Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Ethernet Network between Mac & PC

Ethernet Network between Mac & PC
zurek106
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 12:38 AM

I have been able to connect to the Mac HD from the PC (Windows XP), but I Can NOT connect to the PC from the mac? The computer will not show up in the servers list! What should I do?

dirtbikephil
Aug 17, 2004, 02:03 AM

Yeah Mac OS X really isn't good at listing networked computers in the Network Finder. They need to get on the ball and fix this quick style. It's a shame really since Windows is so much better at automatically listing connected computers.

Anyways enough w/the bitchn, just go to "Connect to Server" on the Finder menu bar under "Go". Then just enter "smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx" Replace the x's w/your IP address.

Peace out.

zurek106  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 11:34 AM

already did this�� PLEASE HELP! I have been working on this for the past 6.5 hours!

Originally posted by dirtbikephil:
Yeah Mac OS X really isn't good at listing networked computers in the Network Finder. They need to get on the ball and fix this quick style. It's a shame really since Windows is so much better at automatically listing connected computers.

Anyways enough w/the bitchn, just go to "Connect to Server" on the Finder menu bar under "Go". Then just enter "smb://xxx.xxx.x.xxx" Replace the x's w/your IP address.

Peace out.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 03:44 PM

There's about a 50:50 chance that it will work, but reboot the Mac while the PC server is still running. Then try again to connect to server as described above.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2004, 09:13 PM

If you haven't shared a resource (usually a folder) on the Windows machine, it won't be seen from the Mac. Make a folder on the PC, right click on it and select "Sharing," then choose to share it with all rights. After that, reboot the PC (it's not absolutely necessary, but it helps), and you'll probably see the PC from the Mac.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

zurek106  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 12:01 AM

Every windows XP computer already has a folder that is automatically shared. I did add a new folder and right clicked on it and chose sharing� still no luck. I think that its just one setting that I have to change on the windows machine like, set up sharing or start sharing.
-Dan

Originally posted by GHPorter:
If you haven't shared a resource (usually a folder) on the Windows machine, it won't be seen from the Mac. Make a folder on the PC, right click on it and select "Sharing," then choose to share it with all rights. After that, reboot the PC (it's not absolutely necessary, but it helps), and you'll probably see the PC from the Mac.

ssevennm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2004, 03:16 PM

To get this to work for me, I had to do/check the following...

On the PC:

- Make sure that the following ports are open if you use the built-in firewall (properties of your network connection, advanced tab) 139, 445 TCP and 137, 138 UDP (in XP-SR2, checking the File and Print Sharing on the exceptions tab opens these ports).

- In System Properties (right click My Computer and select properties) on the Computer Name tab, note the name of your workgroup, which often defaults to WORKGROUP, but may be different.

On the Mac:

- Make sure that the following ports are open if you use the built-in firewall (Sharing in System Preferences) 139 (opened when you start Windows Sharing service) and I also added 445 (SMB without netbios).

- Open the Directory Access.app in the Utilities folder, Click on SMB, Click the Configure button and make sure the workgroup is the same as the workgroup that your PC is in.

At this point you might want to reboot both machines. When I go to Network on the Mac, I see the PC and when I click it I get an SMP/CIFS Filesystem Authentication dialog and I log in with my PC user account, followed by an SMB Mount dialog asking which share I want to mount. On the PC, when I go to My Network Places | Entire Network | Microsoft Windows Network and open the workgroup set above, I see two machines, the PC and the Mac.

Good luck.
p.s. In addition, if you suspect that the firewall is causing you problems, disable the firewall on both machines. If it starts working then, it's just a matter of opening the right ports.
PowerBook 17" G4: 1.0Ghz/1.0GB RAM/60GB HD
PowerBook 15" G4: 1.25Ghz/1.0GB RAM/80GB HD

8minute
Sep 3, 2004, 01:52 AM

I have had this problem too on my mates LAN. His machine seem to come up in the Finder after he mapped to my Mac via Windows Explorer. Once he connected I noticed all the computers that were connected on his LAN showed up in my Finder. Not sure if it was as a result of him connecting to my machine.

Also sometimes after rebooting it seems to work. So yeah, I agree that it's a hit and miss thing (which is disappointing considering how easy it was to connect to the Mac from the Win XP machine).

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 09:16 PM

so are there often problems when connecting macs and pcs with os x?

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by storer:
so are there often problems when connecting macs and pcs with os x?
Not really, but sometimes things aren't as simple as your typical Mac user is used to. Sometimes you have to do a little tinkering on both sides.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Not really, but sometimes things aren't as simple as your typical Mac user is used to. Sometimes you have to do a little tinkering on both sides.
Thanks! I have to do this soon, but possibly with Windows ME. I know ME is bad, but I have no choice. Do you know of any resources I can go to?

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by storer:
Thanks! I have to do this soon, but possibly with Windows ME. I know ME is bad, but I have no choice. Do you know of any resources I can go to?
Besides here? Maybe the Apple support forums or http://www.macosxhints.com/.

ME is no longer supported by Microsoft so Apple didn't bother to make things any easier for Windows 98 and its derivatives to network with Mac OS X machines. Recently, I had a 10.3.x machine networked with a Win98 machine. I had no trouble going from the Mac to the Win machine, but I was never able to connect to the Mac from the Win machine. It was more important to me to connect to the Win machine from the Mac than the other way around, so I never bothered to figure out how to do it. If that's what you need (Win machine connecting to the Mac), I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you.

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 07:05 PM

ME is no longer supported by Microsoft so Apple didn't bother to make things any easier for Windows 98 and its derivatives to network with Mac OS X machines. Recently, I had a 10.3.x machine networked with a Win98 machine. I had no trouble going from the Mac to the Win machine, but I was never able to connect to the Mac from the Win machine. It was more important to me to connect to the Win machine from the Mac than the other way around, so I never bothered to figure out how to do it. If that's what you need (Win machine connecting to the Mac), I'm sure someone around here will be able to help you.
Thanks. Might just have to buy a new windows box or get out apple technician to have a look.

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 09:23 PM

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Network browsing in Panther simply isn't as reliable as it was in Jaguar for SMB shares. This is a well-known issue.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 10:03 PM

Actually, I still can't figure out how to connect to the Mac from the Windows machine. Can do it the other way around, however. I run ME on the Windows Machine also.
iamwhor3hay

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
Actually, I still can't figure out how to connect to the Mac from the Windows machine. Can do it the other way around, however. I run ME on the Windows Machine also.
Well thats a start! It seems to be a little bit random. I will be back if I have problems!

Forum Links
Forum Rules