Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Cell Phone Transfer Software for OS X?

Cell Phone Transfer Software for OS X?
Big Daddy P
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 07:45 AM

Is there any software like Datapilot or Motorola's Mobile Phone Tools for mac OS X?

I'm a new Mac convert!

Thanks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2004, 08:10 AM

If you wish to send/retrieve data via Bluetooth, use Bluetooth Data Exchange (or whatever it's called in English). It's in /Applications/Utilities, and it works perfectly.

Big Daddy P  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2004, 08:39 AM

My phone is not Bluetooth capable and neither is my imac g5.

I want software that will work with a Motorola usb data cable, like the 2 I mentioned for Windows.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2004, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Big Daddy P:
My phone is not Bluetooth capable and neither is my imac g5.

I want software that will work with a Motorola usb data cable, like the 2 I mentioned for Windows.
Ah, gotcha, sorry.

Generally, those phone-specific theme editing/etc. solutions seem to be directly from the phone makers, and hardly any support the Mac. I have heard of stuff working in Virtual PC, however.

Have you tried searching www.versiontracker.com or www.macupdate.com for software?

Cheers,

-s*

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Nov 8, 2004, 01:30 PM

Yeah I had a similar question cause I don't want to have to set up Apache / PHP on Virtual PC just so I can upload a ringtone to my Nextel Cellphone... but it's looking Grim unless there is some supreme software dev out there willing to take on the cause.

Mac Guru

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2004, 02:18 PM

If your phone is on this list, then you may be able to use iSync (part of the software supplied by Apple with MacOS X) to do it. At the very least, you will be able to synch your Address Book and iCal information to and from your phone.

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2004, 01:32 AM

Give Phone agent a try. Im not sure if your phone is on the list but if it is it is a great program for importing data , phone lists and even editing themes. find it here
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Big Daddy P  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2004, 07:37 AM

Not for Motorola phones.

Thanks anyhoo.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 09:13 AM

Alright, time to bring this thread back from the dead.

I just got a motorola razr phone, and I was looking for a program that would allow me to sync things such as ringtones and photos. Does anyone know of anything that will work for me over usb on a moto phone? I know I could just try using bluetooth, but my Powerbook doesnt have that technology built in. There isn't much purpose for me to buy an adapter either, just for one device.

I read about DataPilot, but at $45 dollars and no demo, I was unsure of how well this worked. Any ideas?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2005, 09:20 AM

Swarmy, if you're going to use it often, consider a bluetooth adapter. They're getting cheaper each day and if you ever decide to use a bluetooth-enabled mouse/keyboard or headset, you'll be set up just fine.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by SwarmyCurve
I read about DataPilot, but at $45 dollars and no demo, I was unsure of how well this worked. Any ideas?
That's exactly the price of the Bluetooth-adapter, so I suggest you simply get that.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?model=DBT-120

infowarrior
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by SwarmyCurve
Alright, time to bring this thread back from the dead.

I just got a motorola razr phone, and I was looking for a program that would allow me to sync things such as ringtones and photos. Does anyone know of anything that will work for me over usb on a moto phone? I know I could just try using bluetooth, but my Powerbook doesnt have that technology built in. There isn't much purpose for me to buy an adapter either, just for one device.

DataPilot worked flawlessly for me and my RAZR V3 (black!) .... the $50 was well-worth it to use the USB connectivity instead of having to ALSO buy a bluetooth dongle for my TiPB that is Bluetooth-free.

Datapilot is easy to use and thus far, does ringtones, photos, phonebooks, etc. just fine.

infowarrior
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 11:23 PM

The neat thing about the RAZR is that the USB cable doubles as a charger, so you can take it on the road with you instead of an extra power adapter. Ergo for me, DataPilot was a better solution since I didnt have Bluetooth in my TiPB and didnt want to buy (and likely lose) a Bluetooth USB dongle AND a RAZR AC adapter.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by infowarrior
The neat thing about the RAZR is that the USB cable doubles as a charger, so you can take it on the road with you instead of an extra power adapter. Ergo for me, DataPilot was a better solution since I didnt have Bluetooth in my TiPB and didnt want to buy (and likely lose) a Bluetooth USB dongle AND a RAZR AC adapter.
That's what I was thinking, I've liked being able to simply plug in this phone to my mac, if only to charge it. Plus, its the same cable I use for my digi cam!

On that note, how is the DataPilot software - does it work as advertised? I was mainly hoping to exchange photos both ways and music clips to the phone. iSync already does everything else. I have searched around google and there isn't much information about users' impressions on the mac version. There isn't a demo or anything either for me to try out either. hmm, thanks!

infowarrior
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2005, 09:41 AM

re: ringtones/music clips, I have no idea -- I have no need for that functionality and haven't explored those features in the application, sorry. But moving stuff to/from the phone (eg, photos and contacts) it worked as advertised. Only needed to refer to the documentation once, too.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2005, 08:00 PM

Funny thing about data transfer to cell phones: your cell carrier might have disabled some of the functionality of your phone, certain things can't be transferred via bluetooth, etc.

For example, my Motorola V710 is iSync supported via a USB cable, but not by bluetooth unless you edit the iSync plist to enable it (don't know if enabling bluetooth sync disables USB - haven't tried it). Verizon doesn't want people to use their own mp3s as ringtones, but there's ways around it.

I haven't found an all-in-one solution yet, but between the usb cable for contact/calendar isync and a transflash card USB adapter for pics, movies, and mp3s, I'm satisflied with the level of connectivity and personalization I can get.

A demo of DataPilot might be handy for reducing my cell-related-cable-adapter-clutter, but the cable and the t-flash adapter cost about half the price of the software.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2005, 11:42 AM

Briareus -- can you expand on the specifics for bluetooth syncing by modifying the iSync plist? As I was reading your post, my V710 arrived and I am interested in all I can find out about how to best use the features. Have you connected it to your computer and used it to connect to the internet? I am also interested in making that work. Any ideas would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you think the "masses" would not be interested in your info.

Thanks in advance!
Mary

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 13, 2005, 09:53 PM

Motorola V710 iSync via Bluetooth info is here.

I don't use it to connect to the net. QT Video, mp3s, and .jpgs are handled by a transflash card adapter, and ical/address book via an OEM USB cable.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2005, 10:43 AM

Thanks for your help! I'll read up on all and test!
Mary

timmerk
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 05:52 PM

fairmountfair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2005, 09:01 PM

I really must advise AGAINST DataPilot. I had a weird feeling about that place before I ordered but based on what I'd read here, I tried it, regardless of the fact that there was no demo; unfortunately, it seems to be the only software of its kind. I have yet to get it to work - even simple syncing of my address book is met with "Phonebook Read/Write is not supported through cable on this phone"...the website claims that my phone, the Motorola v180, is supported, and there's no Bluetooth on the phone, so what gives?

The main reason, however, for my post is to point out that, on top of having no demo, there is a $9.95 processing fee for returns on downloaded software. So now, even though the product is likely worthless to me, I still owe them $10, and I have to do endure a process of letter-writing back and forth just to get the rest of the money.

It may be that techsupport helps me get DataPilot working and it may even be an incredible app, but I will never do business with this company again.
( Last edited by fairmountfair; Jul 8, 2005 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessarily harsh (maybe) language toward Susteen Co.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules