Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading a single quad-core to a dual quad-core in the future?

Upgrading a single quad-core to a dual quad-core in the future?
alon99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 05:22 PM

Hi everyone,

Can I buy the single quad-core Mac Pro today, and drop in a second quad-core processor in the future? Is there an empty socket, or does the single quad-core use a different motherboard?

Do processors need to be matched pairs? Or in the future would I be able to drop in a 3.2GHz processor alongside the existing 2.8?

Thanks!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 06:00 PM

Find a Mac Pro with a single processor, take a picture of it and come back to us and ask this question.

We haven't even seen the motherboard in a single processor Mac Pro, yet!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2008, 06:37 PM

The Service Source document for the Mac pro ( early 2008 ) only lists two logic board part numbers 2.8/3.0 GHz (661-4449) and 3.2 GHz (661-4676), so best guess is the single processor CAN be upgraded by adding a second processor and heat sink.

The new machines appear to use a board revision nearly identical to the 8 core with the exception of using the 5400X chip set and a revised northbridge heat sink/cooler in place of the 5000X chipset and heat sink.

zaghahzag
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by newtech View Post
The Service Source document for the Mac pro ( early 2008 ) only lists two logic board part numbers 2.8/3.0 GHz (661-4449) and 3.2 GHz (661-4676), so best guess is the single processor CAN be upgraded by adding a second processor and heat sink.

The new machines appear to use a board revision nearly identical to the 8 core with the exception of using the 5400X chip set and a revised northbridge heat sink/cooler in place of the 5000X chipset and heat sink.
it could be crippled in firmware right? I seriously doubt apple is going to sell a single proc machine that you can upgrade to two processors. It's not their style.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by alon99 View Post
Can I buy the single quad-core Mac Pro today, and drop in a second quad-core processor in the future? Is there an empty socket, or does the single quad-core use a different motherboard?
Yes, you should be able to add another CPU in the future.

Originally Posted by alon99 View Post
Do processors need to be matched pairs? Or in the future would I be able to drop in a 3.2GHz processor alongside the existing 2.8?
Yes, they need to be matched.

Originally Posted by newtech
Strange... I'd expect the 2.8 to be separate form the 3.0/3.2, since the latter two have a higher TDP than the former.

newtech
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2008, 07:14 PM

No, the 3.2 ( X5482 ) is the only part with the 130 Watt TDP. All others are 80 Watts or less TDP. The 3.2 in fact requires "liquid metal"/Krytox thermal compound and gasket like the previous 8 core 3.0 GHz ( X5365 ).

Firmware lock out of a second processor, while not easy to circumvent should it be employed, presents only a problem not an impossablity. In any case, from production standpoint simply removing a processor rather than altering firmware makes more sense cost wise ( ie fewer parts to stock, less rework to BTO/CTO )
( Last edited by newtech; Jan 8, 2008 at 07:24 PM. )

alon99  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 01:38 PM

Hi everyone,

Just checking back on this thread - now that a few people actually have these systems, are there any additional thoughts on wether this is a viable option? All the internal shots of the MacPro that I've seen don't show the actual processors - would I need to buy some sort of Apple-specific heatsync part if I was going to upgrade in the future?

Thanks,

Alon

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2008, 04:06 PM

As stated, there is only one part number for the logic boards of units below 3.2GHz. If the firmware were any different, there would be a different part number. Apple has a system in place where they can offer variants of the same part under the same part number. 99% of these are compatible so you can swap them freely. I guess these variants are used to distinguish different batches of drives or changes of components or design revisions on Apple's custom boards. There are no variants of either Mac Pro board at the moment. At the very least, a board with different firmware would have one of these variant codes. Otherwise the warehouse would not be able to tell them apart.
Apple could introduce variants in the future. Its not unheard of for them to add equivalent parts with entirely different part numbers.

I would bet that all currently shipped units will take a second matching CPU, no questions asked.
The first gen Pros could be upgraded from quad to 8 core and presumeably you could just go for higher clock speeds as with Mac Minis or iMacs but it looks like a sub 3.2GHz unit will be impossible (or maybe just not sensible) to upgrade to 3.2 or beyond.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

dan_aka_jack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 12:36 PM

Hi there,

This is a very interesting thread.

Where could I source a Mac Pro heatsink if I were to do a DIY-install of a second Xeon processor? Is eBay the only way to get hold of a Mac Pro heatsink?

Many thanks,
Jack

Aegis
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2008, 10:12 AM

I've heard speculation that the single CPU MacPro has a different logic board with only one processor slot. I haven't heard definitively from someone who owns one though. So all this talk may be moot if we don't find out for certain

Forum Links
Forum Rules