Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Verizon iPhone 4

Verizon iPhone 4
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2010, 04:08 PM

The iPhone is going to be available for Verizon in January 2011.
AHHHHHH, i just locked my self into a new 2 year subscription with AT&T on Friday.

Now i'm stuck. What are the penalties to get out?
I hate AT&T. Great move, but couldn't this have been leaked 1 week earlier?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 29, 2010, 04:10 PM

Oh hey, another unofficial official thread!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 04:17 PM

Just wait until the iphone on verizon is sold with unlimited data, then you will really be pissed off. I foresee thousands of users paying early termination fees to get off ATT limited plans to get onto Verizon unlimited plans.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2010, 04:24 PM

what is the early termination fee i would have to pay?

Rumors of a Verizon-compatible CDMA iPhone resurfaced again Tuesday, when Bloomberg reported it has been told the handset will arrive in January of 2011.

Citing two people "familiar with the plans," author Amy Thomson wrote that the largest wireless provider in the U.S. will start selling the iPhone in 2011, marking the end of exclusivity for AT&T.

"The device will be available to customers in January, according to the people, who declined to be named because the information isn't public," the report said.

The last mainstream media report on a Verizon iPhone came back in March, when The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple was working on two new phones -- one assumed to be the just-released iPhone 4, while the other was said to be a CDMA iPhone compatible with the Verizon network. That report said such phones were not scheduled to go into mass production until September, and it was "unclear" when the model would become available for sale.

Since its release in 2007, the iPhone has only been available in models compatible with UMTS-GSM networks. In the U.S., only AT&T and T-Mobile operate such networks, and AT&T has been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone stateside since it was first announced.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
The iPhone is going to be available for Verizon in January 2011.
AHHHHHH, i just locked my self into a new 2 year subscription with AT&T on Friday.

Now i'm stuck. What are the penalties to get out?
I hate AT&T. Great move, but couldn't this have been leaked 1 week earlier?
Yeah, it's not coming out in January. Just another unsubstantiated rumor.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yeah, it's not coming out in January. Just another unsubstantiated rumor.
Whenever it does come out the release will be ugly. If it is announced/leaked in January then many people will stop buying ATT iphones. If it is dropped out of the blue, people like the OP will be upset that they just got locked into a provider they don't like.

I've been with cingular/att for 8 years, but I would wait 6 months to upgrade from the original iphone to the iphone 4 if it comes out on verizon in january. In the meantime I still call every local apple store seeing if they got any new shipments though

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2010, 05:33 PM

The iPhone has been rumored to be coming to Verizon since BEFORE the first iPhone was available. I'll believe it when I see it.

Besides, isn't Verizon upgrading to some different technology in a few years that would be easier to add the iPhone into rather than CDMA?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
The iPhone has been rumored to be coming to Verizon since BEFORE the first iPhone was available. I'll believe it when I see it.

Besides, isn't Verizon upgrading to some different technology in a few years that would be easier to add the iPhone into rather than CDMA?
That's what they say, but Verizon hasn't put a single tower up yet. Not sure how they plan to have their LTE network up and running in 2011 when they don't even have EVDO Rev-A up across their entire network.

And I highly doubt Apple will release a CDMA iPhone. There would be feature disparity between the AT&T and Verizon phones and I don't think Apple would segment the market like that. But once each carrier could have the same features on the iPhone I could see it happening.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2010, 09:32 PM

Possibly dumb question: I thought Apple had ads that you can't be on the phone and receive data at the same time with Verizon. Has that changed?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2010, 10:14 PM

No, AFAIK, that limitation of 3G CDMA networks still exists.

-t

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2010, 10:14 PM

No it hasn't changed.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 10:18 PM

They're not going to release a 3G CDMA iPhone next year. Verizon is lighting up their 4G LTE network this year.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
what is the early termination fee i would have to pay?
$350. Not sure why you'd pay extra to simply change to a service that is perceived to be better.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 02:40 AM

I'm scared/excited to see how many iPhones will be out there if/when Apple can get the iPhone on all of the major networks (AT&T, VZW, T-Mo, and Sprint).

Although, I'm not sure if opening it up to the other networks is going to make the lines better or worse on launches.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
They're not going to release a 3G CDMA iPhone next year. Verizon is lighting up their 4G LTE network this year.
Won't the iPhone still need CDMA for fall-back network purposes?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
$350. Not sure why you'd pay extra to simply change to a service that is perceived to be better.
Aside from service issues, which are real not perceived, there are still other reasons. For example my entire family is on a verizon family plan without me and being on verizon would mean getting to call all of them, and most of my friends, for free. Instead, because I am on the iphone/ATT I have to pay for more minutes. If I switched to Verizon in 6 months from now the ETF would go down and so would my phone bill.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Phone calls aren't even made over LTE, it's set up as data-only by VZW.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Aside from service issues, which are real not perceived, there are still other reasons. For example my entire family is on a verizon family plan without me and being on verizon would mean getting to call all of them, and most of my friends, for free. Instead, because I am on the iphone/ATT I have to pay for more minutes. If I switched to Verizon in 6 months from now the ETF would go down and so would my phone bill.
I'm on Verizon too, but I drop calls probably as often as most iPhone owners. I also know iPhone owners who haven't dropped any calls. Although I was specifically referring to the iPhone 4's antennae "issues." I think it's a case of where it's really only affecting a few people, but since many can reproduce it by holding the phone like they never actually do, they feel outraged.

Don't forget, the Verizon data plans are more expensive that AT&T's, so baseline, you'd be paying $5 more a month. I'm not saying the iPhone on Verizon is a bad thing at all (I'd rather have Verizon than AT&T), but I also think that the iPhone and iPhone users use so much data that it's going to negatively impact whatever network it's on.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 10:27 AM

Last thing I read is that they haven't even put up a single LTE tower yet - do you know different? If it's true, there is no way their network is going up next year. Maybe in just a city or two like Sprint's, but definitely not enough coverage for Apple to have an LTE-only phone.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yes. Just like we say a phone is "3G" but it has fallback to various levels of 2G.

Phone calls aren't even made over LTE, it's set up as data-only by VZW.
It's an all IP network, voice calls would be over data channels.

Last thing I read is that they haven't even put up a single LTE tower yet - do you know different? If it's true, there is no way their network is going up next year. Maybe in just a city or two like Sprint's, but definitely not enough coverage for Apple to have an LTE-only phone.
Perhaps you're thinking of AT&T's cluster[censored]?
Verizon has had 2 LTE trials (Boston and Seattle) running since last year and completed technical trials last week. Now they're moving into friendly user trials in 5 cities and they're scheduled to have 30 markets lit up for the public by year end.
Nobody said LTE only.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 12:51 PM

I swear I thought Verizon said that calls would still be over CDMA...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 01:19 PM

Yes. Just like we say a phone is "3G" but it has fallback to various levels of 2G.

Verizon has had 2 LTE trials (Boston and Seattle) running since last year and completed technical trials last week. Now they're moving into friendly user trials in 5 cities and they're scheduled to have 30 markets lit up for the public by year end.
Nobody said LTE only.
Ah, thanks for clarifying.

However, if Apple is waiting for LTE to create a Verizon phone, wouldn't they need an all-LTE network to give them the features they desire? If the Verizon phone has to drop features when it moves to another tower I'm not sure Apple would go for it. Just seems very anti-Apple.

-Q-
Jun 30, 2010, 01:25 PM

However, if Apple is waiting for LTE to create a Verizon phone, wouldn't they need an all-LTE network to give them the features they desire? If the Verizon phone has to drop features when it moves to another tower I'm not sure Apple would go for it. Just seems very anti-Apple.
So does completely missing the issue with holding the phone a certain way interfering with reception.

Seriously, it doesn't make sense from their usual "we'll release it when we get it right" mindset for product development, but perhaps the decision to release a CDMA phone is more of a business decision than a product one? They are seeing increased competition from Android-based phones (available on all four US carriers) and are likely losing out on potential sales to Verizon customers with the headstart Droid has. They've not been ones to typically rush a product to market, but they may be doing so in this case just to "hold off" on some of the inroads Droid is making.

I'm not a cell phone pundit, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
So does completely missing the issue with holding the phone a certain way interfering with reception.

Seriously, it doesn't make sense from their usual "we'll release it when we get it right" mindset for product development, but perhaps the decision to release a CDMA phone is more of a business decision than a product one? They are seeing increased competition from Android-based phones (available on all four US carriers) and are likely losing out on potential sales to Verizon customers with the headstart Droid has. They've not been ones to typically rush a product to market, but they may be doing so in this case just to "hold off" on some of the inroads Droid is making.

I'm not a cell phone pundit, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
It's not about rushing to market, it's about segmenting your product offering. As soon as a Verizon phone is released Apple will either have to dumb down the AT&T phone to achieve feature parity (highly unlikely), or they'll have to advertise different features on a per carrier basis. It will also introduce confusion in the marketplace, as people will wonder why their friends' iPhones can do certain things while their can't.

-Q-
Jun 30, 2010, 01:51 PM

But if they position this as an LTE phone that is subject to the CDMA limitations in certain markets, it becomes an *asterisk feature rather than a per carrier targeted campaign. A shady distinction, but They're already seeing some of that 'your iPhone can do something mine can't' with the 3G/iOS4 feature split. To be fair, the 3G is obviously not sold any longer but it's semi-compatibility with iOS4 certainly has to lead to some confusion in the marketplace as well, especially for those consumers that took advantage of the $99 3G deal when AT&T was offering it as an entry level iPhone.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 02:21 PM

But if they position this as an LTE phone that is subject to the CDMA limitations in certain markets, it becomes an *asterisk feature rather than a per carrier targeted campaign. A shady distinction, but They're already seeing some of that 'your iPhone can do something mine can't' with the 3G/iOS4 feature split. To be fair, the 3G is obviously not sold any longer but it's semi-compatibility with iOS4 certainly has to lead to some confusion in the marketplace as well, especially for those consumers that took advantage of the $99 3G deal when AT&T was offering it as an entry level iPhone.
The difference is that this would lead to feature disparity between models available for sale new at the time. Most people know that as their devices get older newer features won't be supported. But to have two phones currently on the market that could not do the same thing would be very frustrating for both Apple and users.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2010, 03:16 PM

The difference is that this would lead to feature disparity between models available for sale new at the time.
Eh, there’s feature disparity between iPad models.

I’m inclined to believe that if they do release a Verizon iPhone before next summer, it’ll have at least one thing to differentiate it from a previously-released model. Like FaceTime without Wi-Fi.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2010, 03:20 PM

Can you clarify here what features on an iPhone would not be available if it was on CDMA instead of GSM? I already know that you cannot use
the phone service and Data network at the same time, what else?

-Q-
Jun 30, 2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by anthology123 View Post
Can you clarify here what features on an iPhone would not be available if it was on CDMA instead of GSM? I already know that you cannot use
the phone service and Data network at the same time, what else?
I think that one large limitation would lead to some user confusion about Apple's multitasking features they're touting with iOS4. For example, if you were following directions on the map app or a GPS app, that app wouldn't update in the background if you had to take a call. On AT&T, they would. It would also kind of neuter the marketing stance they took in opposition of the Verizon/Droid ads that were taking shots at AT&T's coverage.

Although I still think, if Apple is truly releasing the iPhone on Verizon next year, they'll position it as a 4G phone (4G network, not 4th gen) and provide some caveats about CDMA limitations that can occur in markets that don't have LTE towers.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 04:05 PM

I think that one large limitation would lead to some user confusion about Apple's multitasking features they're touting with iOS4. For example, if you were following directions on the map app or a GPS app, that app wouldn't update in the background if you had to take a call. On AT&T, they would. It would also kind of neuter the marketing stance they took in opposition of the Verizon/Droid ads that were taking shots at AT&T's coverage.

Although I still think, if Apple is truly releasing the iPhone on Verizon next year, they'll position it as a 4G phone (4G network, not 4th gen) and provide some caveats about CDMA limitations that can occur in markets that don't have LTE towers.
I really doubt they're coming out with a Verizon phone. I'm guessing as soon as the AT&T exclusive window is up (whenever that happens to be) we'll see a T-Mobile iPhone, but not a Verizon one.

The CDMA market in China is huge, and if they aren't bringing out a CDMA iPhone there where there is no exclusivity agreement why would they bring one here?

-Q-
Jun 30, 2010, 04:21 PM

The CDMA market in China is huge, and if they aren't bringing out a CDMA iPhone there where there is no exclusivity agreement why would they bring one here?
That's an excellent point. I'm doubtful myself of a Verizon phone in January.

But introducing one in June of next year with the regular phone upgrade cycle, allowing for both AT&T and Verizon to get their LTE networks further along does make a lot more sense to me.

And a T-mobile phone also makes more sense, especially consider AT&T's "generous" offer to give upgrade pricing to anyone who's contract was expiring in 2010, to lock them into a new 2 year agreement right at the time a T-mobile phone was coming out.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 04:34 PM

I think we'll see T-Mobile before Verizon.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 07:24 PM

It's not about rushing to market, it's about segmenting your product offering. As soon as a Verizon phone is released Apple will either have to dumb down the AT&T phone to achieve feature parity (highly unlikely), or they'll have to advertise different features on a per carrier basis. It will also introduce confusion in the marketplace, as people will wonder why their friends' iPhones can do certain things while their can't.
Like tethering and MMS, whose availability varied (still does?) on a per carrier basis for a year?

Or implement SVDO.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2010, 08:01 PM

The fact that AT&T offered to let anyone upgrade if their contract expires in 2010 lends great credence to another carrier getting the iPhone in January 2011. Remember, AT&T knows when then exclusivity ends. We don't.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2010, 08:04 PM

Does AT&T know when exclusivity ends? I mean sure they know when their contract is up, but that doesn't mean the day their contract expires that Apple's gonna have other carriers lined up and ready to go.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2010, 12:59 AM

Can I be the first to refer to the iPhone on Verizon as the ViPhone?

You're welcome.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2010, 08:55 AM

Does AT&T know when exclusivity ends? I mean sure they know when their contract is up, but that doesn't mean the day their contract expires that Apple's gonna have other carriers lined up and ready to go.
True, but they also know that there is nothing preventing Apple from offering it on other carriers when their contract/exclusivity deal is up. Trust me, AT&T is not going to bank upon Apple keeping the iPhone on only AT&T out of the goodness of their heart.

And Apple knows when the contract is up as well. Do you honestly believe that Apple is not preparing an iPhone for other carriers for when that contract expires and that it won't be offered very soon after that contract is up?

Apple is missing out on a HUGE market by this exclusivity deal. There are only so many people who are willing to switch carriers just to get a specific phone. Apple is in the business of making money and if they can sell 12-20 million iPhones to NEW iPhone users by making it available on other carriers they sure as hell are going to do so the minute they legally can.

-Q-
Jul 1, 2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Can I be the first to refer to the iPhone on Verizon as the ViPhone?

You're welcome.
I think "VeriPhone" works better.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2010, 10:00 AM

Simple is better, people. vPhone.

-Q-
Jul 1, 2010, 10:13 AM

vPhone already exists as a product: vPhone - Free World wide Calls - Call for free with VOIP ! - Thevphone.com

Looks quality, too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2010, 10:17 AM

So did the iPhone (and iOS) but no one really gave a damn.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
So did the iPhone (and iOS) but no one really gave a damn.
Hey, as long as Apple's buying...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2010, 01:22 AM

I think "VeriPhone" works better.
Damn you, that does sound better.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2010, 09:36 PM

iPhone 4 ZON.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

danfisher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2010, 06:47 PM

i think folks who are counting on getting an iphone added to their "family plan" on verizon are forgetting about what it was like to be an AT&T customer when the iphone was introduced. there is no such thing as a cheap iphone plan and there won't be on Verizon should they ever get a shot.

I'm also in the camp that thinks the Verizon iPhone isn't happening anytime soon. i'm also one who feels their performance disparity versus AT&T are greatly overblown. i wouldn't switch carriers unless it was a much superior phone, or significantly cheaper service for an identical phone. neither are likely.
geek qualifications include:

MacBook Pro, 17", 2.53ghz i5, 4g RAM, 500g HD, Glossy HD Screen
MacBook Pro, 15", 2.16ghz, 1g RAM, 100g HD, Matte Screen
iPhone 4, Black, 32g, BestSkinsEver Total Body Skin

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2010, 07:32 PM

Update: Successful Verizon LTE data calls in 34 markets

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2010, 02:11 AM

Like tethering and MMS, whose availability varied (still does?) on a per carrier basis for a year?
Per-country is a huge difference. When those filthy socialists get tethering, it's much more abstract than when your best friend does.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2010, 06:13 AM

I think the feature disparity won't be a huge issue. Right now if a friend sends me a picture message, I say, "I didn't get it, email it to me" because I didn't upgrade my plan after Rogers added MMS to the iPhone, so my plan actually won't allow me to get MMS. That said it would cost $10 a month for picture messaging since I locked in at a great rate, so screw that.

If someone is using a verizon iPhone, and they're in maps when they get a call they can answer it, if they go back to maps and they hit the GPS function, if the map need to collect more data it'll tell them they need to hang up the phone. It's really not worth ignoring all those Verizon customers. Fact is Apple got locked into AT&T for a while, and they made a ton of money doing it, they also did this partly cause it made sense to make as many iPhones as possible and spread them around the world, they also probably got to punish Verizon who they originally offered the phone to. But the fact is Android is gaining ground partially because Apple is ignoring Verizon. That doesn't make good business sense.

Also I'm sure there is already a CDMA iPhone that's been in development since the first one, the large cash payouts AT&T gives Apple could easily fun that development all by itself. In fact Apple would have no way of wrangling AT&T into paying what they pay if they couldn't say, oh hey have you guys seen this iPhone we have running on Sprint?

smithjohnson159
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2010, 12:00 PM

Man I hope Apple will be smart and put the iPhone 4 on Verizon or Sprint or something just anything will be better than Att.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2010, 04:40 PM

Verizon wouldn't be, if they got the data traffic hammering that AT&T got.

Forum Links
Forum Rules