Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > SDK will be delayed

SDK will be delayed (Page 3)
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Apple has basically gone through no expenditure at all to make the SDK available besides the server space hosting it
And, I'm sure the $99/year goes towards the hosting of the app.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2008, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
And, I'm sure the $99/year goes towards the hosting of the app.
$99 is to have access to all the iPhone dev stuff as well. It's actually pretty reasonable. But like I said and Steve said, free apps are totally free to all.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 8, 2008, 11:52 PM

Sure. But like I said you didn't have to pay for 10.5.2 which had huge improvement and new functionality over 10.5.1. The difference between 2.0 and 1.1.3 isn't like 10.4.11 and 10.5.2. It's still basically exactly the same besides the ability to purchase apps and iTunes has a new icon. Apple has basically gone through no expenditure at all to make the SDK available besides the server space hosting it, they basically said that in the presentation. And a company with $15m in the bank can afford that.
No, actually, 10.5.2 only expands on the functionality of functions existing in 10.5. No new functions are added. Time machine in the menu bar doesn't change Time Machine, nor is it a dramatic new function. 2.0 adds enterprise functionalities, as well.

Not true. Apple made an update for 5G owners that gave them all the functionality of the 5.5G iPods except the search function, which is near useless with a clickwheel anyway (as a side note, it seems odd that they don't feature this on iPhones/touches.
I meant the difference between the 5G and 6G, not 5G and 5.5G. 5G and 6G iPods have the same internal parts per iSuppli. However, they have dramatically different firmwares. If one desires the Cover Flow and other functions of the 6G iPod, one must upgrade the hardware, as well.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2008, 12:23 AM

Exactly. I doubt we'll be seeing many free apps on the iPlatform. The only free apps will be from developers using them to promote their commercial products (like AIM, Google, Facebook, Flikr), or from out-of-work developers wanting to showcase their skills.
Or from people (like me) who are just happy knowing that people are using their software. I fully intend on buying a $99 registration (once I get an iPhone in December), and highly doubt I'll be charging a cent for any app(s) I write. Even if you decide to charge a whopping $1 for your software, you'll have broken even if you can muster 143 purchases a year (after the obligatory 30% for hosting).

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post
Re: AppleTV 2.0 being a huge update:

They sure did... I think the difference here is that the Touch has been a huge success, while the Apple TV has been a much lesser success (flop). So I'm sure Apple is hoping new software can only help their pet project.
Apple TV 2.0 is NOT hugely new functionality.

The only new functions are 1) Airport Express functionality - which isn't really much different from what it could do before - and 2) Movie rentals - which *is* new functionality, but incurs additional cost every time it is accessed, anyways, and thus doesn't fall under the Sarbanes-Oxley act.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Or from people (like me) who are just happy knowing that people are using their software. I fully intend on buying a $99 registration (once I get an iPhone in December), and highly doubt I'll be charging a cent for any app(s) I write. Even if you decide to charge a whopping $1 for your software, you'll have broken even if you can muster 143 purchases a year (after the obligatory 30% for hosting).
Excellent, I hope there are more developers like you!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
No, actually, 10.5.2 only expands on the functionality of functions existing in 10.5. No new functions are added.
If Apple never adds new functionality to incremental OS updates, then why do Mac users get all worked up into a MacWorld-OMG-they-just-released-the-iPhone-like frenzy whenever one is released?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Apple TV 2.0 is NOT hugely new functionality.

The only new functions are 1) Airport Express functionality - which isn't really much different from what it could do before - and 2) Movie rentals - which *is* new functionality, but incurs additional cost every time it is accessed, anyways, and thus doesn't fall under the Sarbanes-Oxley act.
Ah, but money will be exchanging hands for the apps as well. I'm sure, if they wanted to, that they could make an argument for why new functionality for the iPod Touch is exempt from the Sarbanes-Oxley act.

Still, though, no one has explained why Microsoft and Sony are apparently exempt the Sarbanes-Oxley act. Why is it that only Apple customers are subject to this act?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
I meant the difference between the 5G and 6G, not 5G and 5.5G. 5G and 6G iPods have the same internal parts per iSuppli. However, they have dramatically different firmwares. If one desires the Cover Flow and other functions of the 6G iPod, one must upgrade the hardware, as well.
Oh sorry about that. Some people refer to the 5.5G as 6G which I thought you were doing. It is possible to get most of the classic functions on the 6G, but it will probably kill your warranty if there's any left...

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2008, 11:32 AM

...Still, though, no one has explained why Microsoft and Sony are apparently exempt the Sarbanes-Oxley act. Why is it that only Apple customers are subject to this act?
Do we know how they account for the income? Direct or subscription? What are the Sony/Microsoft examples?

Currently, it appears that Apple only reports subscription payments on the apple TV and iPhone, so free updates over the duration of the payments.

Really, what's the big deal?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by k squared View Post
Do we know how they account for the income? Direct or subscription? What are the Sony/Microsoft examples?
2 related examples:
MS gave Zune2 functionality to Zune1 owners for free.
Sony added web browsing and location free TV functionality to PSP owners for free.

Neither has any sort of subscription model.

I don't know how Apple can report any subscription model for the Apple TV, since the Apple TV has no subscription model.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 12:16 PM

Currently, it appears that Apple only reports subscription payments on the apple TV and iPhone, so free updates over the duration of the payments.

Really, what's the big deal?
The Zune and PSP, especially the PSP. Since I got my PSP two years ago there it has become practically a whole new device with just software updates. Sony releases huge software updates probably every two to three months that add a pretty incredible amount of new features. And they're absolutely free.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 12:23 PM

Sony isn't based in the US. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act doesn't apply.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 03:49 PM

Sony isn't based in the US. The Sarbanes-Oxley Act doesn't apply.
I'd be willing to bet that Sony is selling it's products in the US through the Sony Corporation of America. But, ok. Microsoft is based in the US. Are they exempt from Sarbanes Oxley?

In any case, I still hold that any argument which can be made for free new functionality on the Apple TV can also be applied for free new functionality on the iPod Touch.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 9, 2008, 04:06 PM

If Apple never adds new functionality to incremental OS updates, then why do Mac users get all worked up into a MacWorld-OMG-they-just-released-the-iPhone-like frenzy whenever one is released?
Because Mac users are just easily excited. 10.5.2 only reverted Stacks, allows the deletion of transparency in the menu bar, made Time Machine more accessible, and had big fixes. Hardly a swath of new features.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 05:54 PM

I'd be willing to bet that Sony is selling it's products in the US through the Sony Corporation of America. But, ok. Microsoft is based in the US. Are they exempt from Sarbanes Oxley?

In any case, I still hold that any argument which can be made for free new functionality on the Apple TV can also be applied for free new functionality on the iPod Touch.
Third time: *What* new functionality on the Apple TV? (apart from that, I do recall Apple stating explicitly a while ago that the AppleTV is accounted for under a subscription model specifically so that they'd be able to roll out additional functionality)

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2008, 06:05 PM

New AppleTV functionality? Movie Rentals is the main one. I'd say that's a pretty big feature addition. Also: No computer syncing required. Flickr and .mac photos. Direct viewing/listening to podcasts without subscribing to them. Airtunes. New interface.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 07:55 PM

I do recall Apple stating explicitly a while ago that the AppleTV is accounted for under a subscription model specifically so that they'd be able to roll out additional functionality
Then they're lying, or pulling some sort of tricky accounting for the aTV that they've decided not to use for the Touch. The aTV has no subscription model. Certainly no subscription model that the Touch doesn't also have.

If you don't consider all the stuff Apple rolled out for aTV 2.0 to be new functionality, then why did they even bother? According to you, aTV 1.0 could do everything aTV 2.0 can.

What do you consider to be new functionality for the Touch with the SDK? The ability to run applications? It could already do that. The ability to add new apps? It could already do that as well (as evidenced by the addition of the iPhone apps). About the only thing being added to the Touch is the ability to get apps without having to sync to your computer, and even that functionality already existed by way of a 3rd party application: Installer.app (which even allowed us to upgrade the OS to 1.1.3 without having to sync). Heck, Apple could have even used Installer.app. In any case, being able to download new apps without having to sync could easily be considered an extension of existing functionality.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2008, 09:14 PM

Then they're lying, or pulling some sort of tricky accounting for the aTV that they've decided not to use for the Touch. The aTV has no subscription model. Certainly no subscription model that the Touch doesn't also have...
The "subscription" is how Apple reports the income from the sale of the appleTV. Rather than reporting the $299 all at once, it spreads the income over a set number of quarters. Same with the iPhone. With the touch, Apple records the full price within the quarter it's sold.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 09:45 PM

The "subscription" is how Apple reports the income from the sale of the appleTV. Rather than reporting the $299 all at once, it spreads the income over a set number of quarters.
Ummmmm .... so why not just do the same thing for the Touch?

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2008, 02:23 AM

All it would take for the SDK itself to be universal is for the coder to check "Universal" instead of "Intel" when he launched Xcode.
If only it were actually that simple. While Apple has done a much better job of making cross compatibility work compared to their competitors, a simple checkbox isn't going to magically make all code work, especially low level code needed for emulators.

The developer toolkit installed on my PowerPC Mini, I'll check later if the Intel only statement is indeed just to piss off the local PowerPC fanboys or actually factual.
<This space under renovation>

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 06:09 AM

Then they're lying, or pulling some sort of tricky accounting for the aTV that they've decided not to use for the Touch. The aTV has no subscription model. Certainly no subscription model that the Touch doesn't also have.
Ummmmm .... so why not just do the same thing for the Touch?
Maybe they will.

I think they weren't quite clear on what would happen with the iPod touch series when they released it. I think their business model is just starting to evolve quite differently from what they initially had planned (just another static addition to the iPod line) - or rather, it's taking off like crazy from an initial "let's just release it and see what happens" stance.

I think that not including Mail, Maps, and whatever was a deliberate attempt to create a distinction between the iPod touch and the iPhone.

I think that when the clamoring began, and the cracked apps started to multiply like crazy, and the iPod touch took off, they decided that it made more sense to offer a third-party SDK with identical features for BOTH lines and make a lot more money that way than they were losing in cannibalized or jailbroken iPhones.

But this is something they might have been hoping would happen, but weren't willing to bet their house on initially.
If you don't consider all the stuff Apple rolled out for aTV 2.0 to be new functionality, then why did they even bother? According to you, aTV 1.0 could do everything aTV 2.0 can.
I was asking YOU what's new.

HD movie rentals aren't a function AT ALL unless you're willing to pay as you go (which, to answer your question, is why they bothered).

I suppose Flickr and .Mac photo searching would qualify, though. Perhaps direct podcast searching as well.
( Last edited by analogika; Mar 10, 2008 at 06:24 AM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 06:20 AM

What do you consider to be new functionality for the Touch with the SDK?
Exchange support. Coming in 2.0.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 08:48 AM

Exchange support. Coming in 2.0.
That's not new functionality. That could easily be considered an extension of it's current email functionality.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 09:19 AM

HD movie rentals aren't a function AT ALL unless you're willing to pay as you go (which, to answer your question, is why they bothered).
Agreed. There is Airtunes as well. But, this is no more "new" than the iPhone/Touch email application supporting Exchange

I suppose Flickr and .Mac photo searching would qualify, though. Perhaps direct podcast searching as well.
These are most certainly new.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 09:34 AM

Either way, not relevant, since the accounting model is a different one for the Apple TV.
MacNN | Changes in accounting for Apple TV, iPhone
Accounting rules behind iPod touch update charge - PC-WELT

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 09:36 AM

That's not new functionality. That could easily be considered an extension of it's current email functionality.
The same way 802.11n was an extension of then-current functionality, and adding TDM support to Logic 7 was an extension of then-current functionality; IOW: new functionality.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 10:36 AM

The same way 802.11n was an extension of then-current functionality, and adding TDM support to Logic 7 was an extension of then-current functionality; IOW: new functionality.
In which case, we've just proven that, for computing platforms, which the iPhone/Touch most certainly is, there really is no such thing as "new functionality". Almost anything could be considered an extension of existing functionality.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 10:43 AM

Either way, not relevant, since the accounting model is a different one for the Apple TV.
Which I still don't get. The Touch also has the ability to generate monthly income for Apple. Given that there are likely more Touch users making purchases through it than AppleTV users doing the same, and that Apple is already developing the software for the iPhone, I don't understand why the Touch isn't accounted for in the same manner as the aTV and iPhone.

And, again, there's still the fact that Microsoft apparently doesn't have to worry about all this software-upgrade-accounting garbage. I'm not going to be sticking around very long with a platform that charges me every time there's a software upgrade when other platforms offer upgrades for free. Either that, or I'll be looking for other avenues to upgrade my device.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 11:17 AM

Maybe they will.

I think they weren't quite clear on what would happen with the iPod touch series when they released it. I think their business model is just starting to evolve quite differently from what they initially had planned (just another static addition to the iPod line) - or rather, it's taking off like crazy from an initial "let's just release it and see what happens" stance.

I think that not including Mail, Maps, and whatever was a deliberate attempt to create a distinction between the iPod touch and the iPhone.

I think that when the clamoring began, and the cracked apps started to multiply like crazy, and the iPod touch took off, they decided that it made more sense to offer a third-party SDK with identical features for BOTH lines and make a lot more money that way than they were losing in cannibalized or jailbroken iPhones.

But this is something they might have been hoping would happen, but weren't willing to bet their house on initially.
'nuff said the first time around.

Visnaut
Senior User
Mar 10, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Drakino View Post
To make the SDK work on PowerPC systems, Apple would need to make the iPhone emulator work on both sides. Emulators aren't easy to make, and the major difficulty here is emulating the ARM processor in the phone. Now Intel has a big part in the ARM processor, and likely shared a lot of work with Apple to get this up and running. This is effort spent to allow an SDK to work on a platform Apple will stick with for a long time. However to do the same for PowerPC would take even more effort, for an architecture that is fading from the Mac world.
I have a PowerPC, and as much as it sucks for me right now, I have to agree with what you have to say: Apple's got to cut the cord at some point.

But check this out:

Surprise, iPhone SDK also works on PowerPC Macs - iPhone Atlas

seivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2008, 06:29 PM

so we are able to get the SDK now? or do we have to wait til June? $99 isnt bad for hosting the app and getting support etc... Apples employees need to feed their kids too.

I'll be disappointed if we have to wait until June just to use the apps

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by seivad View Post
so we are able to get the SDK now? or do we have to wait til June? $99 isnt bad for hosting the app and getting support etc... Apples employees need to feed their kids too.

I'll be disappointed if we have to wait until June just to use the apps
Uh, yes. And you're in for a disappointment.

seivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2008, 06:47 PM

thats a bit of a tease isnt it? but we can still test/develop now and come June, are able to upload it?

if thats the case, anyone with XCode will be able to install other peoples apps before June then, windows users will miss out.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
I have a PowerPC, and as much as it sucks for me right now, I have to agree with what you have to say: Apple's got to cut the cord at some point.
Tosh.
If it installs partially on (real) Macs why is Apple saying it's Intel only? And if it can be forced to install completely with the iPhone emulator, and the iPhone emulator is a UB, why does Apple feel the need to lie so brazenly?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Tosh.

If it installs partially on (real) Macs why is Apple saying it's Intel only? And if it can be forced to install completely with the iPhone emulator, and the iPhone emulator is a UB, why does Apple feel the need to lie so brazenly?
Apple has said that several apps are Intel only, but they work fine on PowerPC Macs. It's a subversive way to get us PowerPC nerds over to Intel. Never Apple! Although we have an Intel Mac mini in the house now, but it's not mine.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 03:47 AM

If it installs partially on (real) Macs
It doesn't. You won't get it to install at all on a 680x0 machine.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2008, 11:47 AM

So is it true that SDK apps get interrupted by calls and can't be resumed?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 04:52 PM

It doesn't. You won't get it to install at all on a 680x0 machine.
Ha ha, very true. I was thinking that beastly Power Mac 8100 in the garage that never dies...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2008, 04:53 PM

So is it true that SDK apps get interrupted by calls and can't be resumed?
According to the Human Rights Interface thing, yes. But I doubt it. Apple's apps don't do that.

Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 05:07 PM

By adding in one line of code, it can be ignored.

seivad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2008, 05:16 PM

that line being? is that to temporarily save the app in its current state then once the user comes back it begins from that break point?

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2008, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by seivad View Post
that line being? is that to temporarily save the app in its current state then once the user comes back it begins from that break point?
Isn't this how every iPhone app should work automatically? When I "quit" notes, it saves the state it's in until I "open" it again. Same with Maps, Weather, etc. Whenever you switch apps, it quits/saves the state of the app in question.

Some apps, like Mail, run in the background. I'm not sure how I feel about allowing SDK apps to do this...unless there's a Activity Monitor app released to I can check usage, etc.

Actually, Activity Monitor is a good example of a run-away background app: prior versions had a process leak which consumed a lot of memory.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2008, 05:36 AM

Good to know it's not a rigid limitation, as so many trollish posters on /. seemed to think.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2008, 09:28 AM

Has anyone been "handpicked" by Apple to be a developer yet? I didn't see when they'd start picking people.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2008, 10:42 AM

Good to know it's not a rigid limitation, as so many trollish posters on /. seemed to think.
Off topic, but there are a TON of Apple-haters on /. It's unbelievavble.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2008, 10:46 AM

There are?

I don't think I've ever bothered reading at below +2 levels or so.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2008, 10:51 AM

There are?

I don't think I've ever bothered reading at below +2 levels or so.
I seem to get selected to mod a lot lately and I browse at -1 for that. That's when I started noticing. Most of the haters get modded down. But there were still a lot of people modding the haters as "Insightful" in the latest iPhone SDK discussion.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules