Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Bluetooth Mouse for Powerbook 12"

Best Bluetooth Mouse for Powerbook 12" (Page 2)
Thread Tools
spatterson
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 29, 2004, 04:26 PM
 
Anyone have bad battery problems with M$ BT mouse? Mine lasts about a week. WTF... I don't understand... Should I send it to M$ and ask for a new one. I can't return it to CompUSA now....
     
crenzer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 29, 2004, 07:21 PM
 
Originally posted by iREZ:
Why is it that the Microsoft BT keyboard & mouse combo on Amazon gets such lousy reviews on their boards but everyone here seems to think that they're great. Im really wanting to purchase this if it is indeed compatible with my PB.
I noticed this, too, and I'd like to express my opinion about this discrepancy based on my reading of the Amazon comments. (NOTE: I don't have the MS BT keyboard & mouse myself).

It appears that many of the Amazon buyers were critical of the fact that the included Microsoft Bluetooth dongle isn't good for much other than the accompanying MS keyboard & mouse. In other words, they are trying to get BT capability for their computer and are disappointed when the dongle won't also work with their BT phone or whatever. This won't be a concern for you, since BT will be built into your PB. You'll just be tossing the dongle and using the keyboard & mouse.

The other common complaint on Amazon is that the accompanying software makes their computer act flaky. Well what do they expect? They are running Windows! Of COURSE it's going to suck.

The bottom line appears to be that the complaints on Amazon aren't going to apply to you.

Let us know if you buy one. I am going to get a PB once Apple gets around to updating them, and I am looking at buying the MS product since the combination price is good. Like others here, I won't buy the one-button (and no scroll wheel) mouse that Apple sells.

One other piece of advice. I am not a big fan of Logitech devices. I have the RF wireless mouse and keyboard for my iMac and they mostly work OK, but I don't like that Logitech rarely updates their Mac software. Last time I checked, there still was no Panther-compatible software, so I have to use USB Overdrive. The Logitech software was buggy even during the Jaguar days -- my mouse would periodically lose contact until I unplugged and replugged the USB RF device. Once I switched to USB Overdrive, this problem completely disappeared.
     
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ~/
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 29, 2004, 08:31 PM
 
I ordered the small Bluetake BT mouse today. We'll see how it goes. I bought it to use with my iBook when I'm on the road, so the small size was ideal. Eventually, I'll be replacing the iBook with a PB 12" (probably around July or at the next speed bump), and wanted to stick with bluetooth.

When the mouse arrives, I'll post a mini-review.
     
sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Atlanta
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2004, 02:58 AM
 
Originally posted by iREZ:
Why is it that the Microsoft BT keyboard & mouse combo on Amazon gets such lousy reviews on their boards but everyone here seems to think that they're great. Im really wanting to purchase this if it is indeed compatible with my PB.
As far as working well, I don't know regarding the BT key/mouse.

In general though, I have found M$ peripheral components to be pretty good. Their $20 optical mice have been great, a Sidewinder Joysick and some FF Wheel I got now for online racging. All are built very well and have worked well.

I only use the mice with the Macs though...
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)
     
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2004, 04:56 PM
 
Originally posted by crispinwilliams:
I have just bought a BLUETAKE bt500 mouse.. this works without problem out of the box. it has 3 buttons (left - right - centre is coupled to scroll wheel) + scroll wheel. It takes two of these small AAA batteries (no base station - no way of charging them) - but it has an off/on switch. It is small - half the size of other mouses I have used; but I think that I will like its smallness once I am used to it.
see link below for a full review
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content_mo...contentid=2102
crispinwilliams, have you noted how long the batteries last with the bluetake? i like the size. thanks.
15 inches of aluminum fury
     
spatterson
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Reno, Nevada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2004, 04:58 PM
 
Anyone having one week battery issues with this mouse? Battery is drained within one week.
     
crispinwilliams
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: geneva, switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2004, 10:15 AM
 
Originally posted by wy4tt:
crispinwilliams, have you noted how long the batteries last with the bluetake? i like the size. thanks.

Unfortunately this mouse broke after less than 1 day of use - the scroll wheel stopped having any action.. so I have not had the chance of testing battery life time. I have sent it back - and I hope that soon I will get a replacement. I liked the size as well - but if the batteries die after a week - I will be very disappointed.

UPDATE: just called ARP switzerland - indeed they agree that the scroll wheel is dead - but they cannot repair it, they have no more in stock - and they claim that they will not stock this mouse in future due to some problem that they would not specify. So all in all - it doesn't look good... however Themaltake appear to market the identical mouse - and there are some stockists in France..
( Last edited by crispinwilliams; Mar 2, 2004 at 11:28 AM. )
     
heidilux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 02:22 PM
 
I bought the MS BT mouse a few weeks ago. Works great! No battery issues so far. It takes 10 minutes of inactivity for the mouse to turn off on its own.

Also, I think it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever laid the palm of my hand on.

Heidilux
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 03:30 PM
 
Originally posted by heidilux:
I bought the MS BT mouse a few weeks ago. Works great! No battery issues so far. It takes 10 minutes of inactivity for the mouse to turn off on its own.

Also, I think it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever laid the palm of my hand on.

Heidilux
Is it possible to buy just the MS BT mouse seperately? I've only seen it with the Keyboard. I don't feel like spending 110 bucks for both. I only want the mouse.

Also I heard somewhere that the MS BT Dongle works with the Apple Keyboard.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ~/
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 07:23 PM
 
Originally posted by crispinwilliams:
Unfortunately this mouse broke after less than 1 day of use - the scroll wheel stopped having any action.. so I have not had the chance of testing battery life time. I have sent it back - and I hope that soon I will get a replacement. I liked the size as well - but if the batteries die after a week - I will be very disappointed.

UPDATE: just called ARP switzerland - indeed they agree that the scroll wheel is dead - but they cannot repair it, they have no more in stock - and they claim that they will not stock this mouse in future due to some problem that they would not specify. So all in all - it doesn't look good... however Themaltake appear to market the identical mouse - and there are some stockists in France..
Sh!t. Mine arrives Friday. I hope this isn't $60 down the drain.

I just don't understand why the Microsoft Bluetooth mouse and the Logitech MX900 are the only real games in town (Apple's unibutton need not apply). Plus, in this case, I'm looking for portable-size.

Belkin makes a bluetooth mouse as well, but Belkin themselves are sold out and I've not heard from one person who owns one. Plus, its rather expensive as it also includes a BT dongle. When are 'they' going to start selling BT mice without the damn BT module?
     
banditcosmo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Charlottesville, Va.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 07:33 PM
 
Originally posted by typoon:
Is it possible to buy just the MS BT mouse seperately? I've only seen it with the Keyboard. I don't feel like spending 110 bucks for both. I only want the mouse.

Yes you can get just the mouse only but it's only around $20.00 less than with the keyboard.
     
rsgunther  (op)
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2004, 09:38 PM
 
Actually, the mouse is only around $60 on amazon. At least that is what I paid for it. I really like it.
     
emil
Forum Regular
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: New York, NY
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2004, 01:24 AM
 
60 bucks for a mouse!? why are all these mice so damn expensive? i thought the idea behind bluetooth was to provide a cheap way to make products wireless.

bluetooth sucks.
     
SLam
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2004, 01:25 PM
 
Originally posted by emil:
60 bucks for a mouse!? why are all these mice so damn expensive? i thought the idea behind bluetooth was to provide a cheap way to make products wireless.

bluetooth sucks.
They're seriously overpriced. I was thinking of getting a bluetooth mouse. But after looking at the prices, I'll probably get a wireless one. They go from $10-$30.

I think it's a whole supply and demand thing. Not much peeps have bluetooth, so they jack up the prices. Like how iPod cases are $40 (probably costed them $1 for materials).
     
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ~/
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 5, 2004, 06:02 PM
 
OK, here's my mini-review of the Bluetake (aka ThermalTake) BT500 bluetooth mouse. Tested on an iBook 600 w/ D-Link BT module and a Dual 2.0 G5 with same BT module.

The mouse is a mini, portable size unit (as I was expecting). Good size to drop in a computer bag and go. The mouse as an on-off switch at the bottom and uses regular AAA batteries (2). Can't yet comment on battery life. The mouse paired right away with Apple's bluetooth 1.5 software. Switch the mouse off and back on, and the Mac reconnects right away. For first pairing, there's a button on the bottom to allow pairing. The mouse wheel will glow with a blue LED when ready to pair; the light goes off when paired or if its waited too long.

The mouse is a typical two-button plus scroll. No drivers are necessary for the mouse - the standard OS 10.3's mouse control panel recognizes the scroll wheel, to adjust sensitivity. Safari recognizes the middle button and opens new tabs.

The mouse even comes with instructions on how to pair with MacOS X (not really necessary, but their instructions do work).

The mouse's construction actually seems pretty good, and has a weighty, solid feel. The optical sensor tracks very well, surprisingly. Better than some older Logitech mice I have.

The color is a pleasant royal blue with silver buttons and a clear/white silicon wheel. The silver in the buttons is pretty close to the silver color of the current Powerbook key caps.

The mouse is too small I'd expect for most adults to comfortably use at their desks, but for a mobile-size mouse its just right.

I didn't do a formal range test, but with fresh batteries it would easily work 10 feet away.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. I was worried it'd be typical cheap PC junk, but its better than I expected.

Paid $59.95 from BuyPCDirect.com. It was shipped same day I placed the order. I've got no other experience with this online dealer, so hopefully others will have an OK experience, too.

The Bluetake BT500 mouse is 100% identical to the "Xwing" mouse sold by ThermalTake (the company that makes cases/fans/other parts for PC modders). ThermalTake sells the same blue/silver color combo and also offers the same mouse in black with red buttons. Not quite as nice looking (per the pictures on Thermaltake.com), IMO.

Hope this helps.
     
slider
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: No frelling idea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 6, 2004, 01:11 PM
 
Do any of these mice work with BT mouse battery monitor in the control panel? My Belkin does not.
     
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: ~/
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2004, 03:24 PM
 
Originally posted by slider:
Do any of these mice work with BT mouse battery monitor in the control panel? My Belkin does not.
Just the Apple, AFAIK.
     
fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 7, 2004, 04:20 PM
 
Originally posted by iREZ:
Why is it that the Microsoft BT keyboard & mouse combo on Amazon gets such lousy reviews on their boards but everyone here seems to think that they're great. Im really wanting to purchase this if it is indeed compatible with my PB.
My guess is that the majority of reviews are from PC users.. and speaking first hand I am so far not impressed with Bluetooth support in Windows XP. I'm using a D-link DBT120, which is the same adapter Apple recommends for Macs that do not come equipped with Bluetooth from the factory. The software support in Windows sucks. It's very tempermental and just not that good. Getting Bluetooth devices setup on my Powerbook was a -breeze- by comparison.
     
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2004, 01:39 AM
 
Originally posted by Cadaver:
OK, here's my mini-review of the Bluetake (aka ThermalTake) BT500 bluetooth mouse. Tested on an iBook 600 w/ D-Link BT module and a Dual 2.0 G5 with same BT module.

The mouse is a mini, portable size unit (as I was expecting). Good size to drop in a computer bag and go. The mouse as an on-off switch at the bottom and uses regular AAA batteries (2). Can't yet comment on battery life. The mouse paired right away with Apple's bluetooth 1.5 software. Switch the mouse off and back on, and the Mac reconnects right away. For first pairing, there's a button on the bottom to allow pairing. The mouse wheel will glow with a blue LED when ready to pair; the light goes off when paired or if its waited too long.

The mouse is a typical two-button plus scroll. No drivers are necessary for the mouse - the standard OS 10.3's mouse control panel recognizes the scroll wheel, to adjust sensitivity. Safari recognizes the middle button and opens new tabs.

The mouse even comes with instructions on how to pair with MacOS X (not really necessary, but their instructions do work).

The mouse's construction actually seems pretty good, and has a weighty, solid feel. The optical sensor tracks very well, surprisingly. Better than some older Logitech mice I have.

The color is a pleasant royal blue with silver buttons and a clear/white silicon wheel. The silver in the buttons is pretty close to the silver color of the current Powerbook key caps.

The mouse is too small I'd expect for most adults to comfortably use at their desks, but for a mobile-size mouse its just right.

I didn't do a formal range test, but with fresh batteries it would easily work 10 feet away.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. I was worried it'd be typical cheap PC junk, but its better than I expected.

Paid $59.95 from BuyPCDirect.com. It was shipped same day I placed the order. I've got no other experience with this online dealer, so hopefully others will have an OK experience, too.

The Bluetake BT500 mouse is 100% identical to the "Xwing" mouse sold by ThermalTake (the company that makes cases/fans/other parts for PC modders). ThermalTake sells the same blue/silver color combo and also offers the same mouse in black with red buttons. Not quite as nice looking (per the pictures on Thermaltake.com), IMO.

Hope this helps.
thanks for the review cadaver. if you could, let us know your impression of battery life when you have more time on the mouse.
15 inches of aluminum fury
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2004, 03:40 PM
 
Ok, might as well post some of my first impressions.

Bought the MS-BT today, and so far Im quite happy with it, except the price. I live in The Netherlands atm, and originally from Norway, the combo-pack with the keyboard was out of the question, so I could only buy the mouse. Cost me 89 euro

The mouse seems good for the things Ive tried so far, some Photoshop, some strategy game playing and some general use. All the buttons worked within 30 secs from pairing it, using the thumb-buttons for Expose. Feels very comfortable holding, have used the original Intellimouse Explorer on my debian-based pc since the first optical model was launched, and therefore I have great experience with the durability of MS-mice. Havent been able to test the battery capacity yet. The mouse seems to go to sleep sometimes, and it wakes up by clicking a mouse button, it also gets disconnected if I do not use it for a longer period of time, but again, it is just to click a button, and it is back up within a second or two. Guess this is a way of saving battery, even if it is a little irritating at the beginning. I do not know if the logitech has the same problems, but it is no big deal, guess I can live with it.

Probably gonna invest in an Apple BT-keyboard when I get back to Norway, so I can go completely wireless with my input.
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2004, 05:52 PM
 
How did you guys it the MS BT mouse side buttons to work with Expose? I can't seem to figure it out. I downloaded the MS Software for the intellimouse but it shows nothing of the sort. Is it something that is recognized by OS X? or do I need software for it.

So far I really like the MS mouse. i never thought I would be saying that but it is really nice and fits well to the hand.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
slider
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: No frelling idea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2004, 09:36 PM
 
I just ordered the Logitech BT to replace my Blekin at work. My Belkin keeps losing it's connection, and I have not been able to find out why; been using it for months. I have finally had enough. I don't lose connection while at home with it, it's odd. I'll post back when it comes in and I have had some time to work with it. I'll compare the two.
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2004, 06:35 AM
 
Originally posted by typoon:
How did you guys it the MS BT mouse side buttons to work with Expose? I can't seem to figure it out. I downloaded the MS Software for the intellimouse but it shows nothing of the sort. Is it something that is recognized by OS X? or do I need software for it.

So far I really like the MS mouse. i never thought I would be saying that but it is really nice and fits well to the hand.
System preferences -> Expose -> Select the corresponding mouse buttons for expose (also possible to use shift+mouse button).
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2004, 10:09 AM
 
Originally posted by perbl:
System preferences -> Expose -> Select the corresponding mouse buttons for expose (also possible to use shift+mouse button).
Cool thanks. I'll have to mess with it when I get home tonight.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2004, 03:17 PM
 
Still waiting for a nice mouse :-(

Lets see:

the MS wireless explorer 2 seems prety good, but I dislike the rf station, if only it comes as BT.

the actual BT is pc-ish, only one color, and Blue, it is not so ergonomical as the rf option.

can not find a logitech that I really like.

so, still waiting
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2004, 04:07 PM
 
Originally posted by angelmb:
Still waiting for a nice mouse :-(

Lets see:

the MS wireless explorer 2 seems prety good, but I dislike the rf station, if only it comes as BT.

the actual BT is pc-ish, only one color, and Blue, it is not so ergonomical as the rf option.

can not find a logitech that I really like.

so, still waiting
I haven't found any problems with the ergonomics of the M$ BT mouse. I like it better than most of there mice.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Automatic
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2004, 05:54 PM
 
Originally posted by typoon:
I haven't found any problems with the ergonomics of the M$ BT mouse. I like it better than most of there mice.
I find, visually, the M$ Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2 more ergonomic that the Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth. Maybe the Wireless is a more recent mouse
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2004, 06:16 PM
 
I am wondering about wether or not to change the MS-mouse to a MX900. How is the battery lifetime on the MX-900?

The reason why I am wondering about this is that the cost of rechargeable batteries will probably exceed the price difference between the two, and then the whole price issue kinda falls apart. Another thing is the need to constantly open and closing the battery compartment on the MS-mouse, would think that this would cause some kind of strain, while the logitech can just be put in the charger over night...

Really preciate answers regarding the battery lifetime
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2004, 10:17 AM
 
Originally posted by perbl:
I am wondering about wether or not to change the MS-mouse to a MX900. How is the battery lifetime on the MX-900?

The reason why I am wondering about this is that the cost of rechargeable batteries will probably exceed the price difference between the two, and then the whole price issue kinda falls apart. Another thing is the need to constantly open and closing the battery compartment on the MS-mouse, would think that this would cause some kind of strain, while the logitech can just be put in the charger over night...

Really preciate answers regarding the battery lifetime
Well here is my thing about the MX-900 the BT Dock is not powered from the USB. WTF!? Isn't that the point of wireless to get rid of as many wires as possible? I would just get a good set of Batteries for the M$ BT mouse and just stay with that. I might have to pick up a set of the Energizer Lithiums. I hear they are a decent battery.

i'm not sure about the MX900 but remember that if the batteries in that mouse are not replaceable you will get the iPod effect eventually. Loss of battery life. For me that alone is worth the price of the betteries. you can only charge it so much before the batteries start to get shortened life.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2004, 11:45 AM
 
Originally posted by typoon:
Well here is my thing about the MX-900 the BT Dock is not powered from the USB. WTF!? Isn't that the point of wireless to get rid of as many wires as possible? I would just get a good set of Batteries for the M$ BT mouse and just stay with that. I might have to pick up a set of the Energizer Lithiums. I hear they are a decent battery.

i'm not sure about the MX900 but remember that if the batteries in that mouse are not replaceable you will get the iPod effect eventually. Loss of battery life. For me that alone is worth the price of the betteries. you can only charge it so much before the batteries start to get shortened life.
Just bought the MX900, the batteries are regular rechargeable AA-batteries, so there is no problem changing them. The extra wire is a drawback, but the combination of better shape for my hand, plus included batteries and a better solution for charging it just made me change my mind about the MS vs MX900.
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2004, 12:59 PM
 
Originally posted by perbl:
Just bought the MX900, the batteries are regular rechargeable AA-batteries, so there is no problem changing them. The extra wire is a drawback, but the combination of better shape for my hand, plus included batteries and a better solution for charging it just made me change my mind about the MS vs MX900.
Cool, to each his own. I guess the question of Which mouse is best is as subjective as the laptop question that gets asked in the forum. So far for me I like the M$ mouse and don't really have any complaints about it. The cord was the only problem that really prevented my from buying the MX900. Other than that I pretty much had my heart set on it. But now that I have the M$ one I'm glad I got it. Can't believe I like an m$ product so much.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2004, 03:34 PM
 
Originally posted by typoon:

Cool, to each his own. I guess the question of Which mouse is best is as subjective as the laptop question that gets asked in the forum. So far for me I like the M$ mouse and don't really have any complaints about it. The cord was the only problem that really prevented my from buying the MX900. Other than that I pretty much had my heart set on it. But now that I have the M$ one I'm glad I got it. Can't believe I like an m$ product so much.
I do not think the chord will be a problem. After all, I can just put both the power and usb-cord behind my desk, since I do not need the cradle to be plugged into my kraftbch anyway.

But still have to say that I also really like the MS-mouse, so the question of which is the best is kinda stupid, just go with the one you like best, since both work fine in panther. It recognizes all the buttons on the MX900, so that is not the problem. The problem is that you can only access three tasks to the mouse in expose, and the standard mouse software does not have any support for assigning tasks to mouse buttons. But as it has been mentioned here before, get gamepad companion, and the problem is solved.

I am now a happy boy (with much less money than I had yesterday), and looking forward to investing in a wireless bt-keyboard soon so I can make my computer wireless and buy an icurve
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2004, 03:35 PM
 
BTW, how long does the MX900 typically takes to charge?
     
j0nkatz
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2004, 05:19 PM
 
I just got my Bluetake BT500 mouse today. It is a good solid mous that works flawlessly out of the box with my Powerbook. The only drawback I can see is that is too small for my own tastes. It can fit on my 17" PBs trackpad and still has a inch of length left over.
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 10, 2004, 07:09 PM
 
UPDATE:

I discovered that you do not need any extra software for the logitech-mouse (MX900). If you assign the button at the top (taskswitcher) and the thumb-buttons to expose, the two scroll buttons near the scroll-wheel will work as they are expected to do (scroll up and down).

Only problem is that Opera 6 har some kind of strange issue, it seems like it also combines scrolling with the buttons of the mouse with left-click, but this is likely an issue with opera and not the mouse.
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2004, 06:25 PM
 
Another update:

Had to charge my mouse for the first time today, or it started flashing because of low battery, so I put it in the charger. Have been running it for three days on the first charge. Should be interesting to see how long it lasts when I have charged the batteries 2-3 times.
     
slider
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: No frelling idea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 13, 2004, 07:52 PM
 
Well, I got my 900. I think it great, Much better than the Belkin and much easier to set up. It's smaller than the Belkin, the weight is about the same. As for the cutting out of the Belkin I mentioned, the 900 does not have this problem.
I had not realized that there was a power plug that goes in the back of the usb plug. I thought that you had to have it plugged into a USB port, but you don't. The rest of the cord is a bit much, I don't understand why they set it up this way instead of putting the port on the back of the base itself. I also use all of the buttons with the exception of the very center top button. Expose sees all the buttons which I think is interesting. I can recommend this BT mouse as is, but I would like to see an on/off switch on this thing.
     
perbl
Forum Regular
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 14, 2004, 06:03 AM
 
I use button4: All windows, button5: App windows and top-button for desktop in expose. Then the two buttons near the scroll wheel work like they are supposed to do as scroll-buttons, and now that I threw Opera 6 (crap) out of the window and went for firefox instead, everything works perfect.
     
Phydeaux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lost In Place
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 18, 2004, 10:01 AM
 
why do i feel so dirty and 'unclean' when i think about plugging an M$ product into one of my macs? anyone else feel that way...or am i the only manic one here?

good thing i stopped hearing those voices.

---'no you haven't'

yes i have!

---'shhh...they'll hear you!'

oops.
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 18, 2004, 10:32 AM
 
Originally posted by Phydeaux:
why do i feel so dirty and 'unclean' when i think about plugging an M$ product into one of my macs? anyone else feel that way...or am i the only manic one here?

good thing i stopped hearing those voices.

---'no you haven't'

yes i have!

---'shhh...they'll hear you!'

oops.
No you are not the only one that feels that way TRUST me on that. I'm amazed at how much I really like the M$ BT mouse. The more I use it the more I like it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
DanMacMan
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 42N, 85W
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 18, 2004, 10:32 AM
 
I was in search of such a mouse and came upon "The Mouse" from MacMice, so I emailed them about a bluetooth mouse, and here is the reply I received:
The Mouse BT
April 1, 2004
On-off switch
Alkaline battery
Same size and look as The Mouse USB
MSRP $69.99

Jack Campbell, President
MacMice Workspace Products Co.
Not only that, but I have since learned that there is an Aluminum version as well!
One Nation under Steve.
iMac 20"/2 GHz Core 2 Duo/2 GB RAM/250 GB/SuperDrive
PowerBook G4 12"/1 GHz/1.25 GB RAM/60GB/Combo
iMac G3 333 MHz/96 MB RAM/6 GB/CD
iPod 20GB, 4th Gen
iPhone 8GB, 1.1.4
     
macintologist
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Smallish town in Ohio
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 18, 2004, 04:17 PM
 
I plan on getting that mouse

I just hope Apple doesn't release some revolutionary two-button mouse right after....
     
slider
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: No frelling idea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 19, 2004, 12:15 AM
 
Well, I must say I really like the logitech BT mouse after using it for awhile. It has taken some getting use to from the Blekin BT mouse, but I don't lose signals, the extra buttons allow my to use all of the Expose' features and I can scroll with either the wheel or the two buttons above and below the wheel. I just don't have the wheel button or the very top button set for anything. Very happy with this purchase.
     
Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Globetrotting
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 19, 2004, 06:54 AM
 
I'm waiting for a BT mouse that is a bit more "green". The logitech at least has rechargeables and a cradle, and of course you could buy rechargables, pull them out every two weeks and recharge.

What would be perfect is a BT mouse that has a Lithium Ion which recharges using USB or perhaps FW and can still be used as it's recharging.

We'd probably get 2-3 months battery life, have to replace the battery after 4 years and would have to have it "wired" for maybe 2 hours.

Or perhaps integrate BT in the iPod and be able to switch the scroll wheel to "mouse mode".

I have the keyboard and replacing every 9 months is acceptable.

I would buy Apple's one button if it had a recharge method though they need to create a "pro" mouse. Hell will be a cold place after that.

I knew I shouldn't have quit EE school to join the circus.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?
     
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 19, 2004, 09:54 AM
 
Originally posted by DanMacMan:
I was in search of such a mouse and came upon "The Mouse" from MacMice, so I emailed them about a bluetooth mouse...
That one seems like a winner to me. I'll be getting it as well!
     
f1000
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 20, 2004, 01:29 PM
 
The Logitech MX900 is simply the best Bluetooth mouse available:



POSITIVES


1. Doesnt deform or creak when squeezed, and the joints between its plastic parts are very tight. Only Apple's mouse and keyboard come close to Logitech's in build quality.

2. Its primary right/left buttons are integrated with the chassis so that they dont rattle around loosely. Its hard to press the buttons at a wrong point.

3. Has better optical and wireless performance (800 dpi at 80 MHz) than either Apples or Microsofts mouse: instant wakeup, lag-free operation, smooth tracking (although the 10x acceleration should be adjustable), and reliable pairing. Works tens of feet away from the computer.

4. Uses two AA NiMH batteries that can be recharged in situ. Wireless optical mice drain a set of batteries in weeks, and removing the batteries to recharge them gets to be a chore (especially since rechargeable batteries discharge faster than non-rechargeable ones).

5. Exhibits much less friction when dragged across a surface than Apples mouse.

6. Ergonomic.

7. Matches the PowerBooks aesthetics.

8. DOESNT REQUIRE THE BASE TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE USB PORT! I use the base several feet away from my computer solely as a recharger.



NEGATIVES


1. The two thumb and three chicklet buttons are rather awkward to depress.

2. The scroll wheel is somewhat hard to depress.

3. The mouse is not fully programmable (hurry up with those drivers, Logitech!).

4. There is no power switch like on the Apple mouse.

5. 12 PowerBook owners must pay for a Bluetooth dock that they dont need.

6. There is no left hand version.

7. $99 US is expensive.
     
Stonie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 21, 2004, 03:26 AM
 
Thanks guys, you've all been very insightfull after reading some of your posts I finally decided on the Logitech mx900. The positives outweighs the negatives as outlined above.

Although the mouse from macmice is tempting I prefer instant gratification. Plus i just got rid of MS so I cant think of buying a mouse from them.

Got one (mx900) a few mins ago on ebay for $50 so its not that expensive an experiment.
( Last edited by Stonie; Mar 21, 2004 at 03:38 AM. )
15" Al PB G4, 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 512 RAM,
JBL Creature-Silver, iPod 20GB, Lacie D2 160GB
Switcher and Mac Addicted for life.....
     
JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 1, 2004, 05:04 PM
 
I was just notified by Newegg.com that they now have the Bluetake BT500 bluetooth mouse in stock. I ordered one for overnight delivery because I'm going out of town sunday and would like one for the road with my 17"Al-Pb. I liked the idea of the small size for travelling and with an on/off switch for riding in a backpack. I would've bought an Apple BT mouse but I wanted more than one button. If I have anything to report after my trip about this Mouse, I'll post it here. So far it seems like the best BT Mouse for the Powerbook (for my needs anyway!)
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's
----------------------------------------------------------
     
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 1, 2004, 06:35 PM
 
Originally posted by DanMacMan:
I was in search of such a mouse and came upon "The Mouse" from MacMice, so I emailed them about a bluetooth mouse, and here is the reply I received:
The Mouse BT
April 1, 2004
On-off switch
Alkaline battery
Same size and look as The Mouse USB
MSRP $69.99

Jack Campbell, President
MacMice Workspace Products Co.


Not only that, but I have since learned that there is an Aluminum version as well!
well, today's the day...April 1. i'd like to order one, but their website states (in FAQ) that they will be available in June.
15 inches of aluminum fury
     
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Tollbooth Capital of the US
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 1, 2004, 09:01 PM
 
Originally posted by crenzer:
I noticed this, too, and I'd like to express my opinion about this discrepancy based on my reading of the Amazon comments. (NOTE: I don't have the MS BT keyboard & mouse myself).

It appears that many of the Amazon buyers were critical of the fact that the included Microsoft Bluetooth dongle isn't good for much other than the accompanying MS keyboard & mouse. In other words, they are trying to get BT capability for their computer and are disappointed when the dongle won't also work with their BT phone or whatever. This won't be a concern for you, since BT will be built into your PB. You'll just be tossing the dongle and using the keyboard & mouse.

The other common complaint on Amazon is that the accompanying software makes their computer act flaky. Well what do they expect? They are running Windows! Of COURSE it's going to suck.

The bottom line appears to be that the complaints on Amazon aren't going to apply to you.

Let us know if you buy one. I am going to get a PB once Apple gets around to updating them, and I am looking at buying the MS product since the combination price is good. Like others here, I won't buy the one-button (and no scroll wheel) mouse that Apple sells.

One other piece of advice. I am not a big fan of Logitech devices. I have the RF wireless mouse and keyboard for my iMac and they mostly work OK, but I don't like that Logitech rarely updates their Mac software. Last time I checked, there still was no Panther-compatible software, so I have to use USB Overdrive. The Logitech software was buggy even during the Jaguar days -- my mouse would periodically lose contact until I unplugged and replugged the USB RF device. Once I switched to USB Overdrive, this problem completely disappeared.
Well, I bought the M$ BT mouse. I didn't go by the reviews on Amazon. I actually did what people probably shouldn't do and just got it because I wanted it and didn't listen to everyone else. I must say that so far I'm VERY happy with the M$ BT mouse. It sleeps after about about 10-15 mins of inactivity. Also I plugged in the M$ Dongle and OS X picked it right up and uses it as it should. The mouse is Pretty decent. It's ergonomic and I really like the buttons on it. It just works. The box says nothing about it being Mac compaitble but guess what it works GREAT!!! It even works with the built in BT on my Powerbook. I just enable it on the book then I pair the mouse and it's done. Took all of 10 mins to do the whole thing if that.

If i was rating this I would give it 4 stars. This mouse is very good IMO.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,