Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PBs and Thinkpads?

PBs and Thinkpads?
yoesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 12:12 PM

anybody here have both a Powerbook and Thinkpad?

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by yoesh:
anybody here have both a Powerbook and Thinkpad?
Hah, crazy combo, although the Thinkpads are truly the best quality of PC notebooks on the market hands down, the idea of having a Powerbook and a Thinkpad together is a combination of beauty and the beast. Sorry for the pun.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 02:30 PM

Quote:"anybody here have both a Powerbook and Thinkpad?"

I think it would help a lot if youd mention your question.

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

rsgunther
Mar 21, 2004, 03:27 PM

I have a thinkpad T40 that is an office machine (paid for by my company) that I take between home & office. My wife & I use a Powerbook 15" 1.25 Superdrive for our home machine.

I truly love the Powerbook, but the thinkpad is a GREAT windows machine. In my opinion the best windows laptop hands down. Great quality / design. Reminds me a lot of a PISMO machine. I enjoy using it, wish it had OSX, but runs pretty good on XP.. fairly stable with only minor glitches.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2004, 07:27 PM

i have a thinkpad from work. I think its one of the better PC laptops out there, if not the best. And i have a 1.25 AL for home and home business use.
Hi!

yoesh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 11:06 PM

quote:
>I think it would help a lot if youd mention your question.

>> "anybody here have both a Powerbook and Thinkpad?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

are there *other* questions? sure -- a myriad of ones come to mind: which is better? if you were stranded on an island....? which has the better keyboard? etc....

however, i was deliberately leaving it open ended to see what those who had both would write. i think that there are probably many folks here who have a foot planted in both PC and Mac camps (by choice or by force) and I think the comparison of the devoted Powerbook enthusiast with the Thinkpad enthusiast is an interesting one.

masugu
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 12:16 AM

I have a ThinkPad X31 issued by my company...a subnote with a 1.4GHz Pentium M processer with Intel Centrino mobile technology, 35Gig HD.

I also have a 1GHZ Ti/SD/PB at home for personal use. You all know this machine, so I will comment mostly on the ThinkPad.

I must also agree that the Thinkpad is one of the best PC laptops made. The X31 has no attached CD drive.

Pros:
- Excellent keyboard feel...a bit more responsive / firmer than the PB
- Never gets noticeably hot
- Fairly rugged / tough skin
- Great / bright 12" screen
- Light, light, light
- Great battery life & wireless

Cons:
- Runs Windows
- Has the "nipple" mouse - good if you like 'em, I don't mind- they have made the nipple bigger / flatter and stopped using the rev with a scratchy sponge material
- Crummy port replicator. I am using the one from my ThinkPad T-30
- Design is functional & smart, but lacks the PowerBook sexiness.

Comments / agree / disagree???

thomaso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 03:17 PM

I've got the A31 TP and I love it for running Linux. I removed XP from it months ago.

I'm about to have a 17 inch powerbook. I'm looking forward to it.

My only problem with moving to the powerbook? TRACKPOINT! I will miss it. I *hate* trackpads but I guess it's just something I'll have to get over in order to run OS X on a mobile platform.

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 03:45 PM

I have both a thinkpad T30 dell 8600 and a mac t15 and a17. As an early apple mac adopter- 1978 apple 11 I have flipped back and forth and also worked concurrently with both mac and PC's. My most recent experience is migrating more and more back to the mac side. The problem of viruses has accelerated the movement. What I now find is the utility of Isync Ichat the easy networking of computers mac's and pc's the sharing of files and data through MS office make it easy to work back and forth. we live in Calgary and have family elswhere in the province and London England. We use Ichat to talk. Currently we are in Hawaii and stay in contact with IChat. Although I have cable when I am away I need to use a diferent mail server and .mac does the job. I have previously kept all my mail on the dell/thinkpad. Now it is being forwarded to the A17 via .mac. In Hawaii I have both the Dell and the A17 but increasingly use the mac to read the news do mail and stay plugged in. Still some missing's I listen to hockey via the dell and the NHL radio feed which I couldn't get to work on the mac. It is getting easier to work in both fields concurrently and then use the computer of choice. My choice is increasingly the A17. But isn't it great to see what one can do with music ipod cameras video and all integrated into the home entertainment field. Its getting better and better. Harry

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 04:16 PM

As I was reflecting on my response a couple of historical facts came to mind. I guess everyone knows that the way microsoft and Gates got their launch was as a result of Combines investigation prevented IBM from writing software and operating systems which caused IBM to seek out mincrsoft and MS dos for their PC's. The rest is history. Before that time Microsoft /gates created a pc card (about1980) for the Apple 11 that ran a version of dos. By plugging the card into my apple 11 I could run the computer as an apple 11 on its system or flip a switch and run the computer on a Dos operating system. It was a rather creative advance at that time. So I guess that is how I started and continued to operate in both domains. Harry

St.John
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Harry Schaefer:
and London England.
As opposed to London, Brazil?

Dr.Michael
Mar 22, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by yoesh:
quote:
"anybody here have both a Powerbook and Thinkpad?"
I have a Thinkpad T40 running Suse Linux and Windows XP and a Powerbook 12 inch/1GHz.

To make my answer as short as your question: The thinkpad is one of the best buys you can make if you don't want a Mac.

perbl
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2004, 05:10 PM

Yep, if I had all the money for a Thinkpad, I think I would have bought a top-line thinkpad and run linux on it instead, but since I could not afford that I ended up with a 12" powerbook instead. But I still think that the Thinkpad has a little better build-quality than the powerbook, since there seems to be quite alot of people complaining about various issues on the powerbook, glitches appearing, heat etc. But still, the powerbook is the most sexy machine there is

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2004, 10:15 PM

I have a Thinpad A20p and a new 17" Powerbook. The Thinkpad though about 4 years old is a work horse, I haven't had a single problem with it. I have since updated the OS from W98 to XP Pro and incresed the ram to 384mg's and you know what, even with that small amount of ram you'd surprised what I can do on this machine.
The Powerbook, what can I say it's elegance all the way. Much more stylish than the Thinkpad for sure but also I think more fragile.
I'd be afraid to put the Powerbook through what I've put this Thinkpad.

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 11:45 PM

As opposed to London Ontario Canada. regards harry

nick_coday
Mar 23, 2004, 01:41 AM

I have a T30 with 2.4Ghz Penitum-M running XP-Pro. Got lots of power!

I have a 15.2" 1.25Ghz Al Pb G4.

I love both of them, but thinking of selling the Thinkpad. I personally own both and find myself not using the t3o much lately.
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

KidKit
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2004, 03:33 AM

While I've never owned a thinkpad, I've used it variously on loan from one of my previous workplace. I do think that the IBM thinkpad is one of the most robustly made wintel notebooks. I would swear by it if wintel was the only choice.

I would say that I've no regrets bidding the wintel world goodbye for my new 12" PB. My only wintel notebook experience now is when I suffer my sister's toshiba subnote once in a while. she had a thinkpad too, but her firm refreshed their notebooks with toshibas - apparently higher support costs for the thinkpad vs toshiba. Dun ask me... that didn't make sense to me at all.

My only small gripe - I must say that the almost ubiquitous forcing of the touchpad upon endusers by notebook designers is something I still bemoan. I could touchtype and move my pointer around for editing seamlessly without ever shifting my wrist postion on the nipple. I'm competent on the touchpad now, and software like Alex Harper's Sidetrack makes the touchpad a truly wonderful tool, but I would love having the option of a nipple on a PB.

my $0.02 :-)

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 09:47 AM

Here's a pic of my Pbook side by side with my T40. I sold the T40, but sometimes I wish I hadn't. The Powerbook is great, but I'm only confortable using it on my desk, or in my lap at home. The Thinkpad was far more usable as a tool; I could crawl up behind the server racks, prop the T40 up on my knee, wedge it in a corner, and I never felt that I would break it. I have to be extremely careful about how I use the Powerbook. If I had to make an analogy, I would compare the Powerbook to a dress watch, and the Thinkpad to a divers watch. They both work and while one looks better, the other is rugged and usable just about anywhere. If only Apple would make an ultra thin, plastic Powerbook...

webb3201
Senior User
Mar 23, 2004, 11:22 PM

Thinkpad X31 and Powerbook 12". Both roughly the same size, with the Thinkpad a bit bulkier once you attach the media bay. I like both machines quite a bit, although I notice that the Thinkpad gets a bit laggy during the day. I run XP with 512mb of Ram.

k
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Dr.Michael
Mar 24, 2004, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
The Thinkpad was far more usable as a tool; I could crawl up behind the server racks, prop the T40 up on my knee, wedge it in a corner, and I never felt that I would break it. I have to be extremely careful about how I use the Powerbook... If only Apple would make an ultra thin, plastic Powerbook...
Thats exactly what I think.

If we read for example the "Tribute to Pismo" thread, it seems to be obvious: The move to metal cases was a nice marketing gag but after some years it came out that it was not very useful.

The macs look great but in every day use you need a little more ruggedness.

Did anybody see something as bad as a used two year old tibook?
I fear the alu books will be only slightly better.

Plastic cases are a little bit less appealing than metal when you buy, but they are still ok after years.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2004, 08:14 AM

would be great to see something in a black rubberised case, kind of like the old Pismo, but without any plastic.

maybe that it is a little fetishistic.
I have Mac

pgolf
Mar 24, 2004, 09:13 AM

Currently using a R40 Thinkpad for work and a 15" AlBook for home. For work I've used Thinkpad T, R and A series, never had the X series. IMO, the Thinkpad keyboard has a slight edge over the powerbook for speed typing and overall feedback. I also agree with the previous post - thinkpads are freakin rugged. I would never subject my powerbook to the same abuse i dish-out to the thinkpad. Too bad it looks mafugly next to the powerbook, and no OS X.

ThinkPad = Tough as Nails
PowerBook = Elegant Machinery

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2004, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Harry Schaefer:
As opposed to London Ontario Canada. regards harry
I really liked your posts Harry and enjoyed the history lessons. I also was an early adopter of Apple and while I have always had Macs most of my employers have been Wintel only shops. I think if I found a job where they use Macs only would be like dieing and going to heaven.......But, for the last 2 years I bring my powerbooks and just stick them on the Network and use my Mac. I only switch to my Win box to check and compose mail messages.....It sux (or "draws inward" as I have my kids saying now) - lately, I get junk messages somehow popping up while I am outlook. How the heck does that happen?

By the way, 2 weeks ago I was 20 miles north of............London, Kentucky! No lie.

Please keep sharing your experience. I see you have only just joined this bb.

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 03:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Podolsky:
[B]I really liked your posts Harry and enjoyed the history lessons. I also was an early adopter

By the way, 2 weeks ago I was 20 miles north of............London, Kentucky! No lie

Thanks for your very kind welcome. I too have been mainly using my Thinkpad for email. However while away from home it has been easier to forward all my normal mail to my @mac.com as this is the easiest way to reply. It has been great to be less worried about the viruses.
I have worked in two only mac environments that both needed to convert to a PC only environment. Now with the interconnectivity perhaps we Mac users have the best of both worlds. Choose the PC if and when we need to but use the computer of choice- the mac to do the real work. Best wishes Harry

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2004, 07:22 PM

my dad has a T30 (i'm typing on it right now), and it is a great laptop. his is a 1.8 ghz pIV, 512 mb or ram, 30 GB hd and cd-rw. the machine is fast, has a great keyboard (with a nifty light that almost makes up for not having the back lit keys that my powerbook has), and a great trackpad (i never use the trackpoint). the screen isn't as good as my powerbooks (he has failing eyesight, so he got the 1024x768 version), but it is good enough. i agree with everyone who has said that the thinkpads are rugged. the machine feels like a tank. if i was going to get a pc laptop, i would get a thinkpad.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2004, 02:28 AM

sold my t21 and used the money to put towards my 12 inch PB

i miss the t21 sometimes, but i like my powerbook too.
C2D Blackbook Week 44

Chulo
Mar 27, 2004, 03:49 PM

I used to use an older Thinkpad at work (I believe it was a 486) and it was extremely rugged. They then purchased a T40 which I used on occassion and I must say that it was light, fast, built like a tank and had an awesome keyboard. I no longer have access to it but this laptop was a complete pleasure to use and it's battery life was really impressive.
I think I'm the only Mac user in my office (and a new one at that) and most people think I'm insane having switched to Apple but I must say I have become increasing accustomed to my Powerbook (A15-SD)and have been increasingly "weening" off the need to use Windows. I still need to use Windows to run some specific software but I've realy come to love that PB and OS X. My PB is fast enough to run anything I want and the PB is light enough to carry on most trips (although it would be nice to have a longer lasting battery. I also think a 12" PB is more suited for heavy travelers).
Anyway, between the two, the T40 is definitely a workhorse and can be used anywhere with little fear of damage. If I had to purchase a Windows laptop it would have to be a Thinkpad! On the other hand, the PB is just sooooo sweet, beautiful and easy to use!! I just wish this weren't such a Windows centric world so I wouldn't have to choose between Windows at work and Mac at home. None-the-less, I'm very happy with my PB purchase and my kids are becoming more and more hooked on the PB at home eventhough they're used to using Windows at school. No regrets here.

macx0r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2004, 06:22 PM

I have a T40 that's being leased through my college (they force us to) and just bought a 12" powerbook anyways - I couldn't stand waiting to make the switch. I will second the feelings of "babying" the powerbook - but I am careful with the T40 too. I work for the school's computer resource center and have seen all of the horrible things people can do to these machines. The A22m I had previously however was definately a tank and I put it through the ringer.

When people ask me for laptop recommendations I obviously say powerbook first but if you absolutely dont' want to have an Apple (for whatever crazy reason) then you can't go wrong with the thinkpad.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 10:09 PM

I feel pretty much the same way about PowerBooks and ThinkPads. Clearly I prefer the Mac simply for the Mac OS. If you absolutely, positively, must use a pc laptop then the IBM ThinkPad is probably the best thing out there. And there's about a bazillion different models to choose from. My ThinkPad (from work) is an older M22 model with a PIII 850 MHz processor and WinXP Pro. It gets limited use, really only to print out stock charts from IBD.com (they rely on DirectX for graphics) and to get work-related email at home.

Forum Links
Forum Rules