Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Find Replace special character files

Find Replace special character files
platan0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2008, 01:46 PM

Here's my dilemma,

My company recently purchased a LaCie Ethernet Raid storage device for backup purposes and i'm trying to copy our files to it. When I go to copy a large folder, the copy process errors out because there's a file that has a special character in it. The LaCie drive cannot be formatted in a way to allow for such files to exist so I must find a solution on the os x end.

Is there a program that can do any of the following:

A - skip error files while copying to a remote disk
B - search and rename all files in a specific location that include any/all special characters (!@#$% etc...)

Here's why we are using a LaCie drive as opposed to a real server. We don't have the space and cooling to place a server. We need a simple solution to provide redundacy and capacity to share and backup our files. If anyone knows of another solution than the one i'm using that will work please post it up.

Thanks

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2008, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by platan0 View Post
Is there a program that can do any of the following:

A - skip error files while copying to a remote disk
B - search and rename all files in a specific location that include any/all special characters (!@#$% etc...)
For part A, either ditto or rsync (or any backup app worth its salt) will fill the bill.
Part B, idunno anything, but it would be a shell script or an app
(i.e., not any single UNIX command that i know of).
-HI-

Forum Links
Forum Rules