Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Will the new 4S have the same antennae issues?

Will the new 4S have the same antennae issues?
stevyo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2011, 01:06 AM

Will the new 4S have the same antennae issues as the 4? Or has it been fixed?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2011, 01:22 AM

It's been fixed

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 01:29 AM

Completely different antennae system that can actually switch between two different antennas on the fly. Theoretically, it shouldn't be capable of failing.

ibook_steve
Oct 6, 2011, 04:08 AM

There's no way in hell that Apple will ever let anything like Antennagate ever happen again.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by stevyo View Post
Will the new 4S have the same antennae issues as the 4?
Only if you're holding it wrong

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
it shouldn't be capable of failing.
Nice jinx.

stevyo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2011, 12:50 AM

Haha, as long as I don't have "Fat sweaty American hands" Unbelievable iPhone 4 tech support call recorded!! - YouTube

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 04:34 AM

You sound like Doofy.

He's been kinda quiet recently no?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You sound like Doofy.

He's been kinda quiet recently no?
Yep. He got fed up after the RR (Railroader) ban incident.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Oct 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 11:20 AM

RR ban? Reading Railroad?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 01:08 AM

Unfortunately, Walt Mossberg didn't have anything nice to say about the antenna:

"Apple claims to have improved voice-call reception in the iPhone 4S, allowing the phone to switch between two antennas to pick up the best signal. But my AT&T model dropped too many calls, just as earlier AT&T iPhones do. My colleague’s Verizon iPhone 4S dropped none."

iPhone 4S Review - Walt Mossberg - Personal Technology - AllThingsD

But Walt did have some nice things to say about Siri:

"It also answers in a friendly fashion, saying things like “Coming right up” or “I’m not sure what you said, Walt.” And it has some cute answers built in. When I asked it “What’s the best phone?” it said, “Wait… there are other phones?”"

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 01:18 AM

double post

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 01:28 AM

I read that review and it lacks science and rigor. For example, it qualifies the Verizon 4S as a world phone able to use GSM services outside its country of sale, but stops in purpose before saying that you will pay roaming charges in your monthly bill.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
I read that review and it lacks science and rigor. For example, it qualifies the Verizon 4S as a world phone able to use GSM services outside its country of sale, but stops in purpose before saying that you will pay roaming charges in your monthly bill.
Would you really have to pay roaming charges if you use a CDMA-contracted phone on a GSM network?

I thought you'd have to buy a GSM SIM card anyway, and if that comes with roaming charges, you're doing it wrong.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Oct 12, 2011 at 02:21 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Would you really have to pay roaming charges if you use a CDMA-contracted phone on a GSM network?

I thought you'd have to buy a GSM SIM card anyway, and if that comes with roaming charges, you're doing it wrong.
Haha, you clearly haven't had much experience with US cell phone providers if you think they wouldn't take advantage of every possible opportunity to wring you dry. Verizon will include a SIM card that will only take effect when you're in another country, at which you will get smacked with huge roaming charges. What's more, the phone will be locked to accept only the Verizon SIM so that you can't put a local GSM SIM card in, and you'll have to pay the huge roaming fees. That's the way it's always worked with the AT&T version.

Oddly enough, though, I've heard that the Sprint version actually is unlocked, which would be a first.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 03:28 AM

^ Is that speculation, or is this known?

If Verizon, a CDMA carrier, sells you a GSM SIM card with the explicit string that the phone is SIM-locked, even though the carrier doesn't offer GSM, then that is an unfathomably bastard move.

Then again, AT&T won't unlock iPhones even after the contract is up, which is certainly illegal in most countries, and unethical in all.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2011, 03:34 AM

^ Is that speculation, or is this known?
It's known. It's also how VZW has typically sold world phones in the past (I know the Droid 2 Global worked this way, for instance). They include a SIM card that's only good for roaming, and lock the phone to that. I do think that they will eventually unlock the phone after you've been on their service for long enough, unlike AT&T, but it is definitely SIM locked when you get it.

If Verizon, a CDMA carrier, sells you a GSM SIM card with the explicit string that the phone is SIM-locked, even though the carrier doesn't offer GSM, then that is an unfathomably bastard move.
That may be, but it's pretty par for the course with American cell phone providers. The only one that ever does anything half-decent for the customer is T-Mobile, which of course AT&T is about to consume.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 03:43 AM

What swine.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 08:52 AM

What swine.
Hence the proverb that strewing iPhones before swine is not going to get you anywhere.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 09:43 AM

Let's not get ahead of ourselves:

Verizon and Sprint to offer GSM unlocking of iPhone 4S | Electronista

It has been widely reported above and elsewhere that Verizon will unlock the World Phone capability of the iPhone 4S by request after 60 days of paid service. Sprint, it is claimed, will have the SIM unlocked from day one. Meanwhile, so far we've heard of no change to AT&T's dastardly policy of denying that iPhones locked to it can ever be unlocked. As far as we know right now, it's AT&T that's the true swine, not Verizon. Of course, AT&T also has the faster but less reliable network and slightly cheaper service.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Oct 16, 2011, 10:52 AM

Has anyone put their iPhone 4 and 4S into field test mode to measure RSSI instead of bars? I need to upload some screen caps, but side-by-side comparisons of my summer 2010 iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S show the 4S with a lot better RSSI in places where my 4 struggles. In one example in one area at home I was getting -95 while the 4S was -80. I also gave the iPhones the grip of death and watched the 4's RSSI plunge while the 4S held strong.

Field test mode is *3001#12345#*

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2011, 11:33 AM

Sprints GSM policy is the same as Verizon.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 8, 2011, 06:42 PM

I'm a bit mystified. I had read various articles (and Apple documentation) about how the two antennas on the iPhone 4s -- and the ability to switch between them -- resolved the infamous "death grip" problem on the iPhone 4. So when I purchased my iPhone 4s today, the first thing I did was insert my T-Mobile SIM (I purchased an unlocked phone) and tried holding the iPhone 4s in exactly the same position as before (in the lower left hand side), and sure enough, I saw 4 bars drop to 3, then 2, then 1, and "Searching..." Sometimes it would recover to one bar, sometimes not. Or put more objectively, in field test mode, I see RSSI go from -76 or so to -102 when I'm holding the iPhone 4S in a death grip.

But nothing that suggests that the iPhone 4s was switching to the other antenna.

I thought that I might have a bad phone, so I requested a swap, but the replacement did the same thing.

Is my experience really unique?
( Last edited by Le Flaneur; Dec 8, 2011 at 07:07 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Dec 8, 2011, 07:45 PM

Consumer Reports says the death grip has been fixed. My own experience bears this out. But on Tmo you're 2G only, no 3G. Perhaps the adaptive switching and physical antennas are exclusive to 3G? I'll try on my 4S a little late and see what happens.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 8, 2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Consumer Reports says the death grip has been fixed. My own experience bears this out. But on Tmo you're 2G only, no 3G. Perhaps the adaptive switching and physical antennas are exclusive to 3G? I'll try on my 4S a little late and see what happens.
Do you have a T-Mobile SIM? Otherwise, I don't see how you could test, because the baseband on the 4S doesn't allow one to turn off 3G

Cold Warrior
Dec 8, 2011, 09:08 PM

You're right, I'd forgotten about the 4S not having a 3G toggle. I'll be in a 2G-only area within a week and can try it then.

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 9, 2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You're right, I'd forgotten about the 4S not having a 3G toggle. I'll be in a 2G-only area within a week and can try it then.
Thanks -- I'm fascinated to know whether (and why) the antenna improvements would be limited to 2G.

Forum Links
Forum Rules