Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AOL sucks

AOL sucks
gui1ty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2004, 02:54 PM

I have AOL, on my pc, we can't cancel because the 12 month contract, i've just bought a powerbook and can't really afford to take out another broadband account. a wireless network seems to be a decent investment, or maybe even wired if needs be

what options do I have...?
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
256 mb ram soon to be 1280 mb
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 7, 2004, 04:12 PM

AOL does suck. It's the internet with training wheels. I would say stick with AOL even if it does suck until your 12/month contract is up, then check and see if you can get cable broadband from your cable company or DSL from your phone company as a replacement to AOL.

If you do get cable or DSL then you can pick up an Airport Extreme card and base station to go wireless.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2004, 07:47 AM

would that be friendly with my windows home pc (the airport extreme) i'm willing to pay it out if the airport extreme works

it would need to be plugged into the DSL and powerline...

and then it would be able to communicate with my home pc upstairs with a wireless PCI card and the mactop... otherwise there is no point if we pay 150+ for something that lets one computer on at a time
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

stevesnj
Mac Elite
May 8, 2004, 04:31 PM

Oh please there are quality people on AOL..

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by gui1ty:
would that be friendly with my windows home pc (the airport extreme) i'm willing to pay it out if the airport extreme works

it would need to be plugged into the DSL and powerline...

and then it would be able to communicate with my home pc upstairs with a wireless PCI card and the mactop... otherwise there is no point if we pay 150+ for something that lets one computer on at a time
Yes it would work with your windows PC. Apple's Airport Extreme Base Stations have ethernet ports so you can hoook up your windows PC with ethernet cable to them or you can get a wireless PCI card or wireless USB device to work with the wireless part if you don't want to go with ethernet or your cable line or phone isn't loacted near your windows PC.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 06:53 AM

looks like i have to fork out for airport exteme...

my phone line is near the windows based pc so thats no problem
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules