Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mighty Mouse on 12 inch Powerbook, cord long enough?

Mighty Mouse on 12 inch Powerbook, cord long enough?
I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Aug 3, 2005, 04:49 AM

This mouse seems to be cool. Looks like the very old Apple Bus Mouse II (hm, at least a little).

My question:
Is the cable long enough to use the mouse with the 12 inch powerbooks? The 12inchers have only usb ports at the left side (and I am right handed).

The last apple mouse I bought was the black apple pro mouse. Very nice but the cable was too short ( these days I had an iBook blueberry with usb also on the left side ). That mouse was clearly intended to be used with the apple pro keyboard ( with usb ports left and right ). So I bought a usb extension, but the connector was too heavy and, hanging from the back of the table, pulled the mouse until it fell off the table too.

Can anyone update me? Is the usb cable for apple mice now longer than 30 centimeters/12 inches? I have seen a picture in a private review ( http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008561.html ) and it looks bad. Apple does not build their mice for powerbooks, or am I wrong?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 05:03 AM

I think the Ars review said 27 inches. Shorter than normal but should work fine for you (unless you hold out for the bluetooth model).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

I was David B.  (op)
Aug 3, 2005, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
I think the Ars review said 27 inches. Shorter than normal but should work fine for you (unless you hold out for the bluetooth model).
Indeed, they write 27 inches (= 68 cm). Not exactly long...

Here is the reference, if you are interested:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/mightymouse.ars

Thanks, Randman.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 08:06 AM

I just got mine and it is more than long enough on a PB17. I think you'd be fine on an iBook.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 08:06 AM

unforunitly Apple has been short changing us cord wise since I can remember using a mouse/keyboard.

Mike

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 08:52 AM

The cables have been short because the 'standard' setup for a Mac keyboard and mouse is to plug the mouse into the keyboard, and these 2 things are usually right next to each other on the desk! Now that there is the switcher bait Mac mini, where people will possibly use their PC keyboard, the Mighty Mouse's cable is longer so that it will go to the Mac or hub instead.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2005, 10:26 AM

27 inches is more than enough to wrap around to the left side of the 12" powerbook. I've got a Kensington pocket mouse and its cord is somewhere between 2-1/2 and 3 feet, and I've got a lot of extra cord laying behind my screen... like you could cut a foot off, and I'd still have more than enough cord.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

theTechyDork
Aug 3, 2005, 03:12 PM

I'm sure it will work for the original poster. However, 27" isn't long enough for a mouse, IMO.

I think it's a great mouse, but I won't be getting one until it's bluetooth. Anything wireless I can get, I will take advantage of.

cmx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2005, 03:40 PM

yes wireless is nice but i don't like the batteries running flat, i think it'd be nice for a desktop but not on the go. i'll go with the wired version when i get my powerbook this month, unless apple figures out to send power-over-bluetooth

b11051973
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2005, 04:08 PM

I want a Mighty Mouse now, but will wait for a bluetooth version.

inkhead
Senior User
Aug 3, 2005, 04:33 PM

Bluetooth sucks for wireless. The people who like bluetooth mice, usually don't do anything very precise or they would go crazy. People who do graphics work, or anything requiring precise movments hate bluetooth for mouse. Too much latency. It's the reason why the nicest wireless mouse (Logitech MX1000 laser) Does NOT come in a bluetooth version. Only FastRF, since it's the only thing that can drive without noticible latency.

Bluetooth was designed to be very low power, and on the downside isn't good for rapid communications.
You may not notice it for average mousing around, but every bluetooth mouse I've ever used i can feel the latency. Some of the biggest graphics firms/ad agencies i work with actually banned bluetooth mice ;-)

theTechyDork
Aug 3, 2005, 06:54 PM

Well, I'd like an MX 1000 form of the Mighty Mouse. Meaning, a rechargeable battery.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
Bluetooth sucks for wireless. The people who like bluetooth mice, usually don't do anything very precise or they would go crazy. People who do graphics work, or anything requiring precise movments hate bluetooth for mouse. Too much latency. It's the reason why the nicest wireless mouse (Logitech MX1000 laser) Does NOT come in a bluetooth version. Only FastRF, since it's the only thing that can drive without noticible latency.

Bluetooth was designed to be very low power, and on the downside isn't good for rapid communications.
You may not notice it for average mousing around, but every bluetooth mouse I've ever used i can feel the latency. Some of the biggest graphics firms/ad agencies i work with actually banned bluetooth mice ;-)

my biz partner, my girlfriend, and i all use bluetooth mice (i have a kensington pocketmouse bt);
between us, we do:
graphics, webdesign, music production, film editing (and so on), and are quite happy with the tracking & functioning of our mice.

just mentioning...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 11:02 PM

how are you liking it, randman?

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing
my biz partner, my girlfriend, and i all use bluetooth mice (i have a kensington pocketmouse bt);
between us, we do:
graphics, webdesign, music production, film editing (and so on), and are quite happy with the tracking & functioning of our mice.

just mentioning...

Is there a little lag?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
how are you liking it, randman?
I haven't used a mouse in a couple of years so it's taking a little bit of time. Using the Trackman at home and work, I really got used to using it on a subconscious level.

As far as mouses, it's not as good as the MX1000 or anything like it but it's a good start. It's super light, be perfect for on the go with a laptop.

It's taking a little bit of time getting used to the buttons as well but they are pretty logically laid out.

Tracking is good with it on a normal desktop (I don't own any mouse pads anymore). It is a bit small. It fits the missus' hands better than my large mitts.

freudling
Banned
Aug 4, 2005, 02:15 AM

I think it is long enough. I have a macally about the length and it is fine. It is designed for either a keyboard (right or left side plug in) or for mobile computing. Who wants extra cord draped over the desk? Streamlined it is in my opinion. Now, they should go wireless on that puppy.

I was David B.  (op)
Aug 4, 2005, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by freudling
I think it is long enough. I have a macally about the length and it is fine. It is designed for either a keyboard (right or left side plug in) or for mobile computing. Who wants extra cord draped over the desk? Streamlined it is in my opinion. Now, they should go wireless on that puppy.
Thanks again guys.
I have found a .mov in the net from someone who shot a video about his new mighty mouse. He connected it to a 12 inch powerbook and it looks good enough.

If apple uses a longer cord now compared to the original pro mouse, like ajprice pointed out, the problem will be solved.

I personally don't like bluetooth mice. Some of my colleagues use logitech mice and they need a new set of batteries every two weeks. For me thats a far worse drawback than a thin and flexible cable.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2005, 05:16 AM

hmmm.... guess i'll wait till my M$ mouse conks out. if i have the chance though i'd sure like to try one, the mighty mouse would look so kick ass with my ibook.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 06:27 AM

It works quite well with a laptop. I've been testing it on my PB. Any longer and the cord would just hand around.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Is there a little lag?

hey, sorry if this is hijacking the thread!

anyway,
no noticeable lag...
we are all on alubooks, 3rd or 4th gen.
i use kensington's mouseworks pref pane to set speed etc, works great (i use the scroll wheel push to double-click...nice)

i do a lot of audio work (in logic) and am comfortable.

etc

your mileage may vary...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead

Wow that's amazing that graphics firms and agencies still use a mouse for graphics
Maybe they should catch up with the rest of the world and start learning how to use a Wacom tablet. I certainly would not use a mouse to design with.

I'm sure Apple will have a BT version soon, why use old technology I say (like a mouse for graphics design for instance)
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by iluvmymactoo
Maybe they should catch up with the rest of the world and start learning how to use a Wacom tablet.
phhh... Wacom Schmom... You're nothing if you don't have the BrainSketch HeadGear55... you draw the image... with your mind...

Here let me poke me you with a stick a little more to make sure you got it...

huh? Ah, still not yet?

Hmm? What's that you say?

Ah, yeah that's what I thought.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 02:14 AM

27" is long enough to use it on a 17"er
Aloha

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
phhh... Wacom Schmom... You're nothing if you don't have the BrainSketch HeadGear55... you draw the image... with your mind...

Here let me poke me you with a stick a little more to make sure you got it...

huh? Ah, still not yet?

Hmm? What's that you say?

Ah, yeah that's what I thought.

I don't understand what you're trying to say

PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 08:09 AM

Going from USB mouse to Bluetooth was actually an upgrade for me. But I guess it has more to do with the tracking performance than USB vs BT differences. The only latency issue I know is the seconds it takes to wake the mouse up from its idle naps. Kensington Pocket Pro USB (or something) -> Fujitsu Siemens BT mouse (current).

BTW: Like mine, some BT mouses also comes with rechargeable batteries and can be recharged while in use either by USB or AC.

BT mouses are "designed" to be used in combination with portables IMHO. It's really neat to trow away unnecessary cables when you take your laptop with you from place to place. If you have a desktop you should just as well consider radio signal connected mouse and keyboards as they are both cheaper and wakes up faster from idle mode.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2005, 06:54 PM

Ya know, I'm still curious as to why people want a longer cable -- what, nobody has a display that has USB ports? I had a mouse with a ~14" cable and it worked great for me. If you've still got too much space, that's what the keyboard jack is for .. and why would you put a laptop THAT far away?
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules