Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does Apple Now Own IE For Mac?

Does Apple Now Own IE For Mac?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 02:54 PM

I noticed recently with IE crashing that when the "Submit Report" appears aftewards that it says, "Send report to Apple?" (Submit or cancel.)

Why would the report go to Apple and not Microsoft?

I know that Microsoft announced that they were no longer going to support or make improvements to IE, so what's the scoop?

On the other hand, I just downloaded Netscape 7.2 and it renders beautifully and I have to say that I think it is faster than Safari. I think it is crisper and cleaner, also. (I know a bunch of you Safari nuts are going to beat me up about not thinking Safari is better. )

I've had problems with Safari rendering properly for our eBay auctions when I wrote the HTML so I preferred IE for that, but Netscape 7.2 is REALLY nice.

Especially with the tabs and composer.

Have a good one!

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 02:56 PM

No ya dink. It submits a report for ANY application that crashes. Apple would still like to know if MacOSX is responsible for the crash.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 03:00 PM

Sorry, but I don't have a dink.

And, also sorry, I'm not a Mac professional. Why does Apple need to know if IE is crashing if they don't support it?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Sorry, but I don't have a dink.

And, also sorry, I'm not a Mac professional. Why does Apple need to know if IE is crashing if they don't support it?
It happens when ANY application on OS X crashes, Apple owned or not. Its just so Apple can get some information on crashes and if OS X is causing it.

Thanks,
Oliver

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 9, 2005, 03:03 PM

Read Digruntled's response, he already answered that question.

tooki

PacHead
Baninated
Jan 9, 2005, 03:04 PM

I noticed recently with IE crashing that when the "Submit Report" appears aftewards that it says, "Send report to Apple?" (Submit or cancel.)

I know that Microsoft announced that they were no longer going to support or make improvements to IE, so what's the scoop?

On the other hand, I just downloaded Netscape 7.2 and it renders beautifully and I have to say that I think it is faster than Safari. I think it is crisper and cleaner, also. (I know a bunch of you Safari nuts are going to beat me up about not thinking Safari is better. )

I've had problems with Safari rendering properly for our eBay auctions when I wrote the HTML so I preferred IE for that, but Netscape 7.2 is REALLY nice.

Especially with the tabs and composer.

Have a good one!
I believe when any program, regardless who it is made by crashes/unexpectedly quits, the "submit report" box that shows up is by Apple and it goes to Apple. That is a function of the OS and not the program that crashed/quit.

Netscape is still around ?

Have you tried any of the other browsers around ? Firefox, camino, mozilla, opera ? IE is horrible and I can't believe anybody in 2005 still even uses it on Mac. IE has been deemed dangerous and a security threat (on the pc side at least) by many groups. Use at your own risk.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 03:11 PM

Man there is an echo in this thread
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2005, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Man there is an echo in this thread

It takes C-DAWG a little while to get it, so it helps for him to hear the same thing multiple times from multiple sources...

PacHead
Baninated
Jan 9, 2005, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
It takes C-DAWG a little while to get it, so it helps for him to hear the same thing multiple times from multiple sources...
her

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
IE is horrible and I can't believe anybody in 2005 still even uses it on Mac.
Well.... If Apple would get and put the scrapbook feature into Safari like I've asked them to like a million times...

(I'm still on 10.2.8, so if it's been added in some version of Safari for 10.3 then please ignore this post. Which you probably will anyway)

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 04:32 PM

Same goes to Windows XP.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
her
Strokes chin...

porieux
Baninated
Jan 9, 2005, 04:49 PM

The real question is why in the world are you using MSIE at this point? It hasn't been updated in a really long time and it's not good at all.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 04:52 PM

in 3 years of mac usage i haven't opened ie once...
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 04:56 PM

Unfortunately for me, IE is still the only browser that can open and properly use some of the sties that I visit. I use Safari for almost everything else.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Unfortunately for me, IE is still the only browser that can open and properly use some of the sties that I visit. I use Safari for almost everything else.
Which sites? I'm just curious.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 05:20 PM

i use some sites not compliant with safari too. but firefox seems to do the job with those sites lately.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2005, 05:23 PM

That dialog is put up by OSX, not IE. Similar dialogs appear when any app crashes.
Although Microsoft has abandoned IE/Mac, the Tasman engine which it uses is still actively supported as part of MSN/Mac.

MSN/Mac may be one of the Mac's best-kept secrets. Its standards support blows even Gecko and Safari out of the water. However, since you must pay up front to use it (there is no demo mode), very few people or designers are aware of this fact.

If you like Netscape 7.2, you may want to try the latest Mozilla (not Firefox, since Firefox doesn't have Composer and you mentioned liking that). It's based on the same rendering engine as Netscape, but it's more up to date. You might also consider Nvu, which seeks to break Composer out into its own Firefox-like app, but Nvu is still under development and the Mac porting efforts started relatively recently, so you might not yet find it to your taste.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
MSN/Mac may be one of the Mac's best-kept secrets. Its standards support blows even Gecko and Safari out of the water. However, since you must pay up front to use it (there is no demo mode), very few people or designers are aware of this fact.
Are you sure? Last I heard, Tasman was not as compliant as Gecko. I doubt it suddenly blows Gecko "out of the water." Do you have a link?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2005, 11:19 PM

Okay, I just got back in and saw all of your responses.

For the record, I agree with 110011001 when he said,
Now, I have on my computer IE, Safari, Opera (a paid download), Mozilla, and now Netscape.

Of all of them, the newest Netscape is the nicest and is just as fast as Safari. On both our PC and our Mac the Netscape browser is crisper than any other (without toggling the controls.)

It just has some really nice features.

Before you flame me for using Netscape, PLEASE take 2 minutes and download it and give it a try for 10 minutes then report back.

Thanks, Millenium for your (as usual) detailed response.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2005, 11:57 PM

Now, I have on my computer IE, Safari, Opera (a paid download), Mozilla, and now Netscape.
I smell a lie or a mistake because mozilla is not a browser it is the developer that creates firefox.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 12:03 AM

Microsoft owns Safari.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
Microsoft owns Safari.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
I smell a lie or a mistake because mozilla is not a browser it is the developer that creates firefox.
Is that sarcasm or are you serious? Mozilla is indeed a browser. Camino, Firefox, and Netscape are all based on Mozilla, but all changes and advances are made in Mozilla first IIRC.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by lavar78:
Is that sarcasm or are you serious? Mozilla is indeed a browser. Camino, Firefox, and Netscape are all based on Mozilla, but all changes and advances are made in Mozilla first IIRC.
Word.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 12:05 AM

Okay, so it's Firefox 1.0.

But it's made by Mozilla.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 01:18 AM

If you're going to pay for a browser, it should be OmniWeb.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 01:22 AM

Okay, so it's Firefox 1.0.

But it's made by Mozilla.
different things.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 01:28 AM

If you're going to pay for a browser, it should be OmniWeb.
No, iCab.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 04:25 AM

Before you flame me for using Netscape, PLEASE take 2 minutes and download it and give it a try for 10 minutes then report back
There is absolutely no reason to use Netscape over Mozilla. None. Period.

I recommend Firefox over the full Mozilla suite, but if you insist on using Composer then I guess you're stuck. The best solution, though, is to just learn how to code HTML instead of relying on broken crutches like WYSIWYG editors.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
There is absolutely no reason to use Netscape over Mozilla. None. Period.

I recommend Firefox over the full Mozilla suite, but if you insist on using Composer then I guess you're stuck. The best solution, though, is to just learn how to code HTML instead of relying on broken crutches like WYSIWYG editors.
While I still like the Mozilla suite, the Firefox-like standalone Composer replacement Nvu (as Millennium previously said) is slowly becoming better and better. Anyway, I hope that, after having broken up the classic Mozilla suite into its components (Firefox, Thunderbird, Nvu, Sunbird, etc.), they will eventually re-integrate it, in an obviously much more modular way: having an integrated (and cross-platform) suite of Internet apps is very convenient for many people, so it would be a good thing to enhance the interaction between the apps as a whole - maybe in some form of integrated Mozilla.org open source iLife-like suite...
( Last edited by Sven G; Jan 10, 2005 at 07:51 AM. )

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

roberto blanco
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 07:53 AM

1. firefox
2. safari
3. omniweb
4. chimera
the rest.

if you want to make websites, use "subethaedit", "bbedit" or "dreamweaver"...fer cryin' out loud.

/i still use i.e. on my bondi imac running 9.2.2

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 08:16 AM

Of all of them, the newest Netscape is the nicest and is just as fast as Safari. On both our PC and our Mac the Netscape browser is crisper than any other (without toggling the controls.)
Netscape is just a rebranded Mozilla.

What do you mean by "crisper"?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
Actually, I think it was probably necessary for him to hear it from PacHead.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:

Makes you wonder why they don't just release a little 5.2.4 update to IE with the latest rendering engine..

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Actually, I think it was probably necessary for him to hear it from PacHead.
Speaking of iWrite/Cody (who's a "she", btw) and continual need for affirmation:

Whatever happened to Mr. iWrite, a.k.a. "aberdeenwriter"?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Netscape is just a rebranded Mozilla.

She doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Speaking of iWrite/Cody (who's a "she", btw) and continual need for affirmation:

Whatever happened to Mr. iWrite, a.k.a. "aberdeenwriter"?
There is no need to attempt to influence votes for another 4 years

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 11:09 AM

Which sites? I'm just curious.
For me - my online banking. There are a couple others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

The moment that I do recall them, my #1 priority will be to dig up this thread and complete my report.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
There is no need to attempt to influence votes for another 4 years
FORIIEGN AGE3NT!!!! AUGGH!1

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
For me - my online banking.
Complain. Then change banks.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 02:36 PM

The best solution, though, is to just learn how to code HTML instead of relying on broken crutches like WYSIWYG editors.
Actually, I do. I don't really like Composer, no. I find it's easier to know the code, just as you said.

Now about aberdeenwriter? He is in the midst of an affair with a young girl that I do not approve of and I do not talk to him any longer because of it. I think that the two of them both need psychiatrists, to be honest.

That's all for today!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 02:38 PM

What I meant by "crisper" look is that the font smoothing isn't automatic as it is in Safari, that's all. I can adjust it in Preferences by font size ("turn off...") but Netscape just looks better on our Macs for some reason.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that in there so that you don't think I'm comparing a browser to a head of lettuce since I "don't know what in the hell I'm talking about."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 02:43 PM

Are you sure? Last I heard, Tasman was not as compliant as Gecko. I doubt it suddenly blows Gecko "out of the water." Do you have a link?
The last version of Tasman that was used in IE/Mac isn't as compliant as Gecko; this is true. It is only the latest version, which can only be used by subscribers to MSN, that have this uber-turbocharged version.

But don't take my word for it. I don't know why they haven't released an update to IE/Mac with the latest engine -how many Mac users use MSN as an ISP anyway?- but it would be wonderful if they did.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

roberto blanco
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 02:50 PM

He is in the midst of an affair with a young girl that I do not approve of and I do not talk to him any longer because of it. I think that the two of them both need psychiatrists, to be honest.
OMFG

...that just explains soooo much.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
It's stored next to the carrots in the fridge.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 03:57 PM

Now about aberdeenwriter? He is in the midst of an affair with a young girl that I do not approve of and I do not talk to him any longer because of it. I think that the two of them both need psychiatrists, to be honest.
HAAHAHAHA!

THAT'S who that was? oh man... nope, one more time...
BWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!

*ahem*

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
This has been replied to already, but just for the sake of completeness:

Mozilla Suite: http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

FireFox: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Camino: http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/

All made by an organization named Mozilla. Top one on that list is also a product named Mozilla. It's a browser/email/pancake maker/etc. product whose bloatedness prompted the creation of Camino/FireFox/Thunderbird, et al.

So there.

"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:
This has been replied to already, but just for the sake of completeness:

Mozilla Suite: http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

FireFox: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Camino: http://www.mozilla.org/products/camino/

All made by an organization named Mozilla. Top one on that list is also a product named Mozilla. It's a browser/email/pancake maker/etc. product whose bloatedness prompted the creation of Camino/FireFox/Thunderbird, et al.

So there.

That's the mozilla suite it does include a web browser but it does everything so its kind of ignored by me because there are stripped down versions that in my opinion are better(see firefox)

roam
Jan 10, 2005, 07:42 PM

Thee's one site that just refuses to work in anything other than IE. math.com. I've tried changing use agents, everything, still no dice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules