Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > graphics cards...

graphics cards...
gui1ty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 11:44 AM

I'm gonna buy a ibook g4 with 1ghz processor, 256 ram and 32mb ATI mobility graphics (all fairly up to date) i'm not hardcore gamer but i would like the option when my internet is down or when i'm bored... i know the powerbook would be a better choice but it's out of my price range.

I have checked many game sites for FPS games and found that battlefield 1942, unreal tournament 2003/4, quake III and call of duty are available...

they're the only games i'd wanna play really and they all say 32mb recomended... but this seems awfully low

I will probably upgrade the ram because there is one free DIMM slot on the ibook that takes up to 1024 mb, that costs about 100-150 quid

if i did get this ram upgrade would I be able to play these FPS game (on the net too... i do have broadband)

I hope someone out there can help

I don't mind if the games are on lower settings... but it would be nice if i could play on maxed out settings

the ibook does come with THPS4 which you are meant to be able to play on full graphical settings no problem

I know the screen is small (i'm only getting a 12" one) and i'd also need a three button mouse so i can scroll through weopons and alt fire but providing that...

thanks in advance

if this graphics isn't really good enough what options are there for purchasing graphics chips and upgrading yourself?
I've only ever customised a pc... i am sure i'd be able to do it myself no problem
-spence.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 11:47 AM

I would think the graphics will be fine, you just may have to play on lower settings. As for upgrading...can't be done. Simple as that. Nevertheless, you will find the iBook to be an outstanding machine.

Chris

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 12:11 PM

wahey, that's no problem... i'm pretty chuffed about the ibook

i am just looking into some acesories at the moment and I think i'll invest in a sleeve for the keyboard and whole case because... well to be honest my back pack is like a public toilet from the early 90's... lol don't want it to get all messed up...

the rad tech ones look pretty good

might make one myself though be cheaper

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 12:14 PM

anything else you recomend? software hardware peripherals... i already got myself a sony microvault thing so i don't spend lots of money on cd-r discs

might get a guitar in port too... saw that on the apple site, just plug it into the headphones jack

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2004, 04:48 PM

You don't need extra ports to plug a guitar in.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2004, 11:15 PM

I really like the Waterfield Designs sleevecase (http://www.sfbags.com/). There is an entire thread on this site about sleeves and cases for iBooks and Powerbooks.

Chris

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2004, 10:48 AM

i know i don't need a port but i need a transoformer cable thing
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
256 mb ram soon to be 1280 mb
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2004, 08:50 PM

my experience of gaming on the ibook g4 has not been good. everything lags. but then again, if u ad more ram, max it out and get a faster hard drive, that just might help.

Detrius
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by heresiarh:
my experience of gaming on the ibook g4 has not been good. everything lags. but then again, if u ad more ram, max it out and get a faster hard drive, that just might help.
Do you only have the stock 256MB? Of course it's going to lag. Apple really should be shipping their low end machines with 512MB--not 128MB. That should put that 256MB into perspective. 512MB is reasonable. 768MB is better. 1GB is pretty good. 16GB in a Dual 2GHz G5 is optimal.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2004, 03:20 PM

i'm gonna put in a gig so i have 1280mb, that's good enough for me... + it's the max so i have no other option
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
256 mb ram soon to be 1280 mb
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2004, 07:02 PM

Transformer cable?

Guitar goes to Amp via guitar lead (distortion pedal etc optional, line out from Amp goes to Mac audio in via guitar lead and jack to mini jack adapter.

Easy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules