Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A word to Moderators

A word to Moderators
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2004, 03:11 AM

First of all, I don't want this to sound like a flame on the moderators. It's not. But I won't be surprised if the thread gets moved or erased all together (even though it is pertinent to the PB discussion forum). Overall, I think the mods do an excellent job. However, I am going to voice my observations and impressions of your (the moderators) interactions with this forum's members.

There are times that, when a mod replies to a post, they are less than polite. Quite frequently, actually. It's not necessarily overtly rude, more of a condescending sarcasm. Now I understand that it's a problem when people don't do a search and post old questions, or make erroneous comments that could lead members astray. Some comments simply deserve a good dose of sarcasm. I'm sure it's not fun to spend your time correcting for these mistakes. However, it would seem that there may be a less cynical and berating manner in addressing these issues. But maybe I'm wrong. I guess what I'm saying is, if it's possible to be less cynical and condescending when replying to posts or questions...please do. However, if you must reply in such a manner, at least make it funny for the rest of us.
15 inches of aluminum fury

sillydog701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2004, 03:30 AM

I would only like to add...
as I am moderator of another forum, I do know there are times when people lose temper.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
But I won't be surprised if the thread gets moved or erased all together (even though it is pertinent to the PB discussion forum).
How is this pertinent to the PB section????

I would have said the feedback forum would have been more appropriate.

My guess is that you posted somthing in the wrong forum (like this) and it got locked. Maybe if you took the time to find the appropriate place, or performed a search first, then this would not happen.

You shouldn't take it personally, the mods tend to read every post, and after a time I guess it gets on their nerves when someone can not follow the simple instructions on the forum home page.

Also, if you have an legitimate "beef" with a moderator's actions, I would suggest a PM to the mod in question to seek clarification.

My 2c

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2004, 04:48 AM

although your assumption is understandable, my observations are of replies to other members, not my own. moderators have been quite fair in responses to my comments and questions. and i'm sure i would get irritated at some of the posts as well. but many of the situations to which i'm referring are not ludicrous posts or questions. and it doesn't seem as if the type of reply i mentioned is posted out of anger. rather, there is a subtle but consistenly cynical ring to them. maybe that's what this forum needs. but in my opinion, as adults, it's unecessary much of the time. i've not seen this type of response in the other areas of the forum. like i said, maybe i'm way off, and perhaps i'm the only one who views these posts as somewhat counterproductive to the community. if so, then things should remain much the same as they have been. personally, i have received some valuable information from moderators' replies. my post is nothing more than a suggestion to increase awareness, not an attack. hopefully it's not perceived as one.
15 inches of aluminum fury

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2004, 12:27 PM

lock this thread!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 2, 2004, 12:47 PM

Sflippant: let us decide what we do and don't need to close.

wy4tt: It's hard to maintain complete composure when, 95% of the time, the poster could have found the answer to their question by spending just a couple of minutes of quality time with a search engine (I realize that the forum search is currently disastrous). Many users appear to think that the purpose of a forum is to be able to pass on their own rudimentary research duties onto others.

The other thing is the persistent flagrant violation of even the most simple forum rules, like posting in the correct forums. People don't read the forum descriptions, which is, frankly, an insult to those of us who spend FAR more time keeping the forums nice than it takes to read those descriptions. If everyone took the 5 minutes it'd take them to read the descriptions and posting rules, it would save the moderator team hours of daily work that we could otherwise be spending actually helping people solve their problems.

Finally, where is it said that moderators and admins can't have personality? We are human, and as such we each have our own demeanors (not to mention natural mood variations). While we do expect all of the mod/admin team to maintain a certain level of professionalism, you must also realize that it is a totally volunteer job: we don't see a dime from MacNN. In return, we get angry emails and pestering via AIM from immature teens (and a good number of adults whose emotional and social development stopped in their teens) who are annoyed at everything we do, or test our authority at every opportunity. So if we get a bit cynical, that's why. We don't expect our volunteers to become robotic drones when they get their blue stars.

tooki

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2004, 03:52 PM

I would only add the following:

A modicum of attitude is permissable and perhaps called for when chiding or chastising a user who has taken it upon himself to verbally assault or demean other users.

That same attitude might be called for when folks decide to spam the forums, posting their 'for sale' announcement when they really mean 'for auction' across all the hardware forums.

This attitude may be enhanced by the fact that the moderator has had to respond to a large number of abuse reports regarding the offending post.

Certainly there's no need to come down hard on someone who hasn't taken advantage of the search function. This is because we can discern the difference between flagrant offense and unfamiliarity with the forums and their features.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 04:18 PM

I have not seen a mod here cross any lines or boundries and I also understand that there job is thankless and they get harressed for every little issue.

What I cannot under stand is people like siflippant who post "Lock this Thread" on many threads w/o providing any positive feedback. There's no call for these and it does not add to the discussion.

Mike

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 04:33 PM

I agree with the mods. Posting topics to get answers for a question that has been asked 1000 times before is just as easily acomplished by doing a search here or on google.

I was the admin/moderator of a gaming clan web site and forum for a year before the other admin/moderator and me got feed up with people not following the rules and never attending our scheduled network games or partices that we posted on both the web site and forum. Then when we didn't plan activies towards the end of our clan they started to complain that we never do anything so we shut down the clan and web site.

It does get frustrating being a mod. But at least they do their jobs unlike other forums (cough battlefield vietnam cough).

And people post topics in forums where they don't belong makes the job more frustrating.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2004, 05:56 PM

Tooki... chill man [though you'll say you are chilled right?] - jeez... wasn't being serious... [though i may be told "don't say anything unless you mean it"] - later ppl

bstone
Baninated
Jun 3, 2004, 01:14 AM

If I might be able to chime in--
MacNN is a very busy website that attracts a lot of traffic. As such, there is always going to be the few who "rock the boat", so to speak. It has been my impression that 99.999% of the time the forums runs incredibly smooth. When the mods do have to chime in, they act in a mostly professional manner. Human nature is to, afterall, remember the negitive things.

I have been a message board manager, staff manager, forum host, chat host, moderator and forum editor (I think that's it) online since 1994. I can honestly say that the moderators at MacNN, in a vast majority of cases, act professionally and well.

But we all have to remember....the moderators, as well as the forum members, are human.

Forum Links
Forum Rules