Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My First iPhone App

My First iPhone App
greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2007, 10:23 AM

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone yet. Anyone care to try it? It's a Medical Laboratory Reference "Application" but even if you don't understand it you can tell me if it works.

It is based off the Knox Template, but I rewrote it in PHP to pull all the data from a MySQL database. It doesn't scroll properly in Safari, but hopefullly it works okay on the iPhone. Come Christmas, I should be able to test things myself...

Link: Lab Tests
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2007, 11:27 AM

Seems to work just fine on my iPhone.

It's probably intentional at this point but there appears to be data missing from some of the screens. For example, Tumor Markers > ACTH has nothing under "Normal Range." There are also missing capitals letters and punctuation on several screens (see ACTH again for an example). Formatting-wise, the Note on the home page looks like it's too close to the left edge of the screen.

HTH
QS

greenG4  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2007, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the formating notes, I will clean that up within a day or two. It's also taking time to get all the normal ranges as I have to look a lot of them up. I'll get there, though. My main concern was making sure it worked. After I get everything else cleaned up I'll submit it to Apple to get listed.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2007, 12:25 PM

I corrected the typo in the title. It's no longer "My Frist..."

How do you put together an app without the platform to run it? Does the SDK come with an emulator?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

greenG4  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I corrected the typo in the title. It's no longer "My Frist..."

How do you put together an app without the platform to run it? Does the SDK come with an emulator?
Thanks for the typo fix. It's not native, so no SDK. I just used Safari 3 to test it the best I could. I also used iPhoney to see how it would look on the iPhone.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2007, 05:01 PM

Good work. Works well on my iPod touch.

greenG4  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks! Hopefully some medical types like myself will get some use out of it--or others who are simply interested. I cleaned up the text and put some space of the note on the home page as QSilver suggested. It should look a little better now. I also just added the rest of the Hematology tests. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how well it seems to work. The hardest part was getting the PHP to fit and output the correct formatting to work with the CSS and JS.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

philm
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2007, 08:46 AM

I have always admired people who write freeware software, but I have always assumed that they at least get the benefit of using a program which they probably wrote because they had a particular need for it (to some extent). Writing software when you can't even run it takes this philanthropy to another level!!

greenG4  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
I have always admired people who write freeware software, but I have always assumed that they at least get the benefit of using a program which they probably wrote because they had a particular need for it (to some extent). Writing software when you can't even run it takes this philanthropy to another level!!
On a side note, my wife did just get me my iPhone today. But it must sit under the tree until Christmas. Does that just seem cruel to anyone else? I'm a a lab tech according to my Associates degree, so this was at least something that interested me. I am, however, a health care administrator according to my Bachelors degree, so I'm not sure how much I'll use this. I hope someone finds it useful. If not, at least I'm learning how to develop for the iPhone. I also want to do an iPhone interface for openEMR. That might be a little bigger challenge, though.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2008, 04:22 PM

I see that LabTests has been published...

Apple - Web apps - Lab Tests

QS

greenG4  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2008, 04:44 PM

Woohoo! I just saw that myself. I have no real icon, though, since I suck at photoshop.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules