Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Gap (Case Warping)

12" Gap (Case Warping)
bfurtado
Nov 26, 2003, 02:19 PM

I posted a topic a month ago about how there was a separation beginning to show between the bottom chasis and the top trim by the latch button. I finally got a digital camera and posted a pic at Spymac. If anyone is interested in seeing it and if anyone else has had this problem, check it out here:

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_p...hp?picid=73847
( Last edited by bfurtado; Jan 20, 2004 at 02:25 AM. )

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by bfurtado:
I posted a topic a month ago about how there was a separation beginning to show between the bottom chasis and the top trim by the latch button. I finally got a digital camera and posted a pic at Spymac. If anyone is interested in seeing it and if anyone else has had this problem, check it out here:

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showph...t=2&thecat=998
This is pretty much on every single 12" PB I've seen, just in slight variations, mine has those gaps to the left and right of the latch, some only have it on one side. Anyways, since September, the gaps have not gotten any worse and they are firm to begin with so I don't worry about them.

facingamoment
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 09:55 PM

I have the same seperation on my 15" AlBook, cept on the front of the right corner. My screen is also warped; the gap has become uneven, with one side almost touching and the other side having a quarter-inch gap because the screen itself is bent. Going to take it by the apple store here in the next couple weeks. Waaaaaaaay too new, pampered, and expensive a machine . . . . (still love it, though)

gauchogirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 10:27 PM

I also have the same warping on my rev A 12" it almost came out of the box that way.. to my knowledge it doesn't hurt anything, and I've been told that this warping is within the acceptable range so apple will not fix it free of charge... I wouldn't worry about it...

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2003, 11:47 PM

THAT is NOT normal at ALL.

I have a 12" PowerBook and so does my cousin and neither of ours looks like that. There NO gaps or warping anywhere - just smooth clean even edges. I personally would have sent that back to Apple for a replacement and if Apple were to tell me that 'it's normal', I'd have a customer relations supervisor on the line immediately. That is no where near normal and something clearly went wrong during the building process.

The only '12" PowerBook Gap issue' I've ever known to be common and normal was the gap between the lid and the bottom of the chassis when it's closed (like most latched notebooks), not the actual case bending and warping.

Apple employs people to try and persuade customers to 'live with it' when they notice problems such as these, so why do you let them succeed? Joe Schmo in tech support is NOT the decision making Apple employee with the last word. Call back and demand either a replacement or for AppleCare to fix it under 100% coverage.

Most people out there have perfect PowerBooks, was their money better than yours? Didn't you all pay the same price as everyone else? Aren't you entitled to the same quality and service as everyone else?

I hate to sound like the Norma Rae of ManNN, but I hate when companies try to take advantage of it's customers and Apple is definitely one of them (in my experience) but I've always MADE them do the right thing.

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2003, 01:06 AM

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showph...t=2&thecat=998
I just got my 12" PB yesterday and have almost the same thing as yours, except that the gap in the rubber/plastic thingy is on the left of the latch.

What I did was use a screwdriver and gently press it so that it will be more even with the bottom of the case. Till today, the gap is much less, but there is still some if one is to look for it.

I don't think this is a problem of case warp, but rather that the rubber does not fit the case exactly. However, the problem is rather small, and since I have no issue with dead pixel or rocking base, it doesn't bother me.

bamchum
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2003, 06:21 AM

My 15" Alu didn't have such warping until . . .

it was sent back from Apple in Amsterdam after an unrelated repair. So-called "AppleCare" did this.

Now there's a big gap all along the front between the bottom case and the plastic bezel.

I have sent the machine back to AppleCare (this is now the third time). Maybe this time they can get it right.

I have to say, this is the worst lemon I've ever gotten from Apple: white spots, warped lid, horrible airport reception (worse than my TiBook), sticky keys and now this gap.

If it doesn't come back perfect this time, I'm going to scream bloody murder (and insist on a new machine).

aribus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 01:56 AM

Is this still an issue with the rev. b pbook 12"?

thedusk99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2003, 02:39 AM

I had the exact same thing happen, it's uncanny how similar yours looks to the way mine did! Anyway, I'd owned the laptop 3 days when this appeared out of nowhere. It was a rev. B and ran hot (don't think they fully addressed the heat issue from rev A). I took it back to Compusa where the guy said he'd seen the same thing before so I traded up for a 15... much cooler, obviously better heat dissipation due to greater surface area. No warping, fan rarely runs. Worth 400 more for the quiet, speed, less eyestrain and last but not least no warping (knock on wood). How previous posters could live with it after spending 1600 I just don't understand. LOOK at the picture and if yours looks anything like that IT IS NOT NORMAL, contact Apple. I can assure you they didn't design the wristrest to look like a wave.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by bamchum:
My 15" Alu didn't have such warping until . . .

it was sent back from Apple in Amsterdam after an unrelated repair. So-called "AppleCare" did this.

Now there's a big gap all along the front between the bottom case and the plastic bezel.

I have sent the machine back to AppleCare (this is now the third time). Maybe this time they can get it right.

I have to say, this is the worst lemon I've ever gotten from Apple: white spots, warped lid, horrible airport reception (worse than my TiBook), sticky keys and now this gap.

If it doesn't come back perfect this time, I'm going to scream bloody murder (and insist on a new machine).
Mine just came back from AppleCare Amsterdam. The new screen is a beauty but they scratch the screen case in two spot to the raw aluminum and I have have a trim gap on the right side of the screen. Back it goes for a screen shell replace (which worries me) and to have the trim seated properly. For the premium I paid I want it to be flawless. I tried to push it in but it doesn't budge. I could live with the small scratches but this gap is big enough to let dirt and filthy particle in.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 8, 2003, 11:09 AM

Mine has the "wave" as well but it is so small I don't really mind. I would have not noticed it if I had not read this forum
S k y p a t

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2003, 11:40 AM

I have a brand new 12" PB and there is also a very slight discrepancy in the fit of the rubber trim, in a small area to the right of the trackpad.

bfurtado  (op)
Jan 20, 2004, 02:15 AM

So I FINALLY got it to an authorized Apple repair center. Its two hours away and I needed the thing for school and finals (all my notes were on it and portable). I brought it in and said I had an Apple case number. The person told me that Apple would not fix something like that and it was pointless. He said that was to be expected from the 12". He said if it was wider or got worse to bring it back in but he kind of laughed and made me feel stupid and paranoid. A few weeks ago I e-mailed pics to him and told him that it was abnormal and other Mac users have had their's replaced. Should I just demand a new unit from Apple or what? Its been a 3 1/2 months

BTW: I changed the Pic link on my original post.

BRian
( Last edited by bfurtado; Jan 20, 2004 at 02:25 AM. )

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 02:34 AM

So I FINALLY got it to an authorized Apple repair center. Its two hours away and I needed the thing for school and finals (all my notes were on it and portable). I brought it in and said I had an Apple case number. The person told me that Apple would not fix something like that and it was pointless. He said that was to be expected from the 12". He said if it was wider or got worse to bring it back in but he kind of laughed and made me feel stupid and paranoid. A few weeks ago I e-mailed pics to him and told him that it was abnormal and other Mac users have had their's replaced. Should I just demand a new unit from Apple or what? Its been a 3 1/2 months

BTW: I changed the Pic link on my original post.

BRian
if you get a new PB for that... man you must be one smooth speaker...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2004, 10:58 AM

My rev b 12" has no such warping or wave at all.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 01:57 PM

I'm also starting to see the separation on the right side. It's not major and not very noticable if you don't look for it. I also do have a warp on the left side hinge that is somewhat noticeable but to me not a big deal as of yet. I was told if it is in spec they might not do anything about it. I'm not going to worry about unless it gets worse.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules