Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > keyboard malfunction

keyboard malfunction
earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2007, 03:19 AM

My refresh button, and when I want to copy and paste links, and sometimes the shift button on my keyboard doesn't work. I don't know what is wrong.

Cold Warrior
Nov 25, 2007, 11:28 AM

third party keyboard or an apple one? Which version, what model Mac, what OS version?

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
third party keyboard or an apple one? Which version, what model Mac, what OS version?

I think I just needed to restart the laptop because now the functions (ie refresh, capitalize, etc) on the pb is now working.

iampivot
Nov 25, 2007, 11:30 PM

Is our problem similar to those described in this long thread?

Apple - Support - Discussions - ELP! - first letter always missing! ...

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2007, 06:21 PM

no.

It is acting up again where I cannot refresh with -command- 'r' nor copy and paste again.

fjp999
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2007, 04:07 PM

I often have this happen on the first letter in a new field. It is especially frustrating when it happens in a password field because all you see are ******* and if you miss the first letter you get an Error message due to wrong password.

And my "N" key will not respond about 90% of the time! So that common word "and" almost always comes out "an". Very frustrating!

It is a known bug with Apple: Bug ID# 4333743

and 35 pages can be found here: Apple - Support - Discussions - ELP! - first letter always missing! ...

everyone is filling out bug reports here: Apple - MacBook Pro - Feedback

later,
frank

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2007, 08:19 PM

Do you think I could go out and buy an external keyboard and I could use that for now until I get my keyboard on my pb working/

24klogos
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2007, 07:16 PM

i dont have a problem with my bluetooth keyboard (apple). but once in a while my MBPs keyboard bugs out, and i have to restart... this is ridiculous after paying top dollar for this machine - i know i know, they're working on it - but honestly 10.5 is bringing me more headaches than productivity... is it the new Vista? i don't think so, but c'mon, i pay my billz with this thing, it should just "work" as they claim.

ziggystardust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 08:42 PM

I think it's time for a class-action lawsuit over this issue !!

Who's with me?

-Z-

webextech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2007, 09:02 PM

I had this same issue after I upgraded my macbook pro to leopard. My "M" key was unresponsive at times and my windows would be minimized after a few seconds. I thought it was a stuck command key that was causing the windows to be minimized. I went back to the apple store and the workers there were clueless as to what I was talking about. To make a long story short, I showed them the problem and the apple genius said it was a known issue with leopard and they told me it'd be fixed in the next patch and I should go on my merry way. I asked for written proof that it's a bug but they couldn't provide me with one. I asked that they exchange my mbp and they did. I haven't loaded leopard and all is well.

earthlings  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2007, 06:16 PM

I got this pb back in '03 sometime and in January of this year I got the kernal panic virus or whatever it is. I took it to the Apple store, they took my $500 or so dollars, they put in a new HD or I don't know what, and everything was gone off of this laptop when I brought it home. Before I took it to the Apple place it was could start every other startup with the kernal panic, so if I would of known, I would of backed up everything onto an external Hd. I should of saved my $500 and bought a new macbook/pro.
Now, this past month, now my keyboard has been goofy on and off.

iota2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 01:22 AM

Does anyone of you know what happened to

ELP! - first letter always missing!

forum thread at Apple-Support-Discussion?

Forum Links
Forum Rules