Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Security update 2007-004 and Quicktime update released

Security update 2007-004 and Quicktime update released
allblue
Forum Regular
May 1, 2007, 07:06 PM

So it took Apple about ten days to fix the QuickTime vulnerability exposed in the 'Hack a Mac' contest, which seems fair enough. I'll be able to turn Java back on in Safari when it's done!
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Peabo
Senior User
May 1, 2007, 07:27 PM

but they still didn't fix the bug that says my Mac Pro's processor is 'Unknown' ...
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2007, 08:48 PM

I upgraded both items from Software update this afternoon.

Now about half the websites I visit, including this one, have a big blue 'Q' with a questions mark (?) in the middle.

What happened?

Thanks,
Doug

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 09:14 PM

In the middle? I sort of doubt that. It sounds a little like QuickTime is trying to handle Falsh content. Go to System Preferences->QuickTime->Advanced->Mime-Settings and click the Default button. Then restart your web browser and see whether that fixes the problem.

Also repair permissions two times.

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2007, 11:45 PM

On a Whim I went to ~/Library/Preferences and deleted the QT preference and QT plug-in plist. Things returned to normal.

I then went to System Preferences/Quicktime and rechecked all the possible mime setting. The big blue 'Q' (?) returned. Deleted the QT preferenct and QT plug-in plist and things returned to normal.

Will leave the mime setting at the default and not mess with them for the time being.

Doug

Curiosity
Senior User
May 2, 2007, 12:54 AM

From what page does one download the new Quicktime version? I keep getting sent in circles when I try to get to the download.

allblue  (op)
Forum Regular
May 2, 2007, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
From what page does one download the new Quicktime version? I keep getting sent in circles when I try to get to the download.
Software update?
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 12:44 PM

silly rant… the PPC downloaded disk image has the same name < SecUpd2007-004Ti.dmg > than the previous Security Update… I use to archive all them finding this kinda annoying… :-/

MartiNZ
Senior User
May 2, 2007, 09:38 PM

They still didn't give minimised QuickTime windows icon badges, and I don't imagine they made it save the position of the export progress window, but I haven't tried for that.

Mind you it took 9 OS point point updates to fix the repeatable crash of the iTunes dashboard widget, so I'll give it a while .

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
May 3, 2007, 10:05 AM

This update broke Quicktime in Vista for me...including iTunes
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Forum Links
Forum Rules