Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > samsung ram - any tips

samsung ram - any tips
reemas
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 04:38 PM

anyone have any good/bad experiences here? is this refurbished or a new chip? it seems afforable.

http://www.18004memory.com/focus.asp...5586D495BC2FA9

thanks.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 05:33 PM

Samsung RAM is usually excellent. In fact, a lot of Apple machines come direct with Samsung modules installed.

Nothing wrong quality wise,

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Jun 11, 2004, 08:28 PM

thanks for the reply. i know the ram is good, but i was just wondering about the store and this product.

anyone buy from here?

aaron6166
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2004, 03:15 AM

A good way to find out is to call them. Ask about return policies, warranty, and stuff like that. Your experience on the phone should give you an idea about their service and general attitude towards customers.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by aaron6166:
A good way to find out is to call them. Ask about return policies, warranty, and stuff like that. Your experience on the phone should give you an idea about their service and general attitude towards customers.
Yep, I agree.

For this reason I have used Crucial for years even though they are sometimes not the cheapest, Their support and backup is second to none.

vinster
Senior User
Jun 12, 2004, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Yep, I agree.

For this reason I have used Crucial for years even though they are sometimes not the cheapest, Their support and backup is second to none.
I'll back that up. I normally use Crucial UK to buy memory but recently they were out of stock of the 1GB modules for my new 15", so I ended up getting an Apple (a.k.a Samsung) module from a local reseller. No problems at all with this module.

One reason why I choose Crucial is quite some time ago, I bought a CF card for a digital camera from them. At some point after using the card, I noticed that some of my images were corrupted but for some reason never suspected the memory. I finally isolated the problem to the Crucial CF about two years after it was originally purchased when I got a new digicam and again ended up with corrupted images when using the card. So I called them, got an RMA and agreed to return the module. What surprised me is that as soon as the RMA was issued they processed the order and I had my new CF card before the old one was even sent back.

gostan
Jun 12, 2004, 09:50 AM

My 1 gig Samsung upgrade from 18004memory works perfectly in my 15.2 Albook.

I ordered online and the memory module was here in 2 days. About 6 days earlier than my bto Albook.
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

viachiangmai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2004, 11:24 AM

i bought 2 1GB Samsung modules from 1800memory this past may for my 15" Al pb. they work great. the funny thing is that the same Samsung module was being sold at two different prices on their website. if i searched for ram specific for apple, i got a price of $349. on the PC side, the same module was $277! So i did my research... and found that Samsung only made one 200 pin pc2700 ram... placed my order for the cheaper ones and hoped for the best. i later called 1800memory (service was very good btw) and they asked the technicians who said that the ram had the same specs for the apple pb.

i got my ram within the week, installed them, and everything is great. btw, i know the guy who owns a ram manufacturing company in taiwan... (i've actually seen his company's ram discussed in this forum) and in his opinion, Samsung makes the best ram although he didn't say much about compatibility issues.

i hope you find a great price! oh... and i'm still trying to find someone who wants my 2 256K sticks.
my music making partner - 1.25 GHz, 15" Aluminum Powerbook (refurb), 2 GB RAM, MS Bluetooth mouse, sfbags vertical sleeve w. flap

live to love, love to live - you have one life, but if you live it right, once is enough

Blue Flame
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2004, 11:38 AM

I've got Samsung in my Dual 1.25 and it's been great

Forum Links
Forum Rules