Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.3 is out

10.3.3 is out (Page 3)
kcmac
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 02:15 AM

mitchell,

That was damn funny. I am waiting for cNET to report tomorrow that the 10.3.3 update created a massive banana bug...

Lucidwray
Mar 16, 2004, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by HouseSold:
Also Repair Permissions repeatedly shows:

Repairing permissions for �Powerbook 17 G4�
Determining correct file permissions.
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/cd9660.fs/cd9660.util. New permissions are 33261
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Permissions repair complete
I have the same message when I verify/repair permissions. I have a 15" 1Ghz Powerbook AL. I ran repair twice with the same results. Shows right back up next time you run repair/verify.

Other than that. No problems. No heat issues.
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

HouseSold
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 02:59 AM

Lucidwray and others with Powerbooks

Do you have Toast or another CD/DVD burning program installed?

If you run iTunes and turn visualizer on (cmd T) and let it run for a minute or two:

What frame rates do you see?

Do(es) your fan(s) turn on at all?

Thanks for posting

Lucidwray
Mar 16, 2004, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by HouseSold:
Lucidwray and others with Powerbooks

Do you have Toast or another CD/DVD burning program installed?

If you run iTunes and turn visualizer on (cmd T) and let it run for a minute or two:

What frame rates do you see?

Do(es) your fan(s) turn on at all?

Thanks for posting
Yes I have Toast 6 Titanium installed.

I ran iTunes for 2-3 songs. With visulizer on full screen, frame rates are 40-60 fps with most of the time at about 52 fps. It never drops below 40. This is with best quality visual effects, no FPS capping, OGL on. It seems much faster than it used to. I dont have any hard numbers, but it seems at least 10 fps faster on average.

Fans: I can honestly say I have NEVER heard the fans turn on. Ever. Granted, most of my work is Dreamweaver and BBEdit with some Fireworks/Photoshop. I have done some DVD ripping/compression and even then they never came on. I have "Temperature Monitor" installed so I have a cpu temp in my menu bar. It has never gone over about 138 F as far as I can remember. Energy saver prefs are at max cpu when plugged in. I usually mute everything in my house and try to hear the fans kinda often. At least once a day and Ive never heard them.

FYI: I am running a second monitor at 1280x1024 and have 768M ram. The machine is about a month old.
nolo contendere: A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do it again."

badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 03:27 AM

Does anyone know what the new option is in the keyboard/mouse preferences for custom/default Fn keys are for? I'm not exactly sure what this does.... ? [something beneficial for laptop users, but i'm not exactly sure how to use it ] .. ???

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 03:55 AM

Holey frack - I've never seen OSX boot so quickly as it does with 10.3.3!

And the boot panel "fades" on.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by badtz:
Does anyone know what the new option is in the keyboard/mouse preferences for custom/default Fn keys are for? I'm not exactly sure what this does.... ? [something beneficial for laptop users, but i'm not exactly sure how to use it ] .. ???
Hmmmm, strange for Apple to create such a rediculously worded/laid out option, but you'll notice if you tick/untick that option the wording switches between "custom" and "default".

The option reverses the role of the function keys - ie normally pressing them adjusts brightness/volume/etc and holding down the Fn key makes them instead act as function keys, however if this tickbox is checked then you now hold down Fn to do your volume/brightness/etc and simply pressing the function keys will perform F1/F2/F3/etc.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 04:13 AM

It would seem 10.3.3 only updates Safari if you are running version 1.2 - my 17" PowerBook is still on Safari 1.1.1 after the upgrade whilst my 15" was updated to 1.2.1

Squozen
Mar 16, 2004, 04:13 AM

I can select icons in the finder while previewing a QuickTime movie, but trying to drag a bounding box around several icons is very very screwy.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 04:20 AM

Safari 1.2 -> 1.2.1 seems to have improved compatibility with some sites. I had all sorts of problems with www.formula1.com before (had to use Camino - which had trouble with it as well, or IE - which sucks), it loads perfectly now though .

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by badtz:

Yeah, apparently, it swaps the default way the F-keys work.

By default, you have to press the fn-key plus an F-key to send that F-key, and just pressing the F-key alone sent various commands to the OS (e.g. volume up/down, screen brightness, etc).

With this option enabled, pressing F1 sends an F1, as it should, and you press fn-F1 to dim your screen. Overall, that makes more sense to me - and it's about time they gave an option to make it work that way.

thanks for pointing that out.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Mar 16, 2004, 06:01 AM

..yeah , safari really moves , nice one !

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 06:17 AM

Works fine on my 1GHz 12" PowerBook.

The only thing I have noticed is that it reset the swap settings. Previously I had moved my .vm directory off of the main partition to a dedicated swap partition with Swap Cop.This has worked on Jaguar and Panther up to 10.3.2.

With the release of 10.3.3 I noticed that upon boot it says in my login window "Check /etc/rc -- VM already running!". This seemed rather strange. So I checked my swap location and it was actually not containing my swap file "swapfile0" that gets created at boot time. I switch over to /var/vm/ and there it is.

So I started up Swap Cop and wanted to reset my swap location form the default to my own. But Swap Cop thinks it's still set to my personal location. I went on my selecting the default. After letting it finish, I set it back to my personal setting. Reboot. I still get the strange message in the boot panel. I go back to Swap Cop and it claims the swap location is my customized setting.

So I figure Swap Cop is broken in 10.3.3. I went back to /etc/ and replaced /etc/rc with the /etc/rc.backup. Reboot. Here's the weirdest part: I still get the message about VM already running in the boot panel. Even though I'm using the non-edited rc file and the Swap location is the system default at /var/vm/swapfile0.

So, what's the deal? Has anybody experienced similar problems? Any work-around? Just in case I'm going to attach the relevant part of my /etc/rc file. Maybe somebody could compare with theirs to see if it contains the same. I have no idea wth is going on here...

Code:
% more /etc/rc ... update echo "Starting virtual memory" swapdir=/private/var/vm if [ "${netboot}" = "1" ]; then sh /etc/rc.netboot setup_vm ${swapdir} fi # Make sure the swapfile exists if [ ! -d ${swapdir} ]; then echo "Creating default swap directory" mount -uw / mkdir -p -m 755 ${swapdir} chown root:wheel ${swapdir} else rm -rf ${swapdir}/swap* fi dynamic_pager -F ${swapdir}/swapfile appprofiledir=/private/var/vm/app_profile if [ ! -d ${appprofiledir} ]; then if [ -f ${appprofiledir} ]; then mv -f ${appprofiledir} "${appprofiledir}_" fi mkdir -p -m 711 ${appprofiledir} chown root:wheel ${appprofiledir} fi if [ "${SafeBoot}" != "-x" -a -x "${BootCacheControl}" ]; then ${BootCacheControl} tag fi ...
( Last edited by Simon; Mar 16, 2004 at 06:45 AM. )

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
follow the link at the top of every page: User Center > Edit Options > Other Options
Other Options
Use vBCode quick links on your message input screens?
Enabling this option allows you to quickly manipulate different aspects of your posts including color, font, and size. In addition you can click on smilies to have them inserted into your posts. You may disable this option if it causes problems for you. yes no

... disables animated gifs?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 07:48 AM

Mail still converts some .jpgs to .tiffs on forwarding... my current most annoying bug.
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

ul1984
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 07:49 AM

this site explains how to move the swapfiles to diff partition, and it still works in 10.3.3, (altough the 10.3.3 upgrade replaced /etc/rc so i had to redo the instructions found on this site)

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~bayer/OSX/swapfile/

Chito
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 08:15 AM

In all this seeing if stuff was fixed and if everything worked, has anyone tried to put their mac to sleep? I've got a QS 933 that will not sleep after the update. I repaired permissions and restarted twice. When I try to put it to sleep the hd's spin down and the screen goes out and about a second later it wakes right back up. I'm gonna have to search here for sleep issues and see what else I'll have to try.

Heman
Mar 16, 2004, 08:21 AM

trying to update from 10.3.1, it keeps telling me I "cannot install this software o this volume. This volume does not meet the requirement for this update"
What gives?

My babe.
12" Rev A 867

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Heman:
trying to update from 10.3.1, it keeps telling me I "cannot install this software o this volume. This volume does not meet the requirement for this update"
What gives?
Update to 10.3.2 first, or wait for the combo updater.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 08:31 AM

I'm in the UK too. I was running 10.3.1 still and software update listed a 69.9mb file which I downloaded and ran successfully. Haven't noticed a single change anywhere though.

File was called "MacOSXUpdateCombo10.3.3.pkg"

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 09:07 AM

I've noticed Safari pages don't "jump" anymore when they are finished loading. Scrolling appears a lot smoother. Going on to install 10.3.3 on my networked Powerbook. Very happy so far with this update.

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Chito:
In all this seeing if stuff was fixed and if everything worked, has anyone tried to put their mac to sleep? I've got a QS 933 that will not sleep after the update. I repaired permissions and restarted twice. When I try to put it to sleep the hd's spin down and the screen goes out and about a second later it wakes right back up. I'm gonna have to search here for sleep issues and see what else I'll have to try.
I put mine to sleep last night before going to bed, no problems, but that has happened to me in 10.3.2 before, kinda random.

motoyen
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 10:16 AM

867/G4Tower/1.5RAM/10.3.3/17" Apple LCd

Is anyone else not able to dim your screen? Using the F14/F15 buttons doesn't do anything and when I try to drag the Brightness button to the left it keeps jumping back to the right. Also I notice that my touch sensative display button on my monitor doesn't work anymore.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
... disables animated gifs?
No, just the smilies I believe...

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by motoyen:
Is anyone else not able to dim your screen?
Not a problem here.

Dual 2.0 G5/20" Cinema

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Chito:
My iBook 500 and Dual 2 GHz G5 both slept fine all night last night.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

aabbas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2004, 11:08 AM

I don't know if this is 10.3.3 related, but it started happening immediately after I updated: my mouse cursor creeps to the left, about two pixels per second. I'm using the Apple wireless mouse with the Belkin bluetooth adaptor.

Anyone else see this?

I think my mac took a page from my baby's book, because now the display won't sleep _all_night_. :-/

Alex

[ G4 Cube, 7457 PL 1.4GHz, GF2MX, 1.25GB RAM, 120GB HD, 17" Apple TFT ]

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by aabbas:
I don't know if this is 10.3.3 related, but it started happening immediately after I updated: my mouse cursor creeps to the left, about two pixels per second. I'm using the Apple wireless mouse with the Belkin bluetooth adaptor.

Anyone else see this?

I think my mac took a page from my baby's book, because now the display won't sleep _all_night_. :-/
I bet these two problems are related. If your cursor is moving, then there is probably some USB activity which will keep your display and/or computer from sleeping.

I had this type of problem happen once, and it was one of the funniest repairs I have come across. After try to debug software conflicts, etc. I decided to look for hardware conflicts. It happened to be that my joystick had been kicked over, and it was making the cursor move slightly.

Unplug your USB devices to make sure nothing is making the cursor move. If it is still happening, then something else (software most likely) is messed up.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 11:35 AM

Ok, installed on PowerBookTi 1Ghz SD ... everything seems to be working as expected (the first book was damn slow though). I have not had the time to look everywhere, but people are reporting some changes to the energy settings (Energy Pref Pane) and reporting for Bluetooth. Mail works and Safari feels "snappier", doesn't double load things and scrolling appears to have been fixed.
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

Chito
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 11:58 AM

Thanks to all who replied to my sleep issue. When I get home this afternoon I'm going to unplug my USB devices and see if it corrects the problem. After doing a few searches here usb conflicts seem to be the culprit in most sleep issues. I'll let you know.

aabbas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2004, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by giantmike:
(snip) ... my joystick had been kicked over, and it was making the cursor move slightly.

Unplug your USB devices to make sure nothing is making the cursor move. If it is still happening, then something else (software most likely) is messed up.
Yep, I forgot I had a second mouse plugged in and tucked away. Duh! Thanks Mike.

Alex

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2004, 12:13 PM

So far, this is an awesome update. OS 10.3.3 poured my coffee for me this morning, then made my bed while I was in the shower.

My drive to work was six minutes faster, too. I'm lovin' it.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

kman42
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 12:21 PM

Idle cpu usage seems way down for me. I have cpu monitor running in the dock and it always showed ~20% cpu usage when doing nothing with x11, mail, ical, AB, safari, ichat open. Now it shows almost nothing on my g5 1.8. Perhaps the safari update? I've noticed with 10.3.2 that sometimes safari will start hogging the cpu until I quit and launch it again.

kman

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
So far, this is an awesome update. OS 10.3.3 poured my coffee for me this morning, then made my bed while I was in the shower.

My drive to work was six minutes faster, too. I'm lovin' it.

CV

Well, my experiences have been a little iffy. I mean, I really tried, but 10.3.3 just would not put out. It was a lonely night in Florida last night.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 01:14 PM

I have yet to see any artefacts on the desktop regarding files with long names - which is good.

xe0
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 01:34 PM

great to see networking fixed!

I'm at a LAN atm, and for the first time I can actually see everyone in the finder. awesome. Its still a bit of a pain to connect to the PC users- but hey, at least the networking items don't disappear anymore.

Wicked

James Christ
Banned
Mar 16, 2004, 01:51 PM

It does seem faster and smoother but that might be because I had a long up time and rebooted after install. Illusions sometimes.

James Christ
Banned
Mar 16, 2004, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Squozen:
I can select icons in the finder while previewing a QuickTime movie, but trying to drag a bounding box around several icons is very very screwy.
Yeah. Odd Quartz bug. But I never do this anyway. Preview panel is a bit boring.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2004, 02:28 PM

10.3.3 is so far so good on a 600MHz iBook G3 and a 900MHz Blue & White G3.
There is a report of an ACard 6820M UltraATA PCI card not working correctly after the 10.3.3 update, but I've got one in the B&W G3 and it seems to be running fine.

Now to update the dual G5... Being cautious about that one.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 02:37 PM

First time I have seen SMB shares mounted on the desktop and sidebar in the Finder.
I'd like to mount just the individual servers but it seems I have to authenticate to enter each invidual share on a server. My desktop could get pretty cluttered no? How do I mount just the server and not individual shares?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Orion27:
First time I have seen SMB shares mounted on the desktop and sidebar in the Finder.
I'd like to mount just the individual servers but it seems I have to authenticate to enter each invidual share on a server. My desktop could get pretty cluttered no? How do I mount just the server and not individual shares?
You can't. But you can make an alias of it as it appears in the Network Browser and drag it to your Finder toolbar and click on it to then mount additional shares. You can also turn off the icons of any shares appearing on the Desktop in Finder Preferences.

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 03:10 PM

I got a strange bug this morning on my G5 at work. After the upgrade, browsing the network volumes caused the finder to unexpectedly quit, it was driving me crazy. Then I tried turning off 'icon previews', 'item info' and 'arrange by' in the finder preferences for all windows. Suddenly I could browse normally. Not sure which one of those was causing the problem yet but it's been stable ever since.

My system is a clean install of 10.3 only about two weeks old.

Another problem I'm having is that i'm in a mixed environment of Macs and PCs and the Windows shares (which now at least show up in the network browser) seem to want to authenticate using a standard mac authentication box which doesn't have the extra 'domain' field. If I try to connect using this box it tells me my password exceeds the maximum number of characters.

If I connect using the GO menu, however, and typing the full URL (smb://server/share) or whatever, it gives me the full Widows authentication box complete with the domain field and it accepts my password and connects normally.

So really my experience with networking enhancments so far is one step forward, two steps back!
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
I tried to install 10.3.3 on a Windows box and it got drunk and punched my cat. Good job Apple.
So what you're saying is that it made it more "snappy"
Please forgive me
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 04:01 PM

So what did they fix in Safari? It still seems to have that rollover bug.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
Holey frack - I've never seen OSX boot so quickly as it does with 10.3.3!

And the boot panel "fades" on.
damn right about the boot times ... i was shocked!

this is a very nice update. everything�s a tad smoother and quicker. the drop shadow bug with file/folders on the desktop is finally gone. nifty.

what other undocumented goodness did you folks find?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
So what did they fix in Safari? It still seems to have that rollover bug.
what rollover bug are you referring to?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by dr. zoidberg:
the drop shadow bug with file/folders on the desktop is finally gone. nifty.
Not here, and others report that hasn't been fixed either...are you sure about that?!?

Gavin
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:

Well, my experiences have been a little iffy. I mean, I really tried, but 10.3.3 just would not put out. It was a lonely night in Florida last night.
You should switch to windows. It'll screw you every time!
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 05:09 PM

Went fine on my g4 400 desktop but my PB hung at the end. I restarted and after a long restart all now seems fine. Can't actuall notice any improvments, and my fan comes on more now (I was on 10.3.1 still before). Still at least I'm up to date again I guess.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2004, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Gavin:
You should switch to windows. It'll screw you every time!
Zing!

Forum Links
Forum Rules