Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > recommendations for a good portable mouse

recommendations for a good portable mouse
aribus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2003, 03:54 AM

I've been looking for a high quality, good looking, reliable, and compact mouse to use while i'm away from home. So far, i've looked at the Logitech Mouseman Traveller, the Macally Icemouse jr, and the Microsoft Notebook Optical mouse. Out of the three, I think the Logitech mouse looks the best, but it seems that the Microsoft mouse has been getting good reviews. I have the Macally Icekey keyboard and I'm very happy with it, so I wanted to keep them in mind with the Icemouse. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with these mice? If so, what do you recommend? Thanks!

Links for pics
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?pa...9&languageid=1

http://www.macally.com/spec/usb/inpu...cemousejr.html

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=007

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Dec 13, 2003, 06:02 AM

I've had nothing but Logitech mice for a few years now, and I find them to be much more sturdy than anything else I've had in the past. For travelling, repeated packing and unpacking, getting kicked around and dropped from time to time, etc., I'd go for a Logitech mouse for this reason alone - they are generally very solidly built. Will freely admit that I've never actually seen the Macally.

-Q-
Dec 13, 2003, 08:50 AM

I'm a big fan of the Kensington PocketMouse Pro. It's a good size, uses optical tracking, and has a great retractable cord to make packing very easy. Been using one for about a year now and it's been very reliable and sturdy.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
I'm a big fan of the Kensington PocketMouse Pro. It's a good size, uses optical tracking, and has a great retractable cord to make packing very easy. Been using one for about a year now and it's been very reliable and sturdy.
Have one for my iBook and love it.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2003, 05:30 PM

I'm a big fan of the Microsoft. I don't own the others to compare, but the MS mouse has a very nice sturdy feel for such a small and light mouse. I even used it for a little while on my desktop (admittedly I have really small hands). The one weird thing about it is it doesn't work with the advanced Intellipoint software.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2003, 05:37 PM

another vote for the Microsoft mouse. I really like how it feels in my hand. I own the logitech and no longer use it because I never liked the feel of metal, the scroll wheel is a little too narrow, and the sharp edges on the sides made it uncomfortable to hold. I just wish the Microsoft mouse came in either all black or black w/ silver.

ryju
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2003, 06:24 PM

I have the Traveller, well worth the 25 I paid for it.

aribus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 12:02 AM

After doing a bit of research online, I found the following article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,633419,00.asp

In it, the Microsoft mouse got perfect scores The logitech mouse scored high, but not as high as the MS mouse. I think it's going to be between those two. I like the fact that the MS mouse lights up the sides and scroll wheel. In the dark, it will be easy to orient myself when using the mouse. But, man, that logitch sure looks beautiful. I think I'm getting closer to a decision.

Forum Links
Forum Rules