Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Will Panther prevent you from using the same copy on 2 computers on the same network?

Will Panther prevent you from using the same copy on 2 computers on the same network?
Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 02:30 PM

Basically I am trying to connect 2 compuers for file sharing only (not neccessarily internet). I am using an ethernet router. Both machines can see the other in the finder/Network window, in the iChat Rendevous window, and in the iTunes Streamed Library window, but any further contact between the 2 fails. The firewalls will allow connections, and sharing is turned on on both machines.
The only problem I can think of is that Apple designed OS X to not work with a copy installed on more than one computer, since I know that they sell a family pack that allows a number of instals over a homenetwork.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2004, 02:35 PM

OSX does not do this. Apple doesn't even use a simple serial number scheme, so it has no way of uniquely identifying installs. Without that ability, it is technologically impossible for Apple to do what you claim.

What method of file sharing are you trying to use? Keep in mind, there are several options available to you, including classic Mac filesharing, Windows filesharing, FTP, and HTTP through Personal Web Sharing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2004, 05:27 PM

How long do you think Apple will continue to trust its customers before adopting some sort of serial number, or even Microsoftian activation scheme?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mrgaskell
Senior User
Dec 17, 2004, 05:32 PM

Never. That would be anti-mac behavior.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2004, 05:40 PM

As long as they sell you a copy with every mac sold.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
OSX does not do this. Apple doesn't even use a simple serial number scheme, so it has no way of uniquely identifying installs. Without that ability, it is technologically impossible for Apple to do what you claim.

What method of file sharing are you trying to use? Keep in mind, there are several options available to you, including classic Mac filesharing, Windows filesharing, FTP, and HTTP through Personal Web Sharing.
If by classic Mac filesharing you mean opening window, clicking the grey sphere labeled "Network" and then cruising the other computer's shared folder/files, then yes that is the option I am trying to get to work. I have personal file sharing on, my my firewall is allowing the corresponding port, as well as the rendevous, iTunes, and various other ports- on both computers. I'm at a loss now.

My website

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
As long as they sell you a copy with every mac sold.
In some ways it will encourage new hardware sales because people can test out Mac OS X on their beige G3 or older iMac, PowerMac and realize they need better hardware and they upgrade sooner.

Apple will never do this with their consumer products. Now their business software products are serialized.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2004, 06:03 PM

I bought a 100 seat license, and all I got was a piece of paper, which gives me permission to install on up to 100 machines. I have one set of install disks. If you want to be an upstanding citizen, buy the family pack, which is a license for 5 installs.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 06:08 PM

not an expert with this, but..is appletalk turned on? (in network pref pane);
check that preference setting...

hope this helps...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2004, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
If by classic Mac filesharing you mean opening window, clicking the grey sphere labeled "Network" and then cruising the other computer's shared folder/files, then yes that is the option I am trying to get to work. I have personal file sharing on, my my firewall is allowing the corresponding port, as well as the rendevous, iTunes, and various other ports- on both computers. I'm at a loss now.
That style browsing really does not work well. The Connect to Server dialog is what you'll want to use.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
How long do you think Apple will continue to trust its customers before adopting some sort of serial number, or even Microsoftian activation scheme?
Well I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is sooner then you think. Just look at this thread, the OP is looking to install Panther on two computers. If I tried with MS, I'd need to buy two copies of XP.

Apple is no in business to give away panther but make money.

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2004, 07:38 PM

Here's something you can try:

Open System Prefs --> Network.
I'm assuming your network connections are showing GREEN.
Double-click on your connection.
Goto the first machine, and click the TCP/IP tab.
At the bottom, in Search Domains, type in .local [dot local]
Do the same on the second machine.
Be sure the IP addresses on these two tabs are unique, but with the same SubnetMask.

If that doesn't do it, go back to System Prefs --> Network.
Change the Show to "Network Port Configurations"
Drag your "Built-In Ethernet" to the top of the list on both computers.

If that doesn't work, go back to System Prefs --> Network.
Go to the TCP/IP tab. Check your DHCP settings.
Make sure the Router address is correct for your Router. In some cases, when the Router is not configured correctly, the Router setting on this tab will default to an internal address.

IF none of this helps any, please add another post and tell us what you see in the Network Status screen on both machines and tell use what is being reported on the DHCP under the TCP/IP tab. I'm sure someone will be able to give you an answer.

Good Luck!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Well I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is sooner then you think. Just look at this thread, the OP is looking to install Panther on two computers. If I tried with MS, I'd need to buy two copies of XP.

I agree Apple might quietly start by checking mac addresses when software update is run!

Watch out for the "Eye of The Tiger!"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 17, 2004, 07:56 PM

It costs money to serialize software. Not only does a serial number generator need to be used to print the cards/stickers, but there's also the cost of tech support for the thousands of people who will find some way to do it wrong. And if Apple goofs up and it doesn't accept legit serial numbers, that'll raise tech support costs even more.

I think Apple realizes that for some products, it's not worth the costs to serialize.

tooki

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:

The original poster specified that he got a major site license but was only supplied one installation set.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
I bought a 100 seat license, and all I got was a piece of paper, which gives me permission to install on up to 100 machines. I have one set of install disks. If you want to be an upstanding citizen, buy the family pack, which is a license for 5 installs.
This is typical of corporate licensing. You can break the rules, and the CEO may go to jail if caught. And many under him get fired.

Microsoft does the same thing for many of its products, and only hopes corpusa all follow the rules. I once got a piece of paper from MS that was worth about $10k for licenses.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2004, 10:44 PM

The original poster specified that he got a major site license but was only supplied one installation set.
No he didn't,
Unless I missed something, the OP never mentioned having a major site license. All he was saying was he's trying to connect two macs together.

Anubis IV
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2004, 01:31 AM

I was always under the impression that a single user license could be used on any Macs under the same roof, as in, if a father purchases a copy of Panther (single license) and wants to install it on the kiddies' computer he could do that. Is that idea mistaken? Obviously that wouldn't apply to the corporate world, but what of families and the like? I could have sworn I saw that in the Apple user agreement documentation.
"The captured hunter hunts your mind."
Profanity is the tool of the illiterate.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 18, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by Anubis IV:
I was always under the impression that a single user license could be used on any Macs under the same roof, as in, if a father purchases a copy of Panther (single license) and wants to install it on the kiddies' computer he could do that. Is that idea mistaken? Obviously that wouldn't apply to the corporate world, but what of families and the like? I could have sworn I saw that in the Apple user agreement documentation.
You are mistaken. 1 copy of Mac OS X = 1 Mac, unless you purchase the family pack and then you could install it on your kiddie's Mac.

But everyone here is legit, right? I was under the impression that only peecee users steal software.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2004, 12:52 PM

Until the lost revenue outweighs the advantages of having as many Macs as possible run the most current software. My guess, Never.

As I've said millions of times, if Apple really cared about pirateing the OS, they would do something about it as they do for FCP, ARD, etc, etc. As it is now, it is IMPOSSIBLE for Apple to enforce thier OS license.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2004, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:

hope this helps...
Yup- you win the gold star for the day. This wsa the problem, and now I feel dumb cuz it was a simple solution. Now if only I could figure out how to share internet:/

As far as the people who are bothered by the act that I have Panther installed on two computers, it is a long story, but to make things simple- I am getting rid of my old computer, and taking all of my old stuff from it. When I give it away I am going to clean install Jaguar on it, and give my Jaguar CD away as well. I will keep the Panther for mself, along with the 2nd compter which I installed it on.

My website

OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2004, 11:12 PM

> OSX does not do this. Apple doesn't even use a simple serial number scheme, so it has
> no way of uniquely identifying installs. Without that ability, it is technologically
> impossible for Apple to do what you claim.

sorry but i think several posters have missed this entirely: click to 'About This Mac' in the Apple Menu, then click not once but twice on the grey text denoting the version number. A serial number most clearly appears. (though as far as I can tell, Apple at present doesn't seem to be using this information/capacity for any present purpose)

ox

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by OmniX:
> OSX does not do this. Apple doesn't even use a simple serial number scheme, so it has
> no way of uniquely identifying installs. Without that ability, it is technologically
> impossible for Apple to do what you claim.

sorry but i think several posters have missed this entirely: click to 'About This Mac' in the Apple Menu, then click not once but twice on the grey text denoting the version number. A serial number most clearly appears. (though as far as I can tell, Apple at present doesn't seem to be using this information/capacity for any present purpose)

ox
Sorry but you are mistaken. That serial number is the one for your Mac, not OS X.

OmniX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2004, 11:23 PM

msuper69 - i stand (sit) corrected. thanks for the info,
ox

hayesk
Dec 21, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:

hope this helps...
AppleTalk should not be used unless at least one of the Macs has no IP connectivity. AFP over TCP/IP is the preferred way if every machine has IP connectivity.

Edit: I see it worked for him. I would guess his problem was IP configuration on one of his Macs (or he never had an IP connection for one of the Macs to begin with.)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Sorry but you are mistaken. That serial number is the one for your Mac, not OS X.
That's right; the serial number you see is for the Mac itself, not the OS installation. Apple normally uses this information in its diagnostic tools, but evidently someone thought it would be neat to let the user see it in the About This Mac dialog too.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

The Milkman
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
... If you want to be an upstanding citizen, buy the family pack, which is a license for 5 installs.
You'd think! When Panther came out I went to my local reseller and asked for the family pack (my conscience finally got the better of me). He said they didn't sell those and told me I could use the single license to install on all my machines, no questions asked.
Sure his approval doesn't put me in the clear but what was I to do?
So now I'm still running 4 Macs with an illegal install of Panther. (Edit: technically, only 3 are illegal )
And my conscience is surely causing a stomach ulcer by now!
( Last edited by The Milkman; Dec 21, 2004 at 04:45 PM. )
Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.
Oscar Wilde

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2004, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by romeosc:
I agree Apple might quietly start by checking mac addresses when software update is run!
I can't resist the turnaround for once: dude, it's MAC, not mac!

Miniryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
AppleTalk should not be used unless at least one of the Macs has no IP connectivity. AFP over TCP/IP is the preferred way if every machine has IP connectivity.

Edit: I see it worked for him. I would guess his problem was IP configuration on one of his Macs (or he never had an IP connection for one of the Macs to begin with.)
It probably was the IP connection. One of the computers was connected to the internet via Airport- the other was still configured for the ethernet network I use at school (both of which were set to automatic configuration).

My website

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2004, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
It probably was the IP connection. One of the computers was connected to the internet via Airport- the other was still configured for the ethernet network I use at school (both of which were set to automatic configuration).

either way, i'm not giving my gold star back...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2004, 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Hate to be once to say this, but: Dude, you seem to have understood what he meant. Don't you think others might have aswell ?

And yes, I just came to this thread to say that

Have a nice day
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 22, 2004, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by Mithras:
Dude, it's Mac, not MAC!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2004, 11:02 AM

Hey, mack, how do I find the Mac addresses on my MAC's?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules