Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Next iMacs to get redesigned?

Next iMacs to get redesigned? (Page 6)
idyll
Senior User
Jun 11, 2007, 05:45 PM

wow, no updates. so i predict a new imac around x-mas time, which sucks

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by idyll View Post
wow, no updates. so i predict a new imac around x-mas time, which sucks
This a definite? I was kinda hoping the rumour of a smaller sceen would be great for iMac!?

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2007, 08:59 PM

There's still hope that they're just trying to stagger updates rather than lump them all into the WWDC. They did the MacBooks a few weeks ago, then the MacBook Pros last week. Who knows, the iMacs could be next - in time for school perhaps?

To be honest, I was relieved that the ThinkSecret brushed metal iMac prediction hasn't come true. I hope it won't.

idyll
Senior User
Jun 11, 2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by kenna View Post
This a definite? I was kinda hoping the rumour of a smaller sceen would be great for iMac!?
if anything they're going to get rid of the 17" iMac

Paco Loco
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 04:46 AM

ThinkSecret are still saying that a new iMac is coming in the very near future.

I think they are right - it is long overdue.

I REALLY hope it is has a metal finish

P
Jun 12, 2007, 07:08 AM

I REALLY hope it doesn't. In general, I REALLY hope that TS is as high as they usually are about the iMac rumors, because there isn't a thing I like about making Macs more expensive and more generic in appearance.

New styling does seem likely now, though, with the new interface in Tiger.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 08:57 AM

1. Does anyone think that the Imac will be updated before Leopard. Myself, I am starting to think as long as IMac Sales are good that Apple will do nothing. I also believe that Iphone will, in small way, drive sales. Then comes Leopard hype, and people who have older computers may upgrade, IMac being updated or not, to use some of the cool new stuff in leopard.

2. let's say that some will believe that #1 is total horse hockey. How do you believe the IPhone will play into Apple thinking when it comes to putting forward a redesigned/updated Imac.

3. Now lets say that some might think that #1&2 are like swiss cheese, full of holes. Then lets just ask why do you think is waiting so long to update, with the IMac being the meat & potatoes of it's consumer market.

Note: I don't know why this is such a question to me. I think it is more about the logic of why, then the fact that at one time I needed one.
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 09:17 AM

I just hope it's soon. I'm pretty disappointed it wasn't yesterday (though I'm still hoping it's not brushed aluminum). I'm in the market for a new desktop -- have been since January, when I was sorely disappointed there weren't any announced. Then I though, April! Nothing. So I'm still waiting. Yes, I know I could just buy whatever, but I've waited this long, and I'll wait some more. But it's pretty aggravating.

And actually, if Apple came up with a lower-end tower, I'd probably go for that instead. At the moment, though, I'm thinking an imac will do nicely.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ESavage View Post
1. Does anyone think that the Imac will be updated before Leopard.
It cannot be otherwise. Leopard is expected no sooner than October. Last iMac update was in September 2006. Apple never left more than one year between two updates, with perhaps some exceptions I forget now.

However, the current iMacs are already 9 months old while there is hardware available to update them, which is unusual these days to say the least. So, I am inclined to believe what TS says (iMac updates anytime now) but if this happens silently it will most certainly keep the current design.

P
Jun 12, 2007, 10:28 AM

I think that Apple will update the iMac before the back-to-school season - if nothing else because it's using an 18 month old GPU.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 10:45 AM

I am quite surprised that we still don't see new iMacs. The updated hardware has been available for quite some time now, and in fact the MacBook Pro already utilizes that updated hardware.

But yeah, it should by August or at the latest early Sept. To delay it would mean they would lose some back-to-school sales. They've delayed things before to October or November though so I wouldn't put it past them.

All I can say is I'm glad I bought my 24" iMac back in September of last year. Despite my iMac being 40 weeks old, I still have the top of the line iMac. That's a full human gestational period. (The average iMac gestational period is 24 weeks, or less than 6 months.)

kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2007, 11:33 AM

I really do hope we see an iMac update come september, i would really be disappointed if i had to wait longer than october for an updated iMac to be released. The iMac is good to me at the minute, but if anything, i dislike the bulk at the bottom underneath the screen. And for someone like me who would really struggle to afford a 24" and would opt for the 20" (with a lot of personalised updates, i.e. 500GB hard drive, 2GB ram, wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, 256 vRAM and a piece of software) where the bulk shows even more I would be disappointed to have to wait even longer for my purchase or ultimately buy the iMac that is available now.

Is it not possible for Apple to show the iMac update later this week?

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2007, 12:14 PM

I doubt Apple would announce two big product releases in one event. The iPhone is clearly center stage for the next few months. If there was an iMac announcement at WWDC, it would likely be speed bumps and enhancements, but no big design change for now.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
All I can say is I'm glad I bought my 24" iMac back in September of last year. Despite my iMac being 40 weeks old, I still have the top of the line iMac. That's a full human gestational period. (The average iMac gestational period is 24 weeks, or less than 6 months.)

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 02:30 PM

September seems most likely now. I was sure it would come this week. But the next event won't be until September. I just hope when it does come it will indeed be redesigned and not just some silly update to the processor and such. I want a new design.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2007, 03:28 PM

Heh. A friend of mine who knew nothing about Macs, went ahead and bought one... in May. Had he called me, I would have told him to wait for WWDC.

I'm glad he didn't call me. Sometimes it pays for Mac n00bs not to ask people who hang around here.

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 06:36 PM

I have no inside information, but I do think we'll see updated iMacs in the next week or two.

1) The likely chipset is already being used my the MacBook Pro as Eug said.
2) They're way overdue.
3) What the frak are they waiting for?

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Heh. A friend of mine who knew nothing about Macs, went ahead and bought one... in May. Had he called me, I would have told him to wait for WWDC.

I'm glad he didn't call me. Sometimes it pays for Mac n00bs not to ask people who hang around here.
The only thing I can say, without going way off topic is, "Right on"
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 12:10 PM

Experiencing Safari beta difficulties.

Please stand by.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Flagheimer
Jun 17, 2007, 01:03 AM

I'm not familiar with Apple's Keynotes... are there any other big conferences left this year? Or was the WWDC 07 the last big meeting?

Just wondering if there was another conference of some sort in which you would all assume the next (possible) iMacs would be revealed...

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Flagheimer View Post
I'm not familiar with Apple's Keynotes... are there any other big conferences left this year? Or was the WWDC 07 the last big meeting?

Just wondering if there was another conference of some sort in which you would all assume the next (possible) iMacs would be revealed...
There is Apple Expo at Paris in September. In this event the iMac G5 was introduced, but this was the result of delay from IBM in the production of the "low power" G5's used in those iMacs.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2007, 12:33 PM

If Apple redesigns the iMac, I hope Apple considers permitting 3rd party graphics cards. (The Cude did, and it was far smaller.) The 20" and 24" are large enough that adding a 3rd-party card is within plausibility. It would go a long way to helping Apple's image as gamer-friendly.

Apple could sell the iMac with an integrated Intel chip for graphics, but have an empty slot to install a serious graphics card.

BTW, I expect iMac and Mac mini updates before the end of the summer.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
If Apple redesigns the iMac, I hope Apple considers permitting 3rd party graphics cards. (The Cude did, and it was far smaller.) The 20" and 24" are large enough that adding a 3rd-party card is within plausibility. It would go a long way to helping Apple's image as gamer-friendly.
Just think how many graphics cards are there for the Macintosh in the market to get a feel of what is the probability to see of a GPU-upgradeable iMac.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2007, 04:36 PM

Appleinsider is out with the latest iMac Rumor
link

Apple hopes to unveil the new systems sometime between the latter half of July and mid-August -- a timeframe well suited to garner sales from higher-education individuals and back-to-school shoppers in general. Those same people add that the Cupertino-based Mac maker may also have a few smaller surprises in store for fans of its Mac line around the same time.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 06:07 PM

Appleinsider is out with the latest iMac Rumor
link
I'll be hoping for that, I want my new iMac soon
Signature depreciated.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 06:23 AM

My wild stab in the dark is that the new iMac will reflect iPhone styling, in the same way the current one was designed to look like a big iPod. Therefore they're waiting until the iPhone is out before releasing it.

P
Jun 19, 2007, 09:55 AM

There is a limit to what Apple's logistics system can handle, what their QA can handle, what their tech support can handle, etc. Right now they're gearing up to launch the iPhone with a splash - that's probably all they can handle at the moment.

APPLEFAN08
Jun 19, 2007, 11:46 AM

Hopefully the new iMacs will look sweet! I'm still waiting to get one in august but when they arrive I'm getting a new one! I'm probably gonna get the 20" depending on the prices is becuase I'm only aloud to spend 1600 my parents said but I'll wait to see what the prices are like then make my decision.It was perfect timing I wanted to get an iMac by September before school starts but didn't want to get an old one if they were coming out with a new one. Now my questions are answered!

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 11:59 AM

Apple has always been very conscious of the school calendar. After letting them lapse so long, I really don't see them letting the next semester start without introducing new iMacs.

I think the new Late July/August rumor makes sense.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2007, 01:39 PM

I just don't see the iMac going aluminum, that's what separates them from the Pro line. If anything, it will be offered in black, like the iPod and MacBook. And the footprint is the smallest yet for an iMac, I don't see them taking up more desktop space by going back to the base, it makes more sense to have a thinner iMac, so it looks just like a flat panel monitor and nothing more.

studgrade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2007, 01:51 PM

I'm also waiting for an upgrade before buying. All those rumor sites have put in my head that there will be a black iMac....That would be sweet.... But if it doesn't come, I'll buy whatever is offered.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2007, 10:11 AM

Hope it comes soon. I need to upgrade but have put it off for months waiting for the new system.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
Just think how many graphics cards are there for the Macintosh in the market to get a feel of what is the probability to see of a GPU-upgradeable iMac.
Actually, it seems any PCI-e card works well in a Mac Pro, if you boot into Windows. Ergo, it's merely a driver issue.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by talisker View Post
My wild stab in the dark is that the new iMac will reflect iPhone styling ...
Damn, I hope so.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Actually, it seems any PCI-e card works well in a Mac Pro, if you boot into Windows. Ergo, it's merely a driver issue.
The real issue is the firmware on the card; you need one that works with EFI.
IIRC the COTS cards work once you're in OSX, if you have an Apple video card to boot with.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 04:06 PM

10.4.10 supports new iMacs?
in 10.4.10 a few new Displays has been added under
/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-610

More specifically 14 of them, where 4 are really interesting:

And these 4 are:
DisplayProductID-9c6a
DisplayProductID-9c6b
DisplayProductID-9c6c
DisplayProductID-9c71

which all are for iMacs, excerpts from the files:

9c6a:

<key>DisplayProductID</key>
<integer>40042</integer>
<key>DisplayProductName</key>
<string>iMac</string>

9c6b:

<integer>40043</integer>
<string>iMac</string>

9c6c:
<integer>40044</integer>
<string>iMac</string>

and lastly 9c71:

<integer>40049</integer>
<string>iMac</string>

These files/displaydefinitions are NOT present on a 10.4.9 system!

Could mean new iMacs on the way, or could mean apple are just changing panels in the iMacs...
If this is truly a new iMac (and not just a new panel), that would be good. No need for admins to be forced to use Leopard for new iMac purchases until they're ready to.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2007, 09:12 PM

Since there are 4 that deal with the iMac could this mean that the 17 inch could still be in play. Also since 4 is the magic number could this mean that a 24 inch+ could be in the works?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2007, 09:28 AM

Also since 4 is the magic number could this mean that a 24 inch+ could be in the works?
For the moment I son't see anything bigger than 26" or 27" and probably with the same resolution as the 24" model.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2007, 03:10 PM

I liked the design of the iMac G4, it was nice and looked amazing. Surely if its all laptop component and the Intel processors are much cooler than the G4s and G5s, now there's no excuse. Bring back the old iMacs!

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by talisker View Post
My wild stab in the dark is that the new iMac will reflect iPhone styling, in the same way the current one was designed to look like a big iPod. Therefore they're waiting until the iPhone is out before releasing it.
That would be beautiful!
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2007, 09:17 PM

Hmmm... Coverflow makes that woman on the left look like she's wearing just pasties.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac View Post
That would be beautiful!
I don't like that at all, I hope they don't go that route.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jgcan View Post
I don't like that at all, I hope they don't go that route.
Maybe not exactly like the iPhone, but a nice combination of chrome and shiny black would be a nice dynamic change from the white we're all used to. I think we can expect the newer iPods to follow the iPhone design so I'd guess the iMacs would too.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Dazed
Jun 26, 2007, 06:15 PM

I like the current look so don't care if any redesign isnt a radical change.

Just give me faster CPU, better GPU, less chin and the ability to plug another computer or games console into it.

Thats all I ask

P
Jun 27, 2007, 10:31 AM

It just seems like black and chrome is what everything else is looking like right now. Noone but Apple uses white.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 12:42 PM

Not chrome and black, but aluminum and black would look cool.

rach
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 10:29 PM

Back to what i wrote in late March about the PC World "scoop" on page 2 you could say that i discounted what i was told a long time ago now. I doubt i will be so believing next time when somebody tells me something about a suppsosed release.

Anyway, i think it is pretty bad that Apple have not brought out a updated iMac yet. It is also bad that the MacBooks are not using the SR chip and intel's latest graphics. The Mac Mini has been cast of it looks like and they have failed to meet the needs of their customers who demand a pro ultraportable. None of this is good at all.

Despite all this though in terms of their notebook sales they are doing better than ever so i doubt that they are to concerned about anything. I think that there does need to be a bit of a shake up though. I am beginning to think that they are spending to much time on things that are not as important in my opinion.
( Last edited by rach; Jun 28, 2007 at 10:37 PM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2007, 06:43 PM

ThinkSecret: Next-generation iMac tracking for August

Apple's next iMac revision is currently tracking for release in August, sources say. The iMac, which will be based on similar internals as the recent MacBook Pro revision, will sport a brushed aluminum enclosure and will measure just two inches thick.

The elegant new enclosure will somewhat resemble the current white iMac but is said to feature a shorter space below the actual display, where most of the internals are housed.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 07:19 PM

Waiting off until Christmas is suicide for the iMac, I would assume it would be targeted before school starts... i.e. August/September for most institutions. Also, its been ages since they've even significantly touched the mac mini... so perhaps a very low end iMac to fill in that spot as well as a high end to match up to the Mac Pro selling point, either that or a new iMac Consumer Tower.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 9, 2007, 01:48 PM

AI: Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

The new all-in-one signature desktops, expected to be available only in 20- and 24-inch configurations, have been described as both slimmer and sleeker than the 17-, 20- and 24-inch models they will replace.

The streamlining, however, won't stop with the iMac enclosure. Each new model will come dressed to impress, bundling a snazzy new Apple keyboard of similarly slender proportions, people familiar with the project say.

Tapping the wizardry of industrial design chief Jonathan Ive and his team, the Cupertino-based Mac maker has reportedly crafted a super-slim external keyboard for the new Macs. It's said to draw upon the aesthetic and feel of the low-profile keyboard which was first integrated with the company's 13-inch MacBook portables in May of 2006.

Forum Links
Forum Rules