Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Which browsers shoudl you have to test on?

Which browsers shoudl you have to test on?
iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 12:22 AM

As IE is now defunct for Mac I'm wondering which internet browsers you would suggest to have for testing/debugging the sites your creating?

I'd like to keep a couple on my HD for this purpose but I'm not sure which ones.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2005, 12:45 AM

On the Mac: Safari, Firefox, and Camino. (The last two are both based on Gecko, but they render form controls differently).

On the PC: IE 5 (if you can), IE 6, and Firefox

And if you have access to a Linux box, Konqueror (it's not exactly the same as Safari).

iluvmymactoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 02:18 AM

So considering I don't have a windows machine do you think I need to have VPC?
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

jersey
Senior User
Oct 21, 2005, 12:48 PM

Agreed: Safari, Firefox, and Camino and I usually throw Netscape in there for good measure.

But God, I LOATHE IE. Any version. I am to the point where I dont even want to worry about supporting it. Anything I do thats non paying gig (i.e. personal) I simply dont worry about it.

Yes, I know most people on pc's use that sh*t browser, but frankly if they are going to use it, I probably dont want them to view my site anyway.

I do however link to the spread firefox page in hope people on pc's will download it.

edit***i'm a bit cranky today, sorry***

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2005, 01:17 PM

One other tip: despite IE/Win's popularity, it should always be the last thing you test. If you can get it working with everything else, it will usually work in IE/Win, and when it doesn't the fixes are usually fairly simple. This doesn't tend to work the other way around, however, because of all the proprietary crap in IE; getting it to work there is no guarantee that it will work anywhere else.

So always test IE/Win. It's the worst browser on the market, but it's a necessary evil. But testing it last will save you many headaches. Just make sure to budget in enough time to do that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

iluvmymactoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
One other tip: despite IE/Win's popularity, it should always be the last thing you test. If you can get it working with everything else, it will usually work in IE/Win, and when it doesn't the fixes are usually fairly simple. This doesn't tend to work the other way around, however, because of all the proprietary crap in IE; getting it to work there is no guarantee that it will work anywhere else.

So always test IE/Win. It's the worst browser on the market, but it's a necessary evil. But testing it last will save you many headaches. Just make sure to budget in enough time to do that.
But in order to do that right I really should be testing IE on a pc shouldn't I? I mean using IE for Mac isn't really the same thing?

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
But in order to do that right I really should be testing IE on a pc shouldn't I? I mean using IE for Mac isn't really the same thing?
or VPC - but yes IE mac is not the same as IE PeeSea. I really hate firing up VPC just for IE web testing but it has to be done if you are being paid.

I agree totally with Millenium - test IE pc last - then work around its quirks or don't worry about them if they aren't too ugly (mostly poor CSS support).
The Bitcastle
graphic design, web development, hosting

iluvmymactoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2005, 05:28 AM

Well I have VPC 6.1.1 so I guess if I grab a Win 2K that should do the trick then? I'm on Tiger 10.4.2

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 22, 2005, 09:44 AM

I like to be thorough, so I usually test in the following browsers:

Mac: Safari, IE:Mac, Camino, Firefox, Opera, Mozilla, OmniWeb
PC: IE6, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, Mozilla

Although Mozilla and Firefox should be the same, they aren't always.

Usually, I go for perfection (i.e., getting the site to look and work as I want it to) in the compliant browsers (Safari, Camino, Opera [more or less], OmniWeb, Netscape, as well as Firefox and Mozilla on both PC and Mac). For IE:Mac, I tend to settle for looking fairly okay, and being functional. For IE6, I settle for being legible and functional.

Forum Links
Forum Rules