Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > George Soros: War Profiteer Buys Haliburton

George Soros: War Profiteer Buys Haliburton
Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 07:20 PM

First the hypocrisy of Al Gore. Now the founder of MoveOn.org invests buys 2 million shares of Halliburton.
He's a lot smarter than I thought.

George Soros Buys Halliburton Stock - The New Editor
( Last edited by Orion27; Mar 15, 2007 at 08:08 PM. )

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2007, 07:58 PM

Somebody doesn't know how to spell Halliburton.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Somebody doesn't know how to spell Halliburton.
O.K. Fixed

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 08:15 PM

No confirmation yet on a reputable news source. Was he coerced into buying by the Deerfield, IL, school board?

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
No confirmation yet on a reputable news source. Was he coerced into buying by the Deerfield, IL, school board?
http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...c=66&type=qcna

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2007, 08:27 PM

Good for him. Now why don't you explain how this makes him a hypocrite.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 12:16 AM

Soros didn't found MoveOn.org. It was created by computer entrepreneurs Joan Blades and Wes Boyd, the married cofounders of Berkeley Systems (makers of the original flying toaster screen saver).

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Soros didn't found MoveOn.org. It was created by computer entrepreneurs Joan Blades and Wes Boyd, the married cofounders of Berkeley Systems (makers of the original flying toaster screen saver).
Shhh. Don't bring facts into this.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Yes your right. Soros was just a major source of funding.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 08:08 AM

My God.

So a "major source of funding" for an enterprise invests in a different enterprise shortly after that enterprise has announced it will screw over the American taxpayer for all the taxes it would have paid on no-bid gov't contracts by moving overseas, thus massively increasing its profits, and this is somehow "hypocrisy"?

Shouldn't the title be "Finance investor buys shares of War Profiteer?"

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 16, 2007, 08:42 AM

Can you own a shares in a "war profiteer" company and not be one yourself?

I don't think so.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
My God.

So a "major source of funding" for an enterprise invests in a different enterprise shortly after that enterprise has announced it will screw over the American taxpayer for all the taxes it would have paid on no-bid gov't contracts by moving overseas, thus massively increasing its profits, and this is somehow "hypocrisy"?

Shouldn't the title be "Finance investor buys shares of War Profiteer?"
It's well known that George Soros and company's major morivation had been the defeat of George Bush in 2004 and along with MoveOn.org, a 501c which promotes
liberal causes, MoveOn.org PAC, and MoveOn.org Voter Fund a 527. All supported by Soros by contributing millions in "soft" money to these campaigns.
http://www.capitalresearch.org/pubs/pdf/03_04_FW.pdf

It is also well known that MoveOn has been critical of Halliburton and Dick Cheney's link to the company. It's Ironic Soros is now and invester in Halliburton, cashing in on the "no bid" contracts MoveOn was so hysterical about in the past.

The hypocrisy is clear, the irony clearer, and now I'll sit back and listen to you defend Soros while keeping him at a 10ft pole length away. The stink is overwhelming.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
It's well known that George Soros and company's major morivation had been the defeat of George Bush in 2004
If that is so, then this is indeed ironic. I'm not aware of his personal agenda.

Although there is another subtle layer of irony in the fact that you are criticising him for being a capitalist and investing where he can make the most money.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 09:46 AM

If that is so, then this is indeed ironic. I'm not aware of his personal agenda.

Although there is another subtle layer of irony in the fact that you are criticising him for being a capitalist and investing where he can make the most money.
In no way am I criticizing him being a capitalist. How did you infer that? The point being, the Democrats have sought to discredit Vice President Dick Cheney for his past relationship with Halliburton. He was a former CEO of the company. Cheney/Halliburton are synonomous with the Great Satan according to MoveOn and the Democrats. Business is business, hypocrisy is what it is.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2007, 09:50 AM

My impression is that he really is investing like a stereotypical liberal: following the latest trend just in time for the trend to change. Do you all really think Haliburton will be this insanely profitable going forward? All the money had been made already. Especially when Hillary withdraws all the troops in Febuary of 2009.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2007, 09:53 AM

Orion27:

There is a pretty big difference between a GOVERNMENT having extremely close ties to a company that somehow manages to secure BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in completely overpriced NO-BID contracts, and a private investor buying shares of such a company because it is obviously very capable of using its government ties to make obscene amounts of money.

The latter is morally questionable.

The former is a huge scandal (or rather, would be in any democracy).

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 09:57 AM

Orion27:

There is a pretty big difference between a GOVERNMENT having extremely close ties to a company that somehow manages to secure BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in completely overpriced NO-BID contracts, and a private investor buying shares of such a company because it is obviously very capable of using its government ties to make obscene amounts of money.

"You go to war with the army you have" to quote a phrase. Halliburton is the only company in world which could get supplies ( oil ) into the war zone in a timely manner.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 16, 2007, 10:03 AM

Orion27:

He was raking them over the coals for being a "War Profiteer"

Again, you can't own stock in this company and also not be one.

He's a hypocrite.

Another one of the "Do what I say, not what I do" Like Gore.

Orion27  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
My impression is that he really is investing like a stereotypical liberal: following the latest trend just in time for the trend to change. Do you all really think Haliburton will be this insanely profitable going forward? All the money had been made already. Especially when Hillary withdraws all the troops in Febuary of 2009.
Sorry to disabuse you of that notion. Hillary, in a recent interview with the New York Times said she would keep soldiers in Iraq to watch for ethnnic cleansing. Say What!!

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2007, 12:00 PM

Too damn funny!

So perhaps Soros helps whip up his lefty stooges in a frenzy of hatred against Halliburton to drive the stock price down, so he could pick up tons of it and make an even bigger profit!

I don't know what's funnier- that, or people that have been screaming bloody murder about Halliburton for years now defending Soros and feining, "Halliburton? Whaaa? Halli-who? What's the big deal? Not like we've been whining about it for years about it or anything...!"

Oh wait, let me guess- he's buying it as a Hypocrisy Offset!

Forum Links
Forum Rules