Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just finished installing Panther, LOVE IT!!!!!

Just finished installing Panther, LOVE IT!!!!!
Thread Tools
nobitacu
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 05:02 PM
 
Hello,

I just finished install it from a clean install. I LOVE IT!!! Everything works perfectly! with no problems what so far, my network works right away without having me do anything. I'm using wireless in my house. I love it, everything is so much faster! WOW! This is the first time I've tried Panther, and I'm loving every second of it. Everything is so smooth!!!!

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD
     
infowarrior
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 05:04 PM
 
i gather you're happy.

as will i be shortly when i do the install.

what kind of powerbook do you have?
     
Greasyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 05:12 PM
 
My xbench numbers went down significant - from 96 to 78, on a Rev B 12 inch PB. The only thing that increased is the User Interface, which may be why everything "seems" faster.
     
coolmacdude
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Atlanta
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 06:30 PM
 
Originally posted by Greasyboy:
My xbench numbers went down significant - from 96 to 78, on a Rev B 12 inch PB. The only thing that increased is the User Interface, which may be why everything "seems" faster.
Who gives a damn about benchmarks if you can get things done faster?
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB
     
icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Illinois
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 06:34 PM
 
Originally posted by Greasyboy:
My xbench numbers went down significant - from 96 to 78, on a Rev B 12 inch PB. The only thing that increased is the User Interface, which may be why everything "seems" faster.
Isn't it likely that this is because Xbench isn't optimized (or whatever) for Panther?

Anyway, I just installed it too, and I'm pretty impressed so far, although some of the graphical changes will take some getting used to.
     
spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 06:52 PM
 
i've had the betas all summer long, and by now i can tell you 10.2 is ugly and slow... :-/

been loving panther since may.

now im on 7B85
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |
     
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 08:21 PM
 
Yeah, I don't know. . . mine version seems kinda slow too. . .
     
pgolf
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 09:52 PM
 
mine increased from 103 to 116; 1.25ghz 15"
     
spiderbyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Oct 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 10:06 PM
 
12 inch rev B powerbook with additional 512 RAM stick: Panther appears to slightly, yet noticeably, slower that Jaguar. It's just not opening things as snappy as was the previous version.

//// \\\\ spiderbyte
     
nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 10:14 PM
 
Weird... I wonder why it is doing that to the 12 inch Powerbooks... Maybe Apple will release a update to fix those problems... Panther is working faster and really well with my 17inch powerbook.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD
     
spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Clearwater, Fl USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 10:45 PM
 
once again...
i will ask
why do you mean by a "clean install?"

please help this old man and his rev. b powerbook 17"

i need to do this right
i have tons of photos and mp3's, etc... that i do NOT want to lose

thanks


greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination
     
nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 11:04 PM
 
Originally posted by spalding12:
once again...
i will ask
why do you mean by a "clean install?"

please help this old man and his rev. b powerbook 17"

i need to do this right
i have tons of photos and mp3's, etc... that i do NOT want to lose

thanks


greg
Clean Install means formatting your whole hard drive, as in deleting everything on your hard drive and start from fresh. You will have the option to pick this when you are installing Panther.

To do a clean install, you would have to first backup all the files you need. If you have DVDs to burn, than I would say burn your whole iTunes folder onto it, that will back everything up, even the playlist. Just hope it all fits on it. You can command-click on the iTunes folder to see how large the file is. Once you got Panther installed, just drag the iTunes folder from your DVD and replace the iTunes folder on Panther.

Photos would also be pretty much the same, just back it all up on a cd or DVD.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD
     
Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Feb 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 11:10 PM
 
Panther seems to be much better than Jag, from my initial usage. Without a doubt the best feature of the whole thing is Expose. You have to use it to see just how great it is. Words can't do it justice. But here are some other observations...

1. Fonts like Helvetica and the system font seem to be narrower than before. I don't know if this is correct or not. I don't know yet whether I'm annoyed by it.
2. New sidebar is nifty; awkward at first because I look at it quickly and think I'm in iTunes. I don't know whether this is a drawback in user interface design, or not.
3. There seems to be a lot of beach ball activity on the network pane of the Finder. I suppose it's because I'm rummaging though a hard drive of another computer over Airport. I wish this type of activity was better mapped.
4. The Activity Monitor app is great.
5. The System Preferences app closes automatically when you click the close window widget. This is new behavior from Jaguar.
6. FontBook is super -- I added fonts to my system over the network from my other computer through this application.
7. Pages in Safari seem to load a smidgen quicker than before. It doesn't still support the website cross fading images.
8. Applications don't seem to launch any faster than before, although when you double click on them, they perform this animation of the icon flying at you.
9. Selecting more than one file and moving it must have changed a little bit. I cannot describe it. When I was trying to move about 200 files I backed up on a DVD, I somehow clicked and opened them all -- at once -- from just about every program imaginable all at once (Text Edit, Photoshop, Word, Excel, Quicktime movies, photos, etc). I couldn't stop it! But through all that I never crashed or saw one beach ball appear. As a matter of fact, since the thing was reading off a DVD (slower) ...I just clicked on Safari in my dock and surfed the net while it finished opening all the files. Once it was done, I just quit all the apps and closed the files and was able to move them where I wanted.
10. Lastly, the CDs Apple sent me were upgrade disks (Mac OS Up-to-date Program). I read this means you have to have an install of 10.2 on the drive before you can upgrade to 10.3. I don't know whether this is the case, however, I was able to do an erase and install, which is what I did, so I'm working from a virginized HD.

That's about it for now...DH
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz
     
Tomster
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 24, 2003, 11:59 PM
 
Originally posted by spalding12:
why do you mean by a "clean install?"
My definition of a clean install is a fresh installation of all of the system files, libraries, and applications included in a standard install. There are two (and a half) ways to do this. Archive and install (with or without preserving users - I always preserve the users) and erase and install. In both cases, every single file needed in the operating system is freshly installed. In both cases, you get a virgin system only.

A not so clean install is an upgrade (first option in the installation). In that case, you get a virgin system installed over your old system. You might get some junk left over from earlier systems as those files are not erased. No need to do a complete erasure unless you suspect serious corruption throughout the disk.


Happily using a Mac since '89 - MacSE 1meg/20meg - System 6.0.4
     
bfurtado
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2003, 12:14 AM
 
Originally posted by Dave Hagan:
Panther seems to be much better than Jag, from my initial usage. Without a doubt the best feature of the whole thing is Expose. You have to use it to see just how great it is. Words can't do it justice. But here are some other observations...

1. Fonts like Helvetica and the system font seem to be narrower than before. I don't know if this is correct or not. I don't know yet whether I'm annoyed by it.
2. New sidebar is nifty; awkward at first because I look at it quickly and think I'm in iTunes. I don't know whether this is a drawback in user interface design, or not.
3. There seems to be a lot of beach ball activity on the network pane of the Finder. I suppose it's because I'm rummaging though a hard drive of another computer over Airport. I wish this type of activity was better mapped.
4. The Activity Monitor app is great.
5. The System Preferences app closes automatically when you click the close window widget. This is new behavior from Jaguar.
6. FontBook is super -- I added fonts to my system over the network from my other computer through this application.
7. Pages in Safari seem to load a smidgen quicker than before. It doesn't still support the website cross fading images.
8. Applications don't seem to launch any faster than before, although when you double click on them, they perform this animation of the icon flying at you.
9. Selecting more than one file and moving it must have changed a little bit. I cannot describe it. When I was trying to move about 200 files I backed up on a DVD, I somehow clicked and opened them all -- at once -- from just about every program imaginable all at once (Text Edit, Photoshop, Word, Excel, Quicktime movies, photos, etc). I couldn't stop it! But through all that I never crashed or saw one beach ball appear. As a matter of fact, since the thing was reading off a DVD (slower) ...I just clicked on Safari in my dock and surfed the net while it finished opening all the files. Once it was done, I just quit all the apps and closed the files and was able to move them where I wanted.
10. Lastly, the CDs Apple sent me were upgrade disks (Mac OS Up-to-date Program). I read this means you have to have an install of 10.2 on the drive before you can upgrade to 10.3. I don't know whether this is the case, however, I was able to do an erase and install, which is what I did, so I'm working from a virginized HD.

That's about it for now...DH
I ordered the upgrade disc as well. I know that the full install version offers the option to format and install on a clean drive. Are you saying that the upgrade gave you this option as well? If so, then that's perfect!
     
s0litude
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2003, 01:18 AM
 
I'm gonna start mine right now! I'm so excited. Archive and Install baby!
Hi!
     
ledmirage
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tokyo Japan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2003, 01:30 AM
 
OMG!!!!!!!
Expose & fast user switching rocks!!
I love the new finder too!!
And the packaging is so evil, I love it!!
I'm super happy with Panther.
     
s0litude
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2003, 02:36 AM
 
WWWEEEEEEEEEE!!
No problems whatsover and it looks damn cool. I like how it organizes folders now. I'm installing xcode as we speak. Wow. It just looks better, faster too.
Hi!
     
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2003, 03:20 AM
 
Panther is great! The finder feels much faster. Heck everything is faster with the exception of iTunes visuals. In Jaguar my Ti800 would get on average 60 fps with the Large and full screen options selected. Now I'm lucky to get 40 fps. The frame rates will drop below 10 if I have an app running in the background.

One more thing, what happened to Key Caps? 15 mins into using Panther and I'm already missing that little gem.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!
     
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2003, 03:38 AM
 
You know what? Surprisingly I like the new Finder a lot w/ Brush Metal and all .

I like dragging things into the Sidebar.
     
Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Oct 25, 2003, 04:42 AM
 
Originally posted by Stogieman:
One more thing, what happened to Key Caps? 15 mins into using Panther and I'm already missing that little gem.
Look here for Key Caps.
<This space under renovation>
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,