Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > icon recomendations

icon recomendations
gui1ty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 05:10 PM

i've been looking for free icon sets on xicons... i want something simple that works well together, preferibly white-ish

anyone recomend a set that they use?
( Last edited by gui1ty; Jul 27, 2004 at 05:36 PM. )
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
256 mb ram soon to be 1280 mb
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2004, 05:44 PM

try the Snow e2 icons from RAD E8 DESIGN

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2004, 05:47 PM

thank you, they look lush... i hope i can get them on my system free, is that possible
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by gui1ty:
thank you, they look lush... i hope i can get them on my system free, is that possible
You COULD get them for free. Get someone to extract the SNOW-E(2) icontainer(Pixadex or CandyBar) and make that person convert them into ICNS. Then modify SystemIcons.bundle(sp?) located somewhere in your System folder. I believe this is what people used to do before CandyBar came up!?

You will have to use Pixadex or some other icon utility to show the ICNS files so that you know which icons to replace so that your HD icon is not a folder or something.

about themes: perhaps get ThemeChanger and see if you can find a DLTA version of Milk f.ex and use Metallifizer from Unsanity to get rid of the brushed metal. I believe you'll get an Aqua-style window though. You will have to use APE from Unsanity aswell - some people prefer not to use it though but Metallifizer requires it. I cannot remember where to get Metallifizer at Unsanity but try searching for it. It has to be the beta/alpha version if you use Panther(10.3)

Am I right about any of this folks ?
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

pugnare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 06:03 AM

use Metallifizer from Unsanity to get rid of the brushed metal. I believe you'll get an Aqua-style window though. You will have to use APE from Unsanity aswell - some people prefer not to use it though but Metallifizer requires it.
No idea why. I look after many, many macs and I have NEVER had an issue with APE itself.

http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000342.php

I cannot remember where to get Metallifizer at Unsanity but try searching for it. It has to be the beta/alpha version if you use Panther(10.3)
http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000267.php

Word.
- Pugnare
Mark Herbert - My trusty ZebraBook

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 08:43 AM

i've got all the .ICNS files, i extracted using a great freeware app called iconverter, and i found a program called micon which is also free... but i have to change everything manually... and the folders don't change in the finder side bar

i don't know what to do now to apply them to the whole computer to make it look good

i'm going to get the icons out of the way before i play with the GUI
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 10:24 AM

grrr, such a tedius process... has anyone else done this without paying for the software...? micon is so slow... and it doesn't change all the blank icons or the hard drive... i dunno how to do the majority of the system... i've got the basic stuff done no problem though, and the side bar in finder is fine now except 'applications'
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 10:41 AM

the Milk set from Max's Milk 2.2 theme are very subdued and clean.
http://www.maxthemes.com/themes/?theme=Milk

I accidentally replaced my back-up set from iCandy with them... I am never going back.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 11:04 AM

grrr, such a tedius process... has anyone else done this without paying for the software...? micon is so slow... and it doesn't change all the blank icons or the hard drive... i dunno how to do the majority of the system... i've got the basic stuff done no problem though, and the side bar in finder is fine now except 'applications'
You really should consider CandyBar at panic.com. $ 12,95 is like free in my book.
Drag'nDrop icons, save as much containers as you may have moods, logout-login for a thorough, fast and safe replacement.

I'm using the Serenity icons from heylove.deviantart.com. They're white-ish and IMHO very tasteful. Also they come in different flavors so you can have contrasts where needed.
I just finished replacing all default buttons within Apple's Mail app.

Of course, there are many more out there.

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 11:09 AM

yeah its only a few quid, and i can get a backup for aqua
12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

gui1ty  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 12:29 PM

12" ibook G4

1ghz power pc processor
32mb ATI graphics
60gb ATA hard drive

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 08:35 AM

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9284804/ v.happy
nice screenshot. I have a suggestion; I use the Activity Monitor in Utilities to show my CPU usage. I like it this way because you always have access to all your system info. plus it's more graphical. But you choose
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

Forum Links
Forum Rules