Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Sherlock Phone Book...channel not available?

Sherlock Phone Book...channel not available?
wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 08:40 PM

I'm still running 10.3.9 and the Phone Book channel has quit working. Says to check back later, but I get the feeling this isn't temporary. Kind of like not being able to view trailers in the movie channel. It also quit working on my buddy's system.I ran a search here, but couldn't find anything. What's the word?
15 inches of aluminum fury

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 11:23 AM

Quit working on my PB too running 10.4.2. Haven't heard anything yet.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 10:31 PM

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
The part about them adding or discontinuing channels at any time? They can obviously do just about anything they want with their software/support. They could close doors tomorrow if they chose. There are many "fineprint" statements that I hope they'll never have to do. It would be nice if they let you know they were no longer supporting part of their software line though.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2005, 02:03 PM

See, this is why it was better when Sherlock channels were stored locally instead of downloaded from a server each time.

I hope this gets fixed soon; I like the Sherlock Phone Book channel for looking up people in the white pages and for when I want to look up the phone number of a business that's in a different town.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
See, this is why it was better when Sherlock channels were stored locally instead of downloaded from a server each time.

I hope this gets fixed soon; I like the Sherlock Phone Book channel for looking up people in the white pages and for when I want to look up the phone number of a business that's in a different town.
Looks like we're the only ones who used it. That, or it works for others. But judging by the number of replies to this post, it's unlikely that Apple will try to fix it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by wy4tt
Looks like we're the only ones who used it. That, or it works for others. But judging by the number of replies to this post, it's unlikely that Apple will try to fix it.
They had better fix it. Sherlock 3 was an advertised feature of Jaguar and Panther. Many people have paid for it...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jul 29, 2005, 08:43 AM

I kinda doubt this is the case, but it's at least possible... Apple may be trying to get people used to using Dashboard. Since there's a Dashboard widget for Yellow Pages...... disable Sherlock yellow pages.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by NeXTLoop
I kinda doubt this is the case, but it's at least possible... Apple may be trying to get people used to using Dashboard. Since there's a Dashboard widget for Yellow Pages...... disable Sherlock yellow pages.
This is true, but there's no default widget for the White Pages. Also, the Yellow Pages widget only searches in your current location. It doesn't let you look up businesses in other cities.

wy4tt  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2005, 05:06 PM

Well, I haven't bought Tiger and I probably won't for a while. I don't really feel I need it right now. And if Apple is already skimping on its support for Panther, that's going to be an issue.

ctw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2005, 07:39 PM

Well, I'm having the same problem with the phone book channel. I'm running Tiger as well. Funny...my wife's login had this problem at first, and I didn't. Then next time I tried it on my login (probably a week or two went by), it didn't work either. Haven't gotten it to work yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules