Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Any iMac buyers picking up a 2GB stick?

Any iMac buyers picking up a 2GB stick?
dazzla
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 02:10 AM

The only thing still niggling at me before I pick up the 20" iMac is the fact that it's basically a 1.5GB maximum seeing as a 2GB DDR2 stick is prohibitively expensive (£650, $1200). I do plan on using the machine for Aperture as well which is what's causing me to stop and think about picking up a Powermac instead. I suppose I could grab a 1GB stick then switch it out for a 2GB stick when they're cheaper and more available.

Is there anywhere that'll sell if for a cheaper price than that though? I noticed it's a $1200 upgrade on the Apple US store so I'm guessing that's the sort of price range it's going to sit at for a while. I've yet to see a new iMac owner say they've gone for 2.5GB.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2005, 07:05 AM

It's early. Ram prices will drop on the 2GB as time passes. Don't buy it from Apple.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by dazzla
Is there anywhere that'll sell if for a cheaper price than that though? I noticed it's a $1200 upgrade on the Apple US store so I'm guessing that's the sort of price range it's going to sit at for a while. I've yet to see a new iMac owner say they've gone for 2.5GB.
OWC had the 2 GB for $400 (yeah, that's right, one third of Apple's price). Now their offer is gone. I would say watch their site, 2 GB modules may reappear (in the near future, hopefully).

dazzla  (op)
Senior User
Oct 27, 2005, 10:15 AM

Yeah, if it drops to around $300-400 I'll pick one up, I was never going to buy a stick from Apple. The £650 quoted was from Crucial and I'm not paying that.

I'll guess I'll grab the 1GB stick for now and hope Aperture is usable on it...

Timan
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 11:03 AM

ChiefValue has 2gb (1stick) for 250$

http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/produc...tem=20-227-048

Shame its out of stock at the time.
- Tim

neps
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 11:15 AM

at OWC, is their brand good enough, or do you need the Samsung or other Third Party better?

cindyding0412
Baninated
Oct 27, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by neps
at OWC, is their brand good enough, or do you need the Samsung or other Third Party better?
Good suggestion!

I myself ever did this...

robo74
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2005, 03:14 PM

Since 1999, I have never used anything other then OWC RAM. I have never had a issue with any of them.

Rob

2stepbay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 08:30 PM

The only thing still niggling at me before I pick up the 20" iMac is the fact that it's basically a 1.5GB maximum seeing as a 2GB DDR2 stick is prohibitively expensive (£650, $1200). I do plan on using the machine for Aperture as well which is what's causing me to stop and think about picking up a Powermac instead. I suppose I could grab a 1GB stick then switch it out for a 2GB stick when they're cheaper and more available.

From Mac Ram Direct: http://macramdirect.com/imac.html

we shipped our last 2GB today and cannot get more right now. Very tight supply on those and it doesn't surprize me too much. We're really trying to get the price down within reason but now I'm afraid we'll be having to get them from our #2 supplier and they'll be much higher prices (Again!).. I'm sorry!

I have purchased my RAM chips from this company for 6 years. Never have had a problem. Great customer service. He says by mid-Nov, prices on the 2 gb chips will come down. Just in time for the delivery of my new 20" iMac.

2stepbay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2005, 08:30 PM

From Mac Ram Direct: http://macramdirect.com/imac.html

we shipped our last 2GB today and cannot get more right now. Very tight supply on those and it doesn't surprize me too much. We're really trying to get the price down within reason but now I'm afraid we'll be having to get them from our #2 supplier and they'll be much higher prices (Again!).. I'm sorry!

I have purchased my RAM chips from this company for 6 years. Never have had a problem. Great customer service. He says by mid-Nov, prices on the 2 gb chips will come down. Just in time for the delivery of my new 20" iMac.

applesnapple
Nov 2, 2005, 03:17 AM

I am buying my first apple, a 20" imac G5, and I was wondering, would adding 2gb ram instead of 1gb make a huge different? In what tasks would I be able to notice these differences? Thanks

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by applesnapple
I am buying my first apple, a 20" imac G5, and I was wondering, would adding 2gb ram instead of 1gb make a huge different? In what tasks would I be able to notice these differences? Thanks

I have the Gen-2 20 inch iMac with 2 gigs of ram. The extra ram makes everything faster but is especially helpful when editing vidio, audio and running multiple programs. I frequently surf the web, use photoshop and InDesign at once. The extra Ram keeps me from having to wait for the spinning beachball too long. Regards,

PeteWK

quiklee
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 02:52 PM

$1200 for 2.0GB Ram is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Just by aftermarket/3rd party stuff . . . you'll be good to go!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
$1200 for 2.0GB Ram is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Just buy aftermarket/3rd party stuff . . . you'll be good to go!
I spoke to Steve Bates at GigaRam today (November 2nd) and they are finishing their 2 gig memory packages today for anyone interested at a sub $400 price. Just tell him you heard about it here at MacNN.
He may even give a further price break to us as a forum.

[email protected]

or

949.461.9999 ext 219

They will ship out to you ASAP

dazzla  (op)
Senior User
Nov 2, 2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
$1200 for 2.0GB Ram is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Just by aftermarket/3rd party stuff . . . you'll be good to go!
That's the thing, aftermarket RAM in the UK is still expensive. Crucial are charging £650 which is $1150. That's why I ask the question. Clearly the difference here between the US and the UK is a hell of a lot more. Anything below $600 is a veritable bargain for us from the UK.

Clearly my best chance is buying a stick from the US and getting it shipped here.

V
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 02:40 PM

I think I will go for 512 MB or 1 gig since I don't edit video or photo files.

Do more RAM make a difference for games?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2005, 04:04 PM

I think it's unfortunate that Apple chose to solder in the 512MB, limiting the user to only 1 slot. I think they had it right the first time around with 2 slots.
( Last edited by mduell; Nov 3, 2005 at 04:14 PM. )

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 3, 2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
I think it's unfortunate that Apple chose to solder in the 512MB, limiting the user to only 1 slot. I think they had it right the first time around with 2 slots.
a year or so down the road when 4gb sticks arrive. There is a planned obsolescence in these machines since the processor can't be changed, so memory addressing and processing power runs hand in hand in a way.

I chuckle when I look at my 2001 G3 iMacDVSE running Panther and the occasional choke and beachball.

A lot changes in 4 years. A lot changes in 4 months. Wow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules