.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 05:04 AM

I don't think diet coke is bad. It's 0 calories and there really isn't anything in it. Water and caffeine. I get headaches without caffeine (i know, i know) and it's better for you than coffee with all the creamers and such.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 05:27 AM

Though I wouldn't call it "disgusting" (at least not moreso than juice or ice cream), I agree that leaving soda behind is a good move to losing weight. However, I would think that you've already thought of that. Anyway, I don't think it's drinking soda that's the problem, it's the excessive, every-day drinking of soda that's the problem.

As others have said, you can't really selectively lose weight from any specific area of the body naturally. It seems that the body is pre-programmed with the sequence in which it will burn body fat for energy from different areas of the body, and it cannot be altered by natural means as far as we know.

From what (admittedly the little) I know on the subject, I would also suggest mixing up your routine and/or going into a new level of overload.

As far as diet, for me at least (and this is just a personal preference) it's not worth it to count calories and weigh food with a little scale. Instead, I try to know what's good and bad for me, mainly by looking it up in the glycemic index. Basically the more sugar a food has, the more intense an insulin reaction it will cause, which will make you hungry and ultimately either eat more or be very miserable.

I've been able to lose weight by avoiding such foods regularly and eating "better" foods. I find that in addition to being better for losing weight, many of these foods are better overall-- such as wheat bread instead of white, processed bread (the more processed something is, the worse it is, generally).

Unfortunately, that excludes Cuban bread, butter, white rice (still haven't been able to drop that!) and guava from my diet. However, I don't think extreme diets are very successful, so if I feel like having something that's not ideal, I will once in a good while. However, moderation in all eating is also key.

Anyway, don't kill yourself over your tummy, Lateralus. If you're eating well, and excersing correctly and regularly then you're probably in good health and it's something not worth worrying about, health-wise.

Of course, if it's merely an aesthetic concern, then remember not to be too vain. Who cares whether you can see your six-pack or not?! You may be healthier than a lot of people who like to show them off! However, I can understand how personal such matters can be. Anyway, good luck with that in the new year!

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Soda is disgusting. Stop drinking carbonated beverages all together and you'll feel awesome.
You just inspired me to stop drinking soda again... a few months ago I stopped because I had an ulcer from too much advil (I had mono) and it was awesome, I had fully recovered from mono, but no soda was interesting, I had not expected to feel so good...I dont know why I went back... I guess because it was really sweet..

Zach

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
…remember not to be too vain.
There's some good advice right there.

When my brother was complaining to me that he wasn't gaining in his lifting I said "Maybe you should try not being so vain."

Yes, I was trying to be a dick (hey it's my brother! ) but still…

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 07:32 AM

From an article on AOL's Health Site:
  • Avoid Trans fats
  • Get more sleep
  • Manage your stress

For more details, read the article.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 09:22 AM

(IMHO)
Situps have helped my abs be a lot stonger. Crunches aren't really harder they just hurt your back a lot for the rest of the day.

What irks me is that there really isn't much difference in the gut between 175 and 205.
People tend to get fixated on one part of the body or another. I'm betting your abs look fine and that's the reason people said to post a picture.... maybe you should! Another suggestion would be to spend half your workout doing weight training... your belly will look much less noticable if it has to compete with huge shoulders, pecs, and biceps.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 09:55 AM

Ask the olsen twins.

Seriously I've been the same weight since I was 23. I'll be 34 here in less than a month and the past year I've noticed that I wasn't getting a stomach so much as it wasn't as "tight" there as it once was. You couldn't see my abs as well etc. The only thing I changed was, I started using the stairs instead of the elevator at work. And now that extra bit of skin is gone.

But I have ALWAYS had fast metabolism. One of the reasons I don't drink that much. I get to the "tired wanna go to bed" phase too soon.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:18 PM

Good advice here. I'm kind of surprised we found a plastic surgeon on the boards. Anyone want to hawk diet pills while we're at it?

I'm kind of in the same spot as Lateralus. Been working out for a year with an emphasis on weight training for about 7 months of that. Early on I lost a good amount of weight and dropped from 220 to 190 which is where I've stayed at for the past 6 months or so. As of this point, I do light cardio to get warmed up prior to lifting and sometimes do a session of cardio after.

I still have a bit of a belly. Nothing like "hanging over" but still not as tight as I want it to be (I want my abs to show!). As of this point I'm trying not to be too concerned and just trying to keep up with my lifting goals.

What do you all think of BMI meters you can find on the internet? According to some I've seen, me being 6'2" and 190 puts me in the "close to overweight" group. Which is flat out bullshit.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 01:35 PM

The fastest way to look better, is to hang out with flabbier people.

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 01:41 PM

I recommend stir-frys as a great way of healthy eating which actually tastes good. In fact, I might just have one now! Bye!

OreoCookie
Jan 15, 2007, 01:50 PM

I have a similar problems. Last October, I got a nasty inflammation of my heel -- which will probably be chronic. I wasn't allowed to go running anymore (although I do go swimming once a week) plus it's winter here, so I don't ride my bike that often either. I quickly gained 5 kg over Christmas -- which isn't the end of the world, but far away from my comfortable 74 kg I was weighing this summer.

Basically the only way to reduce weight is to eat less fatty foods. Don't go for salads, they'll keep you hungry and have little nutritional value by themselves.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
What do you all think of BMI meters you can find on the internet? According to some I've seen, me being 6'2" and 190 puts me in the "close to overweight" group. Which is flat out bullshit.
From the AOL site mentioned above:
Waist-to-Hip Ratio, BMI and Belly Fat: What It All Means
Until recently, BMI or Body Mass Index (a measurement of weight in relation to height), was used as a key factor in determining the likelihood of developing heart disease, diabetes and certain types of cancers. Now, researchers around the world are discovering that BMI is the wrong number to rely on and dangerously misleading.
According to my BMI, I'm *obese*. What the BMI doesn't take into account is that I'm fairly muscle bound. I have 26" thighs and can squat easily over 500lbs. (My arms are a different story ... they are like transplants from chicken-man). My chest is fairly large ... now granted ... I could lose about 10 - 12 pounds now ... but I'm far from obese.

And yes ... I've often thought about using lipo to cure my belly too, but it just seems like abuse of the body for pure vanity purposes. I hold a black-belt so I'm not exactly "un-athletic". I'm in my late 30s. I don't care what others think. If it's healthy I'll do it. If not and someone has a problem with it, so what?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 02:08 PM

I have the same problem; I was at 210 pounds in 2001, and then dropped to 170-180 over a year (which is normal BMI for my 5'10") and I haven't been able to really go beyond that no matter what I do. I'm not fat, but I don't have a sixpack either.

t would be nice to finally get down to 160-165.

I'm not willing to spend 2 hours in a gym everyday; I have better things to do. Does that mean I'm not going to ever get there? I run about 20 miles a week because I enjoy it. I also bike and ski as the seasons change.

OreoCookie
Jan 15, 2007, 02:10 PM

Exactly. Muscle is more dense than fat and I'm in a good shape, I would say. I have very strong legs, relatively weak arms and a good stamina.

Still, I would prefer to lose these 5 kgs, I can really feel a difference during a run.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 02:28 PM

I'd say you need to reduce calories, maybe, but for sure add something like walking or light jogging. You're getting your "fitness" from your other strenuous activities, and there really is some truth to low-burn exercise. Maybe get a treadmill or something (and a decent heart rate monitor (I like Polar's stuff)) and do some walking/jogging at 70 to 75 percent of your max heart rate.

Not only will this help in recovery from your other exercises, it will have your belly shedding away in a few of weeks.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

namannik
Senior User
Jan 15, 2007, 05:07 PM

I was eating very healthy but carbs weren't on my avoid list. I'd do things like eat a VERY large bowl of pasta before going out just so I had the energy for it.
Is it considered a bad thing to exercise immediately after eating? Or is it okay?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Situps have helped my abs be a lot stonger. Crunches aren't really harder they just hurt your back a lot for the rest of the day.
When doing sit-ups the abs are mostly used as stabilizers so you may be getting some ab benefit from them but not as much as you could from doing something else.

And if crunches hurt your back you are doing them WRONG.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 15, 2007, 05:16 PM

Nobody has mentioned the vertical knee raise yet?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by namannik View Post
Is it considered a bad thing to exercise immediately after eating? Or is it okay?
Whatever. It's better to do it before you eat, because then you're burning more fat.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 07:06 PM

When doing sit-ups the abs are mostly used as stabilizers so you may be getting some ab benefit from them but not as much as you could from doing something else.

And if crunches hurt your back you are doing them WRONG.
Then I'm doing them REALLY WRONG! How do you do them right? And what would you do wrong that would make them hurt your back? What am I doing wrong specifically is what I'm asking?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 07:42 PM

You need to be more specific regarding what you mean by your "back hurting." Your lower back muscles may be stiff and sore, but you shouldn't be having any spinal, tailbone, upper back, etc. pain.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2007, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Whatever. It's better to do it before you eat, because then you're burning more fat.
Correct. It's best to excercise before you eat any meals, meaning in the morning. ( My mom's a PE teacher, I hear this stuff everyday)

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Correct. It's best to excercise before you eat any meals, meaning in the morning. ( My mom's a PE teacher, I hear this stuff everyday)
I've had some personal trainers tell me exactly opposite. They said never work out without eating first. Where is your body going to get the energy for the workout if you don't eat?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2007, 10:19 PM

don't eat after 1PM. walk laps thru the biggest mall in your area.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Uh... It *REALLY* depends on what it is you intend to do for exercise.

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I've had some personal trainers tell me exactly opposite. They said never work out without eating first. Where is your body going to get the energy for the workout if you don't eat?
Bingo.

Not eating before doing something as strenuous as cycling 30-40 miles it downright stupid. I made the mistake of doing it once or twice and had to crawl most of the way home, getting progressively sicker as I went.

If you're only exercising for 20 mins, then I can see not eating before hand since it forces your body to use the remaining fuel it got from your last meal and then start going right at fat.

But like I said; Depriving your body of the fuel it is going to burn through during an extended period of heavy physical activity is just asking to end up unconscious on the side of the road.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 10:47 PM

re: lower back hurting from ab exercises

For me, my back hurt when doing sit ups/crunches/whatever ab related until my lower back muscles got stronger. You can do a couple different things to strengthen your lower back. Back extensions or "supermans" are both good.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2007, 10:50 PM

and re: eating before/after/during workouts...

It's probably a bad example, but the wired article on ultra-marathoner Dean Karnazes talks about how eats an entire hawaiian pizza while running 120 mile marathons. He calls the pizza place and has them meet him en route where he just folds and stuffs. Then again, he's using somewhere in the range of 9000 calories running like that. That guy is a ****ing beast.

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 15, 2007, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Soda is disgusting. Stop drinking carbonated beverages all together and you'll feel awesome. I stopped drinking carbonated beverages roughly 3 years ago (mind you, I'm only 19), and that alone not only makes me feel healthier, it makes me look better too. I do a pretty rigorous adnomial routine 3-4 times/week, that paired with the fact that I rarely, if ever eat anything remotely deemed a "sweet" (ie, pastries, cake, cookies, candy), don't eat a lot of beef, eat mainly vegetables and fruits, and stopped drinking carbonated beverages... all those factors combined really helped me look and feel better.

And you know what? I don't miss soda one bit. It might be hard at first, but you'll soon forget about it. And this is coming from a guy who used to drink vanilla coke religiously.
Two years ago, I would have taken what you said with a grain of salt. But now I really couldn't agree more.

During the peak of my cycling, I was refusing to eat anything that didn't grow or drink anything that wasn't water or juice that I made myself. Went completely cold turkey on not only soda, but pretty much every other form of drinkable sugar.

I kept getting sugar itches for about the first week but after that it was smooth sailing. I managed to keep it up for around three months. And then I had a real eye opener; I was at work and decided I'd snag a Pepsi out of the soda machine...

After three months without any soda and pretty much zero sugar, the Pepsi made me nauseous after only getting about 1/3 of the way through.

While you're growing up, you constantly hear The Health Patrol telling you how fats and sugars are poison to the body. But most people never put much thought into it because they feel fine after downing a 2 liter of soda or eating a whole pizza.

What my little Pepsi encounter taught me is that fats and sugars are like drugs. You get used to them over a period of time, so they lose their more visible negative effects on you. When your purge your system of something like sugar by completely avoiding it for months on end, trying it again is like trying it for the first time. Negative effects and all.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2007, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
You need to be more specific regarding what you mean by your "back hurting." Your lower back muscles may be stiff and sore, but you shouldn't be having any spinal, tailbone, upper back, etc. pain.
It's hard to remember because I've been doing situps for the past year or so, but as I remember when I didi crunches I'd get spinal, tailbone, upper back, and lower back pain. I'm fine with the situps. So you wanna tell me how to do crunches right and how not to do them wrong?

himself
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2007, 12:20 AM

Mixing up your exercise routine can really go a long way in getting rid of that extra bit of fat. If you're doing basically the same thing each session, and you start to get a little bored with it (and you stop seeing any progress), it's past time to mix it up. Your body will adapt to the routine you give it, and it will "plan ahead" by keeping a little extra energy tucked away (in the form of fat). Force your body into thinking that it is in an emergency situation by pushing yourself beyond what you typically do, and doing things differently, and that fat will melt away. If, as in your example, your focus is biking, you may want to bring in something like swimming and/or weight training to bring your upper body in to the mix, and then your body has to work to fuel that part of the body as well. You already seem to be in excellent shape, but at this point you have to be really creative in order to get the results you want. Personal trainers are great for this for someone at your level (not that I'm recommending you hire one).

As far as diet, and you may be doing this already, but breaking up your meals into a bunch of smaller snacks helps a lot. so, instead of three-four large meals each day, eat five-eight (depending on your schedule and workout level) smaller meals. With larger meals, your body will always store something aside for later. With smaller meals, your body will use what it gets almost immediately, and that helps boost you metabolism even further.

Every winter I tend to gain that extra bit of weight around the belly (i've been working a bit harder this winter to keep it away, but I still get a little of it), but once the spring and summer comes around, I manage to get rid of it, and I give the credit primarily to workout variety over diet.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Lateralus  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2007, 12:35 AM

Yeah, I'm definitely wanting to mix it up a little now. Only problem is that right now I'm not sure what's feasible since it's pretty cold this time of year and I've never worked very well in the cold.

The most I can figure is a mix of cycling and jogging. I've never done jogging before but it almost seems like it'd be more of the same since, from what I understand, it's a largely cardio exercise as well.

One of the reasons I had avoided jogging in the past is that I've heard that it doesn't really do a whole lot more for you than brisk walking, but it's harder on your joints.

Any truth to that?

I'd be all for swimming if I could do it any time before May.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2007, 04:49 AM

Lets put it in terms Lateralus will relate to...

or:

It's all body fat percentage, which means you can be as strong as an ox and not be cut up. (relatively speaking). Unless your body fat percentage is less than 10% (roughly), you're not going to see the definition that you really want. That being said, you can be skinny as hell and still not 'look' lean and fit.

Muscle is a great way to dispose of fat, so weight training is a fantastic idea to build muscle. The increase in muscle tissue will have you burning more calories at rest too which is a good thing. If you're drinking soda (with sugar) you're already fighting a losing battle, especially if your tendency is to carry weight around the mid section.

Another thing is to eat more meals throughout the day - easier said than done, I know. But smaller portions, less carbs. It trains the body not to store fat. If you're REALLY gung ho eating 3 solid meals and replacement meals like shakes for the others will work wonders.

Most of all though, looks are all subjective. As long as you like what you see in the mirror, and you can pick up your share of groupies at the second leg of Tool's 10,000 days show life is grand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules