Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo stitching software...

Photo stitching software...
Bigfoot
Forum Regular
May 25, 2004, 07:25 PM

I need a recommendation for software (freeware if possible) that will let me create panoramic digital photo stiching of interior rooms. Someone mentioned QuicktimeVR by Apple but I can't find it as a product for sale on the Apple site. Thanks for any input.

Kerry
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

betoranaldi
May 26, 2004, 10:40 AM

I don't know if you can afford it but Adobe Photoshop CS has a new feature under File > Automate > Photomerge that will do exactly what you want...

himself
Mac Elite
May 29, 2004, 07:26 PM

It's not freeware, but VR Toolbox has a number of QTVR solutions available.

I don't know if any freeware panorama stitching apps even exist, but you can search versiontracker or macupdate for anything that may be out there.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2004, 08:49 PM

we got a powershot camera a couple years ago, and it came with some stich software... not very much use to you, and it was a classic app, but hey...

hmm.. just looked, and if you want, you can call up and order the canon photo cd which now has an OSx version of photostitch on it:
http://powershot.com/powershot2/customer/macosx.html (part way down under photostitch)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2004, 11:17 PM

Photoshop Elements does this very well, and it costs less than $50 with rebates.

Chris

AWShuttleworth
May 30, 2004, 01:06 PM

Do you want your result to look like this, or would you rather it simply be a flat image made up of smaller images stitched together?

If you just want the flat image, you can do it yourself in Photoshop or use Photoshop's automated PhotoMerge feature. I don't know of any cheaper way to do this well.

But if you want something interactive like the first option, check out the links on Apple's QuickTime VR page. (QuickTime VR isn't a product, which is why you couldn't find it for sale, but a technology.) The links on those page are all applications (of varying cost) which enable the creation of QuickTime files that are interactive in that manner.
Hi. Nice to see you. You look lovely.

himself
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 03:54 AM

Originally posted by AWShuttleworth:
...QuickTime VR isn't a product, which is why you couldn't find it for sale, but a technology.
Actually apple did make QuickTime VR Authoring Studio, which they released around the same time they intorduced the QTVR technology. They last updated it sometime in the late 90's, so it's not X compatible (unless you run it in classic, of course). This app was apparently the best tool for the job, but apple stopped pushing the QTVR technology after a while, and let QTVRAS languish.
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 04:08 AM

Funny, it turns out that QTVRAS is still available on amazon.com ($380) and the compusa website (a tad over $400)... I figured apple would be giving it away right about now, but folks are still buying it.
-John Crichton

Bigfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 09:41 AM

Thank you folks.

Kerry
MacPro 2.8/8-core Xeon/10.5.8/8GB ram. MacBook Pro 2.26/10.6.2/4GB ram/250GB drive. Airport Extreme 802.11n

Forum Links
Forum Rules