Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Building a new computer workstation from scratch, please help me.

Building a new computer workstation from scratch, please help me.
sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2024, 03:21 PM

Its been so long since I've been here but once I started to embark on my new project my head starting swimming and the only place I could think of for some straight answers is right here. You fine nerds have never steered me wrong before!

The Plan

Build a modern computer desk workstation from the ground up, getting rid of my old desk and old computers in the process. Replace with one large screen and one keyboard/mouse to control everything.

The Moving Parts

My partner got a big promotion (hooray) and will also be working from home a lot more (also hooray) but her new position has put a strain on our cluttered and inefficient workspace. I have a 2012 27" iMac, backup drive, printer, usb-c dock for her windows laptop, second screen for said laptop and second mouse and keyboard for said laptop. this all sucks.

The New Kids

I've settled on replacing my iMac with an M2 Mac Mini, my computer needs are few (I cut wood for a living) but we need a family machine that will serve as the anchor for years and years. I've also decided to get an Uplift electric desk so my s/o can have a comfortable area to work while she is doing things around the house or settling in for a long zoom meeting. this is another area i dont mind shelling out some bucks. Lastly the focal point will ideally be a 27-31.5 inch display that will serve both her work laptop and the Mac Mini.

The Problem

It's been a long goddamned time since I've kept up with technology and reviewing my options for simple connectivity is making me feel very, very old. At first I was convinced the only way to achieve my vision is with a KVM switch but now I'm not so sure. Most monitors have a plethora of inputs, including USB-C (thunderbolt?) So it would appear on the surface that i don't need to switch video inputs but rather just merge one keyboard and mouse to both machines? Past that I'm unsure whether i should shoot for HDMI, Display Port, or simply USBc for my monitor connections. Can monitors accept multiple inputs and switch between them? Gaming is not a huge concern to me but id like to keep the resolution at a minimum of 1440p, no curve either. My biggest concern is some weird compatibility issues between sharing one monitor with a mac and a pc.

I've got a bunch of stuff bookmarked but as i started to diagram my connections I realized I really didn't know what the hell I was doing, hence this post. This place has been such a great destination for me over the years when i have tech questions and thank you all for the current and past help you have given me.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2024, 04:05 PM

Unfortunately, my experience is limited to the LG 27MD5KL-B. Practically speaking, it’s the 27” Retina Apple Thunderbolt Display that Apple never brought to market. A solid contender only if it’s all Macs.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2024, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Unfortunately, my experience is limited to the LG 27MD5KL-B. Practically speaking, it’s the 27” Retina Apple Thunderbolt Display that Apple never brought to market. A solid contender only if it’s all Macs.
Unfortunately the second machine is an old-ish windows laptop provided by her company

reader50
Administrator
Mar 26, 2024, 04:32 PM

In general, 3rd party monitors have more ports as they get more expensive. IPS displays are almost standard on monitors today - everything but the very cheapest, and a few oddballs with something different, like OLED. Note that it's become common for audio to be output through the monitor cable, so you now get stereo sound via your DisplayPort / HDMI / USB-C connection. 4K monitors are also cheap, used for Retina resolutions. Don't buy a 1440p monitor - Retina looks better, the higher the base resolution.

You should be fine with a decent monitor, switching inputs between Mac and PC. I'd expect the audio source to switch along with the video, but it's possible the audio source would need switching separately via the monitor menu. That's the only possible gotcha that comes to mind. Check the monitor connections panel(s) before buying. The specs online don't always list everything. Like if you have a legacy DVI port (for hooking up an older computer to reach old apps or games) or if the USB-C port supports TB. From the jack panel, you can see if the lightning-bolt TB logo is present.

note: TB 3 or 4 over USB-C is an extra feature. Some USB-C connections only do USB, while others do USB + TB. For monitor use, this will affect the cable. Make sure it supports TB too.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 26, 2024, 04:34 PM

A KVM is probably your best bet for a partner-friendly one-touch switch to swap a single mouse/keyboard/monitor between two PCs.

Maybe something like this one that expressly claims Mac compatibility and can charge the laptop through USB-C so it's only a one cable connection to each device.

https://www.amazon.com/MLEEDA-Comput...A3PG7Y5OYBDW90

Note that the M2 Macs can't run Windows natively like the Intels could, so your gaming options are limited to what you can run in Mac OS or how much you want to fuss with Windows virtualization.

I've never run into the 8GB limit of my M1 Mini but if you're going for a decade of use you might as well get the full-bore 16GB version.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
You should be fine with a decent monitor, switching inputs between Mac and PC. I'd expect the audio source to switch along with the video, but it's possible the audio source would need switching separately via the monitor menu. That's the only possible gotcha that comes to mind. Check the monitor connections panel(s) before buying. The specs online don't always list everything. Like if you have a legacy DVI port (for hooking up an older computer to reach old apps or games) or if the USB-C port supports TB. From the jack panel, you can see if the lightning-bolt TB logo is present.

note: TB 3 or 4 over USB-C is an extra feature. Some USB-C connections only do USB, while others do USB + TB. For monitor use, this will affect the cable. Make sure it supports TB too.
Good stuff, thanks, any recommendations for a ~30" display that doesn't break the bank?

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
A KVM is probably your best bet for a partner-friendly one-touch switch to swap a single mouse/keyboard/monitor between two PCs.

Maybe something like this one that expressly claims Mac compatibility and can charge the laptop through USB-C so it's only a one cable connection to each device.

https://www.amazon.com/MLEEDA-Comput...A3PG7Y5OYBDW90

Note that the M2 Macs can't run Windows natively like the Intels could, so your gaming options are limited to what you can run in Mac OS or how much you want to fuss with Windows virtualization.

I've never run into the 8GB limit of my M1 Mini but if you're going for a decade of use you might as well get the full-bore 16GB version.
Funny I felt compelled to go 24gb upgrade just for shits because I know everything is set in stone and can't be upgraded, But if 16 is fine then ill spend that money elsewhere, Thanks for the link to the thunderbolt kvm, that definitely seems like the easiest way to get everybody set up. Elminating HDMI or DP cables wasn't something I was aware of until recently hah.

Forum Links
Forum Rules